THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

I don't think he has the stature and arm to do well in bad winter weather, and

punishing defenses in the Browns' division.

kind of like Colt McCoy

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't like his off-field autograph shenanigans.

Like the fact that he's a winner.

Don't like his less-than-ideal height.

Like the fact that he's a playmaker.

Don't like the fact that he'll be a distraction.

Like the attention that he'll bring to the Browns.

Don't like the haunting visual of NFL linebackers breaking him into pieces.

All the other stuff is an unknown, as it is with all current quarterback prospects:

Can he read NFL defenses accurately?

Can he throw a tight spiral into small windows in the AFC North winds?

Will he make the correct decisions while under the pressure of an NFL blitz, or pass the ball underhanded to the opposition?

Can he lead the Browns to the playoffs?

I wouldn't want the Browns to select Manziel with their first of two picks in the first round - I'd prefer that they draft Sammy Watkins there. If Manziel still there when the Browns draft later in the round (23rd-ish) then, cool, grab him.

He's got the one thing you can't teach....Pocket awareness...he feels pressure and has the ability to move around and keep his eyes down field. In today's nfl were its all about getting pressure on the QB, in my opinion this is the most important trait of a NFL QB. Everything else can be taught, if you can't feel pressure and extend plays instinctively your gonna look like Brandon Weeden. And be injured most of your career

The arm strength has been in question. He has mediocre arm strength.

At the same time...@@... he has excellent arm strength. Watching him play,

I prefer to think more the mediocre part, when it comes to the NFL.

Cribbs was an exciting qb in college. A lot of qb's are terrific in college.

Manziel is probably the most exciting qb in college ball, but the step up to the NFL

is a huge one.

Links:

Search Results News for Johnny manziel arm strengthHeadlines & Global News2014 NFL Mock Draft: Johnny Manziel to the Minnesota VikingsNFL Spin Zone ‎- 1 day ago
Unlike Ponder, Manziel has excellent arm strength, and he has even more rushing ability than Ponder. But like Ponder, there are questions as ... Analyzing Johnny: Manziel polarizing NFL scouts, too - CBS Sportswww.cbssports.com/.../analyzing-johnny-manziel-polarizing-nfl-scouts-t...

‎CachedAug 26, 2013 - In terms of the NFL, a potentially critical flaw for Manziel is that he currently possesses just average arm strength. This could potentially improve ... Johnny Manziel's demolition of Alabama shows that he's NFL-ready ...mmqb.si.com/2013/09/17/johnny-manziel-nfl-future/‎Cached

Sep 17, 2013 - Johnny Manziel lacks the arm strength, the build and the choir-boy image, ... quarterback Johnny Manziel make Alabama's NFL prospect-filled, ... Johnny Manziel May Not Announce NFL Draft Decision Before ...bleacherreport.com/.../1862153-johnny-manziel-will-announce-nfl-draft...‎CachedN

ov 22, 2013 - Texas A&M superstar quarterback Johnny Manziel was reportedly set to ... than that listing—Manziel has displayed pro-caliber arm strength, ...

What are the Pros and Cons on the Browns drafting Johnny Manziel? Here are perhaps a few:

1. Pro: Publicity. No player, I believe, will provoke more discussion/debate/controversy than Johnny Football. Whichever team drafts him will have ESPN and the national media sniffing their hind quarters the whole year, the way they did with RGIII, fair to say?

Feel free to add your own Pros and Cons about him.

Screw publicity- ESPN was all over RG III um, not so much now, LOL. Hell, if Johnny Football is signing autographs now, he's going to be endorsing everything his agent can sign him up for when he can do it legit.

He's got the one thing you can't teach....Pocket awareness...he feels pressure and has the ability to move around and keep his eyes down field. In today's nfl were its all about getting pressure on the QB, in my opinion this is the most important trait of a NFL QB. Everything else can be taught, if you can't feel pressure and extend plays instinctively your gonna look like Brandon Weeden. And be injured most of your career

^+1, exactly. Add in making a quick read and getting rid of the ball in a hurry.

Texas still gets cold as hell as anyone who's ever stood around at parade at five am on lackland afb in December can attest.
Cysko

Nov-Dec? It snowed lightly in the morning, 5 am, and in the afternoon, you carried your coats and got hot marching. I attest

If the Browns draft Manziel, they will know what they are doing, and I'm with them. I don't see it, though.

I would shy away from any QB from the SEC or Big 12; there isn't much defense played down there unless its Alabama.

I also think he's too cocky, the kind of player a roid-rager like Harrison wants to destroy.

He's a winner in college, I think its less than 50-50 he makes it in the NFL.

The arm strength has been in question. He has mediocre arm strength.

At the same time...@@... he has excellent arm strength. Watching him play,

I prefer to think more the mediocre part, when it comes to the NFL.

Cribbs was an exciting qb in college. A lot of qb's are terrific in college.

Manziel is probably the most exciting qb in college ball, but the step up to the NFL

is a huge one.

He may not have an elite arm but its plenty enough to get the ball downfield and much stronger than McCoys. And remember he's only a sophomore were Colt was a senior when he came out. He's got alot more strength to gain in that arm.

I would shy away from any QB from the SEC or Big 12; there isn't much defense played down there unless its Alabama.

