THE BROWNS BOARD

Safety Mike Brown visit Browns?

marqui

John Clayton said on ''The Huddle'' that Mike Brown will visit Cleveland. He said he will meet with the Chiefs first. The Bears was forced to let him walk.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/06/sa...own_making.html

I have no problem with adding another lock down safety. He claimed that Ty Law has contected the Browns also. I wonder if the Browns will add another vet? Law played better then expected last year. I wish the Browns would take a look at Ellis to help out the defense.

John Clayton said on ''The Huddle'' that Mike Brown will visit Cleveland. He said he will meet with the Chiefs first. The Bears was forced to let him walk.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/06/sa...own_making.html

I have no problem with adding another lock down safety. He claimed that Ty Law has contected the Browns also. I wonder if the Browns will add another vet? Law played better then expected last year. I wish the Browns would take a look at Ellis to help out the defense.

Ellis is a me first guy with character issues. Can't see him on a Mangini team.

Hmmm. . . not sure what to take from that 'Highlites' video, that really only showed a few plays (a few of them over and over) and two of which should have drawn personal foul penalties. (The hit on Pollard did, and the later hit on the Packers receiver should have).

So if he comes in, maybe we can count on him for a few untimely personal foul penalties?

To give credit, he did wrap up Favre pretty well on that sack.

Yay!

Guest Aloysius

Unfortunately, all the injuries over the years have sapped some of Brown's speed and a lot of his agility.

He looked awfully stiff last year - I'm not sure he's got anything left in the tank.

Unfortunately, all the injuries over the years have sapped some of Brown's speed and a lot of his agility.

He looked awfully stiff last year - I'm not sure he's got anything left in the tank.

Do you think ultimately he'd start over Pool or Elam? Is he just looked at as depth over Adams? This guy was a helluva player and playmaker for a few years and really intrigues me.

I wonder what Mangini thinks of Pool.

Guest Aloysius
Do you think ultimately he'd start over Pool or Elam? Is he just looked at as depth over Adams? This guy was a helluva player and playmaker for a few years and really intrigues me.

I was intrigued as well, so I went back and looked at a few games from last year. Unfortunately, it looks like the guy is close to done. You can tell that he's lost a step or two. Worse, he's become so stiff that he's no longer a good open field tackler: I saw him give up big TD runs to Adrian Peterson and Pierre Thomas because he couldn't turn his hips and make the play.

If he comes in, I think he serve as a veteran mentor to Elam and Pool, only starting if one of them gets hurt or struggles badly.

Me too. One thing that bugs me about Pool is how completely incapable he is of getting off blocks. The only plays he makes in the run game are when he's able to knife through the defense untouched. But when a lineman, tight end, or even a receiver locks on to him, he's easily ridden out of the play.

He just doesn't have great upper body strength, which is part of the reason why he has so many of his tackles broken.

Guest Aloysius

Here's what Mangini said at today's press conference:

"Brodney's got excellent athleticism and speed and those physical characteristics. And getting to know him more as a player, he does have some familiarity with the coverages that carry over from the system I have and the system that Romeo ran. There is quite a bit of carryover, so that's a plus as well.

And the key will be to have balanced safeties, so either one can play back, either one can play up. And Brodney's shown the ability to do both those things."

Guest Aloysius

And on Brown's visit:

"The visit went well. Mike's a guy that I've watched for a long time.

And with any of these guys that we bring in: sometimes we sign them right away, sometimes it could be during training camp, sometimes we don't. It's to gather information and to be able to put ourselves in the position to make a decision at whatever time we think we'd like to do that."

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

More from Tony Grossi:

Hey, Tony: Safety Mike Brown visited the Browns. What is the story? Are the Browns going to sign him? -- Angelo Costanzo, Cleveland

Hey, Angelo: It doesn't appear to be in the cards. But I do get the feeling the Browns are not quite comfortable with their free safety situation. Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan said it's a very difficult position in the Browns' scheme. I sense they will continue to look for a smarter player to man that position, currently held down by Brodney Pool.

Archived