THE BROWNS BOARD

Name game trivia

The Gipper

Here are a set of trivia I call Name Game Trivia. Includes some football and some baseball stuff:

1. The following Pro Football Hall of Famers attended college in Ohio. Name the Ohio school each attended:

Paul Brown

Al Davis

Weeb Ewbank

Sid Gillman

Lou Groza

Jack Lambert

Dante Lavelli

Chuck Noll

Jim Parker

Don Shula

Emlen Tunnell

Paul Warfield

Bill Willis

2. What college did the original African American in the NFL, Fritz Pollard, attend?

3. What college has Nick Montana, son of Joe Montana, committed to attend?

4. On the Browns all time roster, alphabetically, who is the very first person listed? The very last?

5. In the Browns last playoff victory in 1994, they played the 4-3. Two of the starting linebackers were Pepper Johnson and Carl Banks. What high school did the third starting linebacker attend?

6. What current Major League baseball team was once known as The Perfectos?

7. What current MLB team were originally known as The Washington Senators?

8. What current MLB team was originally known as the Chicago White Stockings?

9. What current MLB team was originally known as the Baltimore Orioles?

10. What current MLB team was originally known as the Milwaukee Brewers?

11. What current MLB team at one time went by each of the following nicknames: Atlantics, Grays, Bridegrooms, Superbas

12. What current MLB team at one time went by each of the following nicknames: Red Caps, Beaneaters, Doves, Rustlers, Bees

Here are a set of trivia I call Name Game Trivia. Includes some football and some baseball stuff:

1. The following Pro Football Hall of Famers attended college in Ohio. Name the Ohio school each attended:

Paul Brown

Al Davis

Weeb Ewbank

Sid Gillman

Lou Groza

Jack Lambert

Dante Lavelli

Chuck Noll

Jim Parker

Don Shula

Emlen Tunnell

Paul Warfield

Bill Willis

2. What college did the original African American in the NFL, Fritz Pollard, attend?

3. What college has Nick Montana, son of Joe Montana, committed to attend?

4. On the Browns all time roster, alphabetically, who is the very first person listed? The very last?

5. In the Browns last playoff victory in 1994, they played the 4-3. Two of the starting linebackers were Pepper Johnson and Carl Banks. What high school did the third starting linebacker attend?

7. What current MLB team were originally known as The Washington Senators?

8. What current MLB team was originally known as the Chicago White Stockings?

9. What current MLB team was originally known as the Baltimore Orioles?

10. What current MLB team was originally known as the Milwaukee Brewers?

11. What current MLB team at one time went by each of the following nicknames: Atlantics, Grays, Bridegrooms, Superbas

12. What current MLB team at one time went by each of the following nicknames: Red Caps, Beaneaters, Doves, Rustlers, Bees

Hold on.....

Someone named their kid "Weeb"?!

Hold on.....

Someone named their kid "Weeb"?!

It might be a nickname, but are going to tell me you have never heard of Weeb Ewbank?

He was the Head Coach of the Baltimore Colts in "The Greatest Game ever played" and won two titles with the Colts in 1958 and 1959. Then he went on to coach the Jets in Super Bowl III in perhaps the seminal moment in NFL history.

Tsk, tsk, tsk on you if you never heard of him

It might be a nickname, but are going to tell me you have never heard of Weeb Ewbank?

He was the Head Coach of the Baltimore Colts in "The Greatest Game ever played" and won two titles with the Colts in 1958 and 1959. Then he went on to coach the Jets in Super Bowl III in perhaps the seminal moment in NFL history.

Tsk, tsk, tsk on you if you never heard of him

I've heard of the game.

It happened the same year my father was born.

OK, since you knew that bit of trivia, why don't you try your hand at the rest of it?

Next time make one of these that you don't have to be 50+ to know any of the answers :(

We're not all ancient here :P

Next time make one of these that you don't have to be 50+ to know any of the answers :(

We're not all ancient here :P

Age has nothing to do with it. Knowledge has everything to do with it. You are simply demonstrating that you are a dumb sports fan, if you are a sports fan at all.

Since when did you have to be 50+ to know where Nick Montana is going to school? The information regarding that question is like 2 days old.

And for the answer to some of these questions you would have to be like 150 years old to know, not 50. It is called reading about and knowing a little about the sports you say you attempt to follow. It is not a matter of age.

Age has nothing to do with it. Knowledge has everything to do with it. You are simply demonstrating that you are a dumb sports fan, if you are a sports fan at all.

Since when did you have to be 50+ to know where Nick Montana is going to school? The information regarding that question is like 2 days old.

And for the answer to some of these questions you would have to be like 150 years old to know, not 50. It is called reading about and knowing a little about the sports you say you attempt to follow. It is not a matter of age.

I was only referring to question #1, don't get your panties in a bunch.

Did I say I attempt to follow anything specifically? No

I dont know who you think you are, but you need to get a damn grip old timer.

