THE BROWNS BOARD

NJ's TRI-MUSHROOM BORDELAISE for steaks and chops or as a side dish

mjp28

This is more a fine dining dish than a GAMEDAY dish so I put it here, thought I had it up once before......even hoorta has to like this one. ;)

(here is one of my favorite mushroom dishes ;) edit add....oh NJ is my wife, a great scratch cook )

NJ's TRI-MUSHROOM BORDELAISE for steaks and chops or as a side dish, serves 4

In a one quart sausepan:
2 Tbsp butter or margarine
2 Tbsp flour 
Cook together in saucepan stirring often until lightly browned 

Dry ingredients:
1 1/2 Tbsp minced onions or shallots
1 Tbsp minced dry pasrley
1 Bay leaf
1/4 tsp thyme crushed
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground pepper

Add dry ingredients to the butter and flour
Then slowly stir in:
10 1/2 oz. Beef broth
3/4 cup good red wine

Increase heat to medium high; cook stirring constantly until thick; remove Bay leaf

Add sauce to mushrooms that have been sautéed in butter; add snipped Parsley to garnish
1 cup Portabella mushrooms (a very large, rich-flavored cremini mushroom, often grilled, broiled, or sautéed)
1 cup Button mushrooms (a young unopened white mushroom)
1 cup Shiitake mushrooms (a large, meaty, black or dark brown mushroom)

*edit - adding a crushed clove of garlic to dry ingredients is optional....and also pretty good

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And when I saw part of the title to click on I was sure I was going to see something about a bordello in NJ where they offer some kind of special mushrooms as part of the package deal.🍄👸

No, this is an awesome steak or chop sauce or I like it better slightly thicker as a side dish......mmmmmushrooms!

.........edit add, this is basically a rue I like mine thicker like my old favorite steak house here used to make, it's not on the menu now but my favorite waitresses used to make it for me almost like a thick soup, some like it like a steak sauce. To each his own.

• 3 months later...

With the holidays near I bumped this one up. We're having a beef and mushroom with pearl onions dish -but- I always like my tri mushroom bordalaise......ummmmm. :D

On 12/15/2018 at 1:05 PM, The Gipper said:

I ate a quarter pounder at McDonald's yesterday.   Last night it was chicken nuggets TV dinner.  This morning it was  Ham cheese and mushroom omelet with home fries.

And what are you getting for your 11th birthday?  :lol:

No seriously there is a time and place for quickie fast food some are good once in awhile. When we both were working it was more brown bag, white bag, white box stuff......but not now. We get pizza maybe once or twice a month. Same with burgers & fries to go but not a lot now, I'd prefer cheese and crackers with olives like yesterday.

I've never eaten so good and oddly healthy and economically in my life, just takes a little planning and a desire to cook, we both enjoy cooking.

It all starts with that big nat gas grill in the backyard, our cookbook collection..... and we cook!

........edit add, BTW ham, cheese, mushroom omlet sounds good. Add a few red and green peppers maybe some onion......mmmmm.

18 hours ago, The Gipper said:

When I go out to breakfast on Saturday mornings I will often get a ham, cheese mushroom omelet.  Made by the restaurant I go to.

Otherwise, I eat a bowl of cereal, or a sausage egg mcmuffin. 

Last night I ate a TV dinner,  salisbury steak I think.  

Confession of a foodie I occasionally like a GOOD TV dinner not junk, I like high protein also I'm not really a sweets eater......except chips once in awhile.

From Amazon Prime Pantry, shelf stable, quick snack $1.80- $2.00 delivered and good......  (the other varieties are good too)

Screenshot_2018-12-21-09-07-18.png

16 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

You eat that garbage?  

I was surprised how good it was.

My wife bought some Marie Callendar salsbury steak TV dinners on sale and it was like dog food compared to the Hormel beef tips.

.......edit add, she said like bad dog food and threw it out. And yes food can be subjective, regional, quirky at times -but- most can be graded on a scale like A to F.

Oh what we're having for Christmas dinner from one of our favorite cooks Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa.

Screenshot_2018-12-22-12-16-11.png

I had this for our annual New Year's Dinner (which we go for early to avoid the crowds).

An 8 oz. filet mignon NEW ORLEANS Topped with sautéed crawfish tails, scallions, béarnaise sauce, over red wine pepper sauce. Had a decent and generous glass of red Zinfandel wine from the excellent Zin wine growing region of Lodi, California. Split a jumbo shrimp cocktail appetizer with wifey. It was at a restaurant on the square in Georgetown in a window seat looking out at the Xmas lite square. Perfect way to celebrate without crowds or drunks on the highway afterwards. Wifey agreed to be my designated driver since I never drink and drive.🍷😍

What's better than a special meal dine in, take out or make at home......one of life's nice things.  :)

........oh our Ina's beef bourguignon was fantastic, first time and had with a friend. When it's "company ready" you know it's good and it's a relativly an easy one pot dinner. Our friend brought her deviled eggs and rolls.

11 hours ago, hammertime said:

Let NJ know her recipe is spot on.

Used your recipe x5 and had an entire pot of mushroom goodness.

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Folks had an entire side dish of mushroom to do what they wanted to do with.

Well we are glad you enjoyed it!

It has been one of my favorites since the late 1980s from a steakhouse near our house.......which they discontinued about 10 years ago so my wife did her own recipe on it. I like it on the thick side as a side dish or it is basically a rue so you can go lighter if you wish.

The tri mushrooms really make the flavor!  :)

.........oh we grow and dry our own herbs but go garden or store bought it is fine, home grown tend to have more of a kick so season to taste.

Archived