THE BROWNS BOARD

Was Letterman Over the Line?

I can't stand the guy - never could - so I can't answer objectively.

So.............let's open it up for conversation.

I've always like his show.

But:

Can we just imagine if Obama's baby momma was called a ho and her daughters fu*king Shaquille O Neal was the joke....

Ya think some heads would roll?

WSS

He wasnt over the line with the Bristol Palin joke ,because anyone with common sense knows he was talking abour abstinence crusade,crude but not out of bounds.

The slut reference I can see people being offended and yeah he was probably out of line and he did apologize.

Its a comedy show and unlike milk toast Leno he does skirt the fence from time to time but nothing to get all bent out of shape over.

Unless of courst it's Don Imus.

WSS

Steve two seconds after John starts this thread you go diving into black jokes?

Stay on topic ,Dave Letterman-Sarah Palin,

Doesnt get any whiter than that.

Oh I know.

It's fun to call a white bitch a ho.

And it wasn't a joke.

If it'd been Michelle Obama Letterman would be off the air.

And if it isn't politically correct enough for ya make it Hillary and Chelsea.

WSS

ok Sarah Palin was the one preaching abstinence and it was her own daughter who "broke the rule" .. so there is a political sense of humor in that. Now what David Letterman said was in poor humor, I wish he had chosen his words more carefully but simply pulling Michelle Obama into it is cheap.

For all the jokes that comedians make on Geroge W bush ... how many make jokes on Laura bush ? She did nothing wrong, silly had her own views mucked up and no one made fun of her. Same with Michelle Obama.

And Hillary Clinton has been mocked many times in SNL, Jay Leno and Letterman.

Dan thinks its funny to call a woman a whore or a slut unless the name calling is coming from the other side of the street and aimed in his direction. Sounds just like a bunch of inner city kids cutting on each others moms.

Hey dan, your mama so ...... u fill it in. Or Michelle Obama is a S....... u fill it in.

And on another thing its okay for Libs to attack the children of politicians, but if someone no matter what party affiliation says anything about how Chelsea Clinton looks like a dog tey are called mean spirited.

she's no slut.....sluts have enough sense to use protection.....ya know, so they can bang more often.

bristol is just.....well.....not so smart.

the important thing here is the effectiveness of abstinance....the proof is in the pudding.

.... Letterman is a comic...... comics on a regular basis make jokes that are out of normal social bounds......... letterman was obviously poking at Bristol not a 14 year old that Palin and "TODD" tried to frame this in.

Yes Letterman ran rough shod over a 18 year kid and basically stated that Palin has a slutty sex appeal. HE IS A COMIC NOT A POLITICAL LEADER OR TEACHER.......

I find it distasteful to talk about someone's child, but in context of who made the joke it is really to be expected.

I would not be happy about someone making a comment on my children so I understand the Palin's position. However like the crack pots they are they attempted a lame try at framing Letterman as making fun of their 14 year old. They knew he did not know it was their 14 year old in New york and was really making a joke toward Bristol.

Actually I find it more absurd/distasteful that they are trying to use this as Political PR move. IF what letterman read was Sarah's response her grammer and use of language is terrible. Not really a shocker when you look at her education track history or her lack of knowledge on pretty much anything.

IF Palin is the "future" of the Republican party...... some of you are doomed.

baloney.

Bristol was not at the game.

It was Palin's 14 year old daughter.

the cya is evident in Letterman's

sarcastic and play on ratings "apology".

He should get hammered for that offensive crap.

Forget partisan politics for a moment.

Children should be off limits to attacks,

regardless of who their parents are.

That goes for Obama's children..

anyone's children.

To twist that around in defense of Letterman's garbage,

is sadly partisan and shows a significant lack of principle.

The mistake was the writers not knowing that Willow was at the game with Palin and Giuliani, and no one catching it before it went to air.

The joke works fine if Palin is there by herself, or if she was there with Bristol. It doesn't work if she was there with Willow, because then it implies that we're talking about her getting knocked up. And it's clear to me that they didn't know she was there when they did the joke. The coverage was that she was there with Giuliani. I saw those stories and didn't know Willow was there either.

So they screwed up.

But Letterman wasn't making a joke about Willow getting knocked up. He was making a joke about Bristol.

The mistake was the writers not knowing that Willow was at the game with Palin and Giuliani, and no one catching it before it went to air.

The joke works fine if Palin is there by herself, or if she was there with Bristol. It doesn't work if she was there with Willow, because then it implies that we're talking about her getting knocked up. And it's clear to me that they didn't know she was there when they did the joke. The coverage was that she was there with Giuliani. I saw those stories and didn't know Willow was there either.

So they screwed up.

But Letterman wasn't making a joke about Willow getting knocked up. He was making a joke about Bristol.

What hypocritical and innacurate bullsit.

Congrats Heck.

Damn writers........

WSS

Seems funny that all the Libs on the board know everything about Palins kids, whats the deal are all of you guys waiting until they turm 18 to start tearing them apart.

Letterman is excluded he has allready crossed the line.