Paul Brown Norwalk then OSU and Miami

Al Davis

Weeb Ewbank Miami

Sid Gillman Ohio State

Lou Groza Martins Ferry to OSU

Jack Lambert Crestwood to Kent State

Dante Lavelli Hudson to Ohio State

Chuck Noll Benedictine to Dayton?

Jim Parker Ohio State

Don Shula Painesville Harvey to John Carrol----same school as London Fletcher

Emlen Tunnell

Paul Warfield Warren Harding to Ohio State

Bill Willis Ohio State

3. What college has Nick Montana, son of Joe Montana, committed to attend? Washington Huskies

4. On the Browns all time roster, alphabetically, who is the very first person listed? The very last? I think I got these cuz I remember looking at the roster before. I like reminiscing on the all time roster once in awhile. These were recent and I believe it would be Abdul Jabbar and Rahim Abdullah followed by Paul Zukauskas, a guy I just brought up not long ago in another thread. Some other recent Z's were Zahursky, Zeier (sp) and of course Zastudil.

5. In the Browns last playoff victory in 1994, they played the 4-3. Two of the starting linebackers were Pepper Johnson and Carl Banks. What high school did the third starting linebacker attend? Frank Stams attended St. Vincent St. Mary the same high school as LeBron. I know Frank on a casual basis and below is an interview of him and what he's doing now. He's the color man for Akron Football.

7. What current MLB team were originally known as The Washington Senators? The Washington Nationals?

8. What current MLB team was originally known as the Chicago White Stockings? The White Sox

9. What current MLB team was originally known as the Baltimore Orioles? Baltimore Orioles

10. What current MLB team was originally known as the Milwaukee Brewers? Atlanta Braves?

The baseball ones are too dang hard but I guessed at some.

"Around 20 Questions" With... former Notre Dame linebacker Frank Stams

By Michael Rothstein

The Journal Gazette

Stams -- With A Nasty Hit

Welcome to the latest installation of "Around 20 Questions," a regular fixture on Insights. Three of these appear each week with the schedule being Mondays -- non-revenue athletes/coaches; Wednesday -- an athletic alumni/former coach; Thursday -- football/men's basketball/women's basketball player or coach. If there is anyone you want us to talk to or any tips on who inside the wacky Notre Dame world might be a good, pithy interview subject, drop an e-mail to mrothstein@jg.net. Frank Stams is a former Notre Dame defensive end, part of the 1988 National Championship team and an impressive defense along with Michael Stonebreaker and Wes Pritchett.

Irish Insights: In the past 20 years, what have you been up to?

Frank Stams: "Oh, well, I'm married and I finished my NFL career with the Browns and met my wife here in Northeast Ohio. We both live in Akron and we have two small children, a girl, 7, and a boy, 6. I do the color for the University of Akron on the radio broadcast and I work as a Vice President of the Evans Insurance Agency in Akron, Ohio."

II: How'd you get involved with the play-by-play stuff?

FS: "Actually, the Browns called me. Akron called the Browns looking for a former player and the Browns called me and said 'Hey, you're in the area, it's in your backyard, would you be interested in it?' After they saw I had a heartbeat, they hired me."

II: Were you surprised to get that call? Was it something you ever thought you'd do?

FS: "I was kind of surprised because I wasn't out pursuing that but now I have my own radio show out here in town on Monday nights from 6-7 and I love, as you probably can tell, I love talking about football and I love talking about my experience."

II: What was that first game like doing the color? Was that more nerve wracking than playing?

FS: "Way more nerve wracking. Let me tell you something. I should have done it with my helmet and shoulder pads on, I would have felt much more comfortable. But yeah, I was definitely a fish out of water that whole first season. Then, I talked to some people in the business, Roger Valdiserri, the sports information director at Notre Dame when I was there has helped me out a great deal and also some local talent here."

II: Do you remember that first game, who it was against?

FS: "Yeah, it was against Penn State. So that didn't help things."

II: Have you listened to that tape since?

FS: "No, no, no. I need to go and listen to myself do the games because I understand that's how you get better but I haven't brought myself to that part yet."

II: A lot of times when you talk to radio people, they say they don't remember half of what they say. Are you like that?

FS: "It's like when I played. I remember exactly everything I did on that football field and I remember exactly everything I do in that radio booth."

II: Is that a good thing?

FS: "It serves me well for getting me better. It served me well on the football field getting me better because you're always replay, replay, replay. It's what they do in film study, just replay, replay, replay, watch yourself, watch yourself, watch yourself to get better. I guess I'm my own worst critic."

II: Getting with the insurance stuff, you're a vice president?

FS: "Yeah, Evans Insurance Agency and working with an investment position."

II: I'm guessing that's more the route you saw yourself going when you got done with football.

FS: "It's something I work with great people. It's something I like doing and it's something that I can spend time with my family."

II: What's next weekend going to be like (at the 20-year national championship reunion)? Have you thought about that?

FS: "Oh man, it's going to be great. It's going to be a lot of emotions flying around, guys just seeing each other. I talked to Barry (Alvarez) and he's not going to be able to make it but I got to find a Fathead of him so we can stick him up and all take a picture around him."