I also think he's too cocky, the kind of player a roid-rager like Harrison wants to destroy.

I'm confused as to which conference plays better d than the sec...

yeah but that's between SEC teams. WHen other teams play the SEC they get approx shit for points no?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/conferences/schedule/_/id/8/sec-conference

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I don't want to turn this into another thread.

I don't see Johnny Football succeeding in the NFL, just my 2 cents. I'd rather have a humble, sturdy statured QB coming out of college playing for the Browns.

Really? Peyton Manning, Eli Manning played in the SEC, Tom Brady and Drew Brees in the Big Ten.

Need I say more?

Or do you think we should just get our QBs from like Delaware because that is where Flacco went there? And the only other active SB winning QBs played in the Pac 12 and the MAC.

The biggest con in my book is that skip bayless thinks Maziel is going to be a great NFL QB. That's right, skip bayless the same guy who was sucking tebows dick even after the writing on the wall, the same guy who apparently doesn't realize that NCAA and NFL are two different games.

The biggest con in my book is that skip bayless thinks Maziel is going to be a great NFL QB. That's right, skip bayless the same guy who was sucking tebows dick even after the writing on the wall, the same guy who apparently doesn't realize that NCAA and NFL are two different games.

While I don't trust his judgment by any means, you know what they say about the blind squirrell.

Lots of us thought that so and so were going to be the man at QB....you know, names like Weeden/Quinn/Anderson/Frye etc. etc.

One day one of us will be right about one of these QBs.

Really? Peyton Manning, Eli Manning played in the SEC, Tom Brady and Drew Brees in the Big Ten.

Need I say more?

Or do you think we should just get our QBs from like Delaware because that is where Flacco went there? And the only other active SB winning QBs played in the Pac 12 and the MAC.

Different eras when Peyton & Eli played in the SEC.

I'm just preaching caution. I don't have the answer on who we should draft as a QB, I just see the SEC's defenses not as strong as they used to be.

Here is my take for what its worth on Manziel. I think he has the physical skills to succeed. He has pocket presence, he seems to want to pass first, and not run first, and he also appears cool in the pocket. My major concern is whether he will put the work in, is he mature enough to make the jump right now. If he makes the jump I think he needs to definitely start the year on the bench because he needs to be hardest working guy on the team and I am not sure he is there yet. And the SEC doesn't play great defense argument is bologna. Whether they play it at as good as they have in the past, its not relevant. They play as good as any conference in the country I bet. And Manziel has torched Alabama's vaunted defense two straight years. The dude can play, but will he do the work needed to excel at the next level.

that dude MANZIEL will get killed trying to do his roll outs PLUS not being able to see over the OL/DLines.

yeah he's a great competitor but he doesn't have the arm as brees nor the talent of russell wilson..........2 of the shortest QBs in the league.

hope he's got a great insurance policy cuz he'll be selling cars in 2 years.

that dude MANZIEL will get killed trying to do his roll outs PLUS not being able to see over the OL/DLines.

yeah he's a great competitor but he doesn't have the arm as brees nor the talent of russell wilson..........2 of the shortest QBs in the league.haha I said the exact same things about WILSON before he was drafted. Truth is, ya never know. I think he'll be great .

hope he's got a great insurance policy cuz he'll be selling cars in 2 years.

Well, Bridgewater made a believer out of me yesterday evening at the Russel Athletic Bowl game.

He's freakin SMART, decisive, freakin LOVES the game, and is incredibly accurate.

He threw for way over 400 yards - and not all that often, he can take off and show his running skills.

Yet, they said Bortles beat him out as American player of the year or something like that.

I don't doubt that Houston will nabe Bridge with the #1 overall pick.

Well, Bridgewater made a believer out of me yesterday evening at the Russel Athletic Bowl game.

He's freakin SMART, decisive, freakin LOVES the game, and is incredibly accurate.

He threw for way over 400 yards - and not all that often, he can take off and show his running skills.

Yet, they said Bortles beat him out as American player of the year or something like that.

I don't doubt that Houston will nabe Bridge with the #1 overall pick.

He sure did look good

Add that he is as competitive as can be...

Johnny has a top 3 arm in this draft. He has the highest completion percentage from the pocket in college football. Derek Carr weighs the same as Manziel and he's 3 inches taller, nobody is questioning his size. Manziel has done this against the best competition in college football. He worked on his throwing a lot and ran a lot less this year. He seems to have a knack for avoididng big hits and he gets down/out of bounds.

Agree with all except hit avoidance. The number of big shots he took in 2013 were up from 2012. Main reason seemed to me to be that the team was not as good this year and so he tried to do more than he did in 2012.

His NFL team is likely not going to be good in 2014, so the set up for BFL big hits (which of course are bigger than he took in college) is there.

He may not have an elite arm but its plenty enough to get the ball downfield and much stronger than McCoys.

Yes... stronger and undamaged.

yeah he's a great competitor but he doesn't have the arm as brees nor the talent of russell wilson..........2 of the shortest QBs in the league.

Few see "over" the line these days. All QB's need throwing lanes for short and even intermediate pass routes.

And Brees' arm isn't all that strong... I think Johnny's is easily in the same area.

Archived