THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp mangini opens

ballpeen

by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter

Thursday June 11, 2009, 1:18 PM

Lonnie Timmons III/The Plain DealerRain didn't prevent Browns head coach Eric Mangini from holding mandatory Browns minicamp outside today.

Updated at 8 p.m.

BEREA -- "Singing in the Rain" isn't on Eric Mangini's music playlist, but practicing in the rain is.

The Browns' coach kept his team outdoors during a steady rain for two hours at his first practice of mandatory minicamp this morning.

Even players rehabilitating injuries and not on the field with the team rode stationary bikes or worked with trainers in the rain.

"It's football. It's rain. You've got to work in it, got to understand it," Mangini said. "We're always trying to have players' safety first. Rain is something we'll have to deal with. I think the more educated they are, the better they are on how to avoid injures."

Cleveland Browns mandatory mini-camp report

Running back Jamal Lewis, who did not participate in team drills while recovering from offseason ankle surgery, said in nine previous NFL seasons he didn't recall having a minicamp practice in June in a steady rain.

"But at the same time, I think Mangini has a point to everything he does ... there's a meaning to everything he does," Lewis said. "I think he knows on Sunday we're going to get rain sometimes, so why not? It's kind of fun to play out in the rain a little bit."

It's not the inconvenience of getting wet that compels most coaches to move practices indoors, of course. It's the risk of injury. There were no apparent injuries in the morning practice.

Mangini said the only thing that would prompt him to move practice indoors was lightning.

Receiver Braylon Edwards, who also did not practice because of a previous, unspecified injury, said avoiding injury was on players' minds.

"But these guys are professionals," Edwards said. "We come out here and do this pretty much year-round. We keep each other safe. We don't try to run into each other. We try to keep each other up. Guys are being professional. It worked today."

Edwards said there was benefit to practicing in the rain at such an early stage of the preseason.

"It's the worst and the best weather to practice in," he said. "You get used to catching in the rain ... and not slipping. Because on game days, this can't be an excuse, raining. So it's good early to get this weather in and get used to it. Because this is what happens in Cleveland."

The players, and media, got no relief from the rain after practice. Interviews were conducted in the rain and not moved inside the practice facility, another departure from the past.

Still Kicking: Kicker Phil Dawson, who skipped all the voluntary practices and minicamps to protest his contract situation, did attend the morning session. Dawson, who could have been fined a maximum of $8,000 a day for missing the mandatory minicamp, declined to discuss his dispute with the club. Dawson executed a few onside kicks and did not miss a field goal at the conclusion of practice.

Another take from Mary Kay

Cleveland Browns receiver Braylon Edwards is nursing unspecified injury: Browns Insider

by Mark Kay Cabot/Plain Dealer Reporter

Thursday June 11, 2009, 10:16 PM

Lonnie Timmons III/The Plain DealerBraylon Edwards, nursing an unspecified injury, didn't practice with the team Thursday, but did work out on a stationary bike, did push-ups and pulled a sled.

Receiver Braylon Edwards sat out the first day of mandatory minicamp Thursday with an unspecified injury, but he said it's nothing serious.

Coach Eric Mangini also said Edwards will be fine for the start of training camp in late July or early August.

Edwards said he was "slightly" injured at some point this off-season, but "I'm physically fine for the most part. Coach Mangini is taking precaution, so I'm just enjoying my time right now, doing some things on the side and following coach's orders."

The most recent time Edwards participated in a practice was with the Indians. On May 29, a day off from voluntary Browns workouts, Edwards donned an Indians uniform and took batting practice before a game with the Yankees. He dazzled observers by ripping one over the left-field wall and into the bleachers. Afterward, he trotted around the bases.

The following week, he missed all four sessions of organized team activities. But a source close to Edwards said his major-league dalliance has nothing to do with his absence from the football field.

Edwards declined to reveal his injury because Mangini doesn't want his players discussing their injuries publicly.

Could he play if it were the regular season?

"If Mangini told me to play, I'd play," he said.

Mangini said of Edwards: "We're working through it. We'll see how it goes and evaluate it over the course of the weekend."