II: You couldn't have just stolen the statue from Wisconsin last week (Akron played at Wisconsin)?

FS: "Hahahaha."

II: When you're on the radio, is there a line you have? Have you developed your own style, your own catchphrases?

FS: "Nah. But Don Criqui gave me a bit of advice. Don't be afraid to develop one of those catchphrases, to say something bold. I'm in the process of doing that."

II: How long have you been doing it now?

FS: "This is my fourth year. I never thought up until this year that it was something that I would want to pursue, but it is something I would want to pursue."

II: So are career aspirations beyond, to be on the national level?

FS: "That'd be nice. That'd be nice."

II: Would you consider coming back to Notre Dame to do it?

FS: "Absolutely. In a heartbeat."

I was only referring to question #1, don't get your panties in a bunch.

Did I say I attempt to follow anything specifically? No

I dont know who you think you are, but you need to get a damn grip old timer.

I definitely have a grip. It is you who should get a better grip on sports knowledge. A true sports fan needs to know about the history of the game. Grip a book or a magazine or a website.

I definitely have a grip. It is you who should get a better grip on sports knowledge. A true sports fan needs to know about the history of the game. Grip a book or a magazine or a website.

I absolutely zero interest in MLB history what-so-ever.

And again, age has a lot to do with it, where else do you get the TIME to read sports history except for being alive long enough to do it?

I bet you didn't know much of this at 24 either.

Paul Brown Norwalk then OSU and Miami

Al Davis

Weeb Ewbank Miami

Sid Gillman Ohio State

Lou Groza Martins Ferry to OSU

Jack Lambert Crestwood to Kent State

Dante Lavelli Hudson to Ohio State

Chuck Noll Benedictine to Dayton?

Jim Parker Ohio State

Don Shula Painesville Harvey to John Carrol----same school as London Fletcher

Emlen Tunnell

Paul Warfield Warren Harding to Ohio State

Bill Willis Ohio State

Right on all of the above, except that Paul Brown did not graduate from OSU, but did go on to coach there.

3. What college has Nick Montana, son of Joe Montana, committed to attend? Washington Huskies

Right.

4. On the Browns all time roster, alphabetically, who is the very first person listed? The very last? I think I got these cuz I remember looking at the roster before. I like reminiscing on the all time roster once in awhile. These were recent and I believe it would be Abdul Jabbar and Rahim Abdullah followed by Paul Zukauskas, a guy I just brought up not long ago in another thread. Some other recent Z's were Zahursky, Zeier (sp) and of course Zastudil.

You are correct, it is Lew Alcindor....err Karim Abdul Jabbar who is first and Zukauskas last.

5. In the Browns last playoff victory in 1994, they played the 4-3. Two of the starting linebackers were Pepper Johnson and Carl Banks. What high school did the third starting linebacker attend? Frank Stams attended St. Vincent St. Mary the same high school as LeBron. I know Frank on a casual basis and below is an interview of him and what he's doing now. He's the color man for Akron Football.

Correctumundo!

7. What current MLB team were originally known as The Washington Senators? The Washington Nationals?

NO

8. What current MLB team was originally known as the Chicago White Stockings? The White Sox

NO

9. What current MLB team was originally known as the Baltimore Orioles? Baltimore Orioles

NO

10. What current MLB team was originally known as the Milwaukee Brewers? Atlanta Braves?

NO

Nice job with the Stams interview. A friend of mine is the President of the Evans Agency...or another VP. Not sure.

Gipper, i embaraased that, for questions 2-12, i only knew 2 of the answers. However, i did enjoy the readings as i looked up the answers. i was very surprised by the Baltimore Orioles answer. Here is a question for you.... Does your question #7 about the Washington Senators have two answers (two teams)?

Gipper, i embaraased that, for questions 2-12, i only knew 2 of the answers. However, i did enjoy the readings as i looked up the answers. i was very surprised by the Baltimore Orioles answer. Here is a question for you.... Does your question #7 about the Washington Senators have two answers (two teams)?

Yes, it does

I absolutely zero interest in MLB history what-so-ever.

And again, age has a lot to do with it, where else do you get the TIME to read sports history except for being alive long enough to do it?

I bet you didn't know much of this at 24 either.

I am not saying that I even know this stuff at the age I am at. It isn't your lack of knowledge that bugs me, it is the piss poor attitude...like you think that nothing matters if it didn't happen since your silly butt was born. That is very PittsburghSteelerfannish of you. I expect Steeler fans to think and act dumb. I do NOT expect it of Browns fans. Browns fans are knowledgeable, intelligent, and cognizant of history. Steeler fans are not. Anyone here on these boards can back me up on that. Don't let that pee yellow and black fungus infect you.

Damn I got my ass handed to me on the baseball stuff and I know quite a bit of baseball history.

Adam, it is neither right nor wrong that you don't know history or don't rally care, but I knew more at 15 then I do now for whatever that's worth. But I was a geek like that and so was Gipper probably.

BTW Gipper, I didn't say Brown graduated from OSU, hence the "and Miami."

Archived