Jump to content
THE BROWNS BOARD

Dwight Clark passes away, 61


Dutch Oven
 Share

Recommended Posts

Dwight Clark was born in a small town of Kinston,NC..HS sports,fishing & Double AA Kinston Indians baseball bout the only thing around. A 10th round pick from Clemson that did The Bay area proud. Farewell Dwight Clark. Far to Soon 🙏 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What can you say about this, that we all aren't thinking? Jesus, 61? People, have a toast to life this week. I am too lazy to go Google, was he sick?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dwight Clark's drafts as Browns GM 1999-2002

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Believe it or not ... He built a playoff team. Clark got into a power struggle, and lost, with Butch Davis and he left in May 2002 and Butch took over "Grand Poobah" duties. Ironically, Clark was a big part of recruiting Butch Davis.

Those 2002 Browns made the playoffs, and behind Kelly Holcomb, gave the Stillers the scare of their lives in the Wild Card Round. Davis was gone a couple years later after some bad drafts and worse coaching, and a panic attack over a regular season game with the Bengals.

Clark's most valuable pick? According to career AV, that would be Gerard Warren, but much of that not accumulated with Browns.

Value picks? Wali Rainer in the fourth, Dennis Northcutt in the 2nd, Anthony Henry in the 4th, Andra Davis in the 5th.

Zombo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

.......Believe it or not ... He built a playoff team. Clark got into a power struggle, and lost, with Butch Davis and he left in May 2002 and Butch took over "Grand Poobah" duties. Ironically, Clark was a big part of recruiting Butch Davis.

Those 2002 Browns made the playoffs, and behind Kelly Holcomb, gave the Stillers the scare of their lives in the Wild Card Round. Davis was gone a couple years later after some bad drafts and worse coaching, and a panic attack over a regular season game with the Bengals.

Clark's most valuable pick? According to career AV, that would be Gerard Warren, but much of that not accumulated with Browns.

Value picks? Wali Rainer in the fourth, Dennis Northcutt in the 2nd, Anthony Henry in the 4th, Andra Davis in the 5th.

Zombo

For all of the pretty much flop #1 picks they were getting somewhat near competitive football but all in all wasn't up to the old BROWNS football standards and just tanked after that.

I wasn't really totally impressed with coach Palmer either, don't remember who's decision that was.

I also remembered "Charmin' Carmen" Policy, his house was about 1.5 miles from mine when I first moved to Boardman, my cousin did business with his former law partner.

All in an era some BROWNS fans don't want or just care that much about remembering. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

For all of the pretty much flop #1 picks they were getting somewhat near competitive football but all in all wasn't up to the old BROWNS football standards and just tanked after that.

I wasn't really totally impressed with coach Palmer either, don't remember who's decision that was.

I also remembered "Charmin' Carmen" Policy, his house was about 1.5 miles from mine when I first moved to Boardman, my cousin did business with his former law partner.

All in an era some BROWNS fans don't want or just care that much about remembering. 

Clark sure had an eye for WRs.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's not get all revisionist history here...

Dwight Clark was a helluva player, but he was not a good GM. He wasn't even hired to be the GM, but because the NFL put the Browns behind the 8 ball by giving them virtually no time to start their franchise, he kind of fell into the position. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2018 at 11:46 PM, boo fagley said:

Johnson, Northcutt, Davis and Morgan.

All great WRs. Add Andra Davis, Courtney Brown. Warren was a very decent DT. 

 

Courtney Brown never lived up to his draft status. Warren was a journeyman at best, mostly not with the Browns. And I haven't forgotten we took " Spare Change" with Ladanian Tomlinson and Richard Seymour still on the board either. MHO rates as a top 5 Browns draft screw up.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

Best catch of a throwaway pass ever.  Will always be remembered for that.

QB Joe Cool never saw his pass or completion.....well except on the countless replays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, hoorta said:

Courtney Brown never lived up to his draft status. Warren was a journeyman at best, mostly not with the Browns. And I haven't forgotten we took " Spare Change" with Ladanian Tomlinson and Richard Seymour still on the board either. MHO rates as a top 5 Browns draft screw up.

Brown showed spurts of being great as I recall. Injuries did him in as I look back.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowCo22.htm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Brown showed spurts of being great as I recall. Injuries did him in as I look back.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowCo22.htm

Then he's an "injury bust", not as bad as Ki-Jana Carter. But certainly not worth the #1 overall pick. You expect a multi time pro bowl HOFer on the level of a Lawrence Taylor drafting that high. It happens, Aundray Bruce is another example. Also way back we drafted a high potential wr by the name of Lawyer Tillman, who couldn't stay healthy. I just hope Corey Coleman isn't on a similar career track.

I don't remember who said it, but Brown got called out for being "soft". :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/8/2018 at 2:36 PM, hoorta said:

Damn, you made me use Google? It was Warren Sapp.   http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/20021014/NEWS/310149988

I was at that game. They lined Sapp up at fullback and he plowed straight over Brown.

Ya, Courtney was an athletic freak, but he was softspoken and didn't have that killer instinct. Shouldn't have been taken #1 overall. I wanted Arrington, Penn State's brash leader that draft, he was a great one but career curtailed to injury.

Zombo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

I was at that game. They lined Sapp up at fullback and he plowed straight over Brown.

Ya, Courtney was an athletic freak, but he was softspoken and didn't have that killer instinct. Shouldn't have been taken #1 overall. I wanted Arrington, Penn State's brash leader that draft, he was a great one but career curtailed to injury.

Zombo

Let's just hope mild mannered Myles turns out better. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Let's just hope mild mannered Myles turns out better. :)

Reggie White was mild mannered.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm finally going to comment on this.

61 years old.  One of my best friends only made it to 57.  My brother, 59.  Another best friend, 62.  My life-long best friend (Vikings fan), 63.

WTF.  I thought we were supposed to be living LONGER in this day and age...

SOMEBODY, ANYBODY, fire up that CRIPSR thing!!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Orion said:

I'm finally going to comment on this.

61 years old.  One of my best friends only made it to 57.  My brother, 59.  Another best friend, 62.  My life-long best friend (Vikings fan), 63.

WTF.  I thought we were supposed to be living LONGER in this day and age...

SOMEBODY, ANYBODY, fire up that CRIPSR thing!!  

I recall hearing something once that ex-pro football players have one of the shortest life expectancies of any profession, not too far behind coal miners. 

Wrap your head around that for a second. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...