Edwards spent both practices riding a stationery bike, doing push-ups and pulling a sled. With Edwards sidelined, rookies Brian Robiskie and Mohamed Massaquoi have begun to develop some chemistry with Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson. Massaquoi caught a deep sideline pass from Anderson in team drills and another deep ball over Brandon McDonald from Quinn in 7-on-7s.

Despite his absence from drills, Edwards is trying to contribute any way he can.

"I'm not trying to just stand around and be a bump on a log," he said. "I'm talking to [brian] Daboll and trying to see what he's thinking as he puts plays in and what's the overall goal and objective per play," Edwards said, referring to the offensive coordinator. "I'm also trying to help the young guys out.

"When those guys come to me, I don't want to not be able to answer a question, so it's forcing me to study the offense more and even study defenses and other positions."

Dawson mum: Kicker Phil Dawson declined to discuss his absence from the three weeks of voluntary camps and his desire for a new deal.

He admitted to being rusty, but reminded folks it's only June.

"Phil looked good in the field-goal drill at the end of practice," said Mangini. "He had no misses. I'm really happy with the things Phil did, and I'm happy to have him back."

Foster fits: New offensive tackle George Foster (6-5, 338), signed last week, spent much of the day working at right tackle, with Ryan Tucker next to him at guard. The two made an imposing duo on that side.

"Most definitely I'm hungry," said Foster. "I'm ready to get after it. I'm excited for myself and excited for the team. The main thing is to win games. When you're winning games, everybody is happy and everybody's a great player."

Foster, a former first-round pick who spent the past two seasons in Detroit, likes what he sees here.

"This is my opinion from watching and playing against them, but it's a team that's right on the bubble and for one reason or another the wins haven't happened," he said. "But I think we have a lot of good pieces on this team, and I think most people who know the game would say the same thing."

Extra points: Guard Eric Steinbach was back in action at left guard after missing last week. . . . Jamal Lewis (ankle) was present but idle while coming back from his ankle scope. . . . Safety Abe Elam picked off a deep pass from Anderson to Lance Leggett and D'Qwell Jackson made a rolling pick of a deep Anderson ball that was deflected. Many players had to take laps for mistakes during the pair of soggy two-hour sessions, including Akron native Bryan Williams for a facemask, Quinn, Shaun Smith and Syndric Steptoe.

Yet another psychological tactic by Mangini to see how his team responds to any form of adversity or unusual element. This guy seems to miss no opportunity in doing so.

This is great coaching.

You're going to get noise/music on Sundays, so why not practice with it?

You may get rain on Sundays, so why not practice in it?

The rookie bus ride can also be lumped in with this.

All that's left now is for Mangini to stick his team in a meat locker now to simulate December in Cleveland. I wouldn't put it past him.

Yet another psychological tactic by Mangini to see how his team responds to any form of adversity or unusual element. This guy seems to miss no opportunity in doing so.

This is great coaching.

You're going to get noise/music on Sundays, so why not practice with it?

You may get rain on Sundays, so why not practice in it?

The rookie bus ride can also be lumped in with this.

All that's left now is for Mangini to stick his team in a meat locker now to simulate December in Cleveland. I wouldn't put it past him.

They should lay turf on the ice and practice in a hockey rink :)

Football on skates would be sweet....

During the month of June under both Butch & Romeo I was equally impressed...

Lets see how the wins come once the games have meaning----I believe LeCharles went down under sunny skys....

I like what I see so far but give me some slack if I'm not all google eyes at this time of the year...My bubble has been busted too many times previously...

peace

T.Dawg

Another take from Mary Kay

Extra points: Guard Eric Steinbach was back in action at left guard after missing last week. . . . Jamal Lewis (ankle) was present but idle while coming back from his ankle scope. . . . Safety Abe Elam picked off a deep pass from Anderson to Lance Leggett and D'Qwell Jackson made a rolling pick of a deep Anderson ball :lol: that was deflected. Many players had to take laps for mistakes during the pair of soggy two-hour sessions, including Akron native Bryan Williams for a facemask, Quinn, Shaun Smith and Syndric Steptoe.

Im glad you included the extra point in this article! I bet running laps is a new adventure in Berea.

Archived