I suppose Libs think conservatives keep a profile on all the Liberal politicians kids, so they think its okay, well sorry guys we dont, a matter of fact I dont pay much attention to news on politicians children just for the fact they are children, and children will misbehave at times and act like liberals. :lol:

I can't stand the guy - never could - so I can't answer objectively.

So.............let's open it up for conversation.

I have never liked him either....but to answer the question, everyone in here with a child needs to answer this....if someone was making jokes about your kid, would it be over the line??

No BS here.....you're damn right it would.

You can poke at me all you want, but you start targeting my kids and I seek ways to poke your eyeballs out....and I think most of you feel the same way.

I haven't read all the replies yet, and won't comment on any before this post.....but be real here...you don't attack people through their kids.

Poor form. I don't care who you are.

Time for EVERYBODY to agree on something.

I agree it is ugly....but it isn't phony.

I felt and said the same thing when people started talking about Amy Carter and Chelsy Clinton when people started talking about them being less than attractive.

Your rationalizations are absurd, Heck. I'm surprised you are pretending you don't know better.

And, you are being dishonest.

Are the Obama's children being used as political "props" when they are shown in pics in magazines, too?

Oh, but you'll say they aren't adults.

Well, Amy Carter and Chelsy Clinton are adults, though Amy was a younger kid when they were in the

White House.

When Carter speaks his mind on issues, do you see us ridiculing Amy Carter for events in her life?

The Clintons are in the news a lot... do you see us ridiculing Chelsy Clinton ? EVER?

Chelsey campaigned, was an adult, say, she must have been a "political prop" too, eh?

It's just unfortunate you think it's fine to try to justify the attacks and slurs ("jokes") of the Palin and

Bush kids, out of political expediency.

When the primary public figures are fair game, you hurt the kids when you use them as vulnerable attack points

to get at those figures you don't like.

All your rationalizations to the contrary don't work. Leave all the kids alone. They are not running for office.

Which is why Letterman came out and said it was a Bristol joke, and that he'd never do a joke about a 14-year-old getting knocked up. No one would do that joke. And Letterman's been on TV a long time, and has never done a joke like that before.

Sarah Palin is certainly in the right to point out that she was at the game with their 14-year-old daughter, not Bristol, and that the joke implies that A-Rod knocked her up, and Letterman was certainly right to apologize for the confusion, and for poor taste.

He was also right not to apologize for doing a statutory rape joke about a 14-year-old, because he didn't do a statutory rape joke about a 14-year-old.

Sure he did Heck, no matter how much you want to spin it.

And that "apology" was one of the most insincere ones I've heard even from the lefties.

People who insist that he did either A) don't understand how this happened, or B) are using this for political purposes.

Or C) spinning it to take the heat of the left wing assholes.

WSS

Cal, you are really starting to sound like that "chick" who wanted all of us to just leave Britney alone... mz the pussy

You're right, mz the pussy, Heck is digging his hole deeper and deeper. He's saying "help, I'm diggin myself into a hole and I can't

get out"

Chelsea Clinton staggered out of a nightclub. She was drunk as a skunk.

She was so drunk, she stumbled and fell in London.

It was in the media in London. Sorry, ya probably never heard that on NBC... ya missed it...

So, I guess we can gloat over Chelsea's nightclub binge drinking every time Hillary or Bill

are in the news? Or, better yet, in a whole bunch of threads?

Steve, let me let you in on something. After college I worked for just under a decade writing for late-night comedy shows. I know people who are at Letterman. I, and people I know, have talked to them this week. I'm fully aware of how this happened. Your opinion of this is less informed than mine. You simply don't know what you're talking about, okay? You're accusing someone who does know of "spinning". You don't even know how clueless you are. It's kind of comical.

Comedy writers tend to not write jokes about raping 14-year-olds because they're not funny. Performers don't do jokes about raping 14-year-olds because they're not funny. First and foremost, the point of the late-night shows is to get a laugh. Writers want to get their material on and get a big laugh. Performers want to chose the material that they think will get the biggest laugh.

And Letterman's joke got a laugh, not because people thought it was about the statutory rape of a 14-year-old, but because it was referencing the daughter who was famously knocked up by her high school boyfriend.

That's why people in the audience laughed. And Letterman's audience is made up in large part of tourists from around the country. It's not a very edgy group. And they laughed. Because they knew who he was talking about.

Let me break it down for you further:

When you write for a show that does a monologue every weeknight your primary job is to supply those jokes. Much of the rest of these show is about the guest interviews and what book/movie/whatever they're selling. That's handled mostly by producers, though some writing is involved there as well.

You get to your desk early and you write out a page of joke premises taken from the day's news. In this case, the premise would have been that Sarah Palin and Rudy Giuliani went to the Yankees game together, because that was a headline that day. And in this case, you're writing the joke in the morning before the game actually happens.

From there your job is to tag as many punchlines on that premise as you can, and then move on to the other news of the day. With Sarah Palin, a comedy gold mine, there would be a lot of potential comedic avenues to explore. One of them would be the most recent Palin news, that her daughter Bristol is now an abstinence spokesperson.

One of the other avenues, since Palin is at a Yankees game, would be the premise that Alex Rodriquez was recently busted for steroids, was caught cheating on his wife, and just went through a very public divorce, Madonna, etc. In other words, there's a reason you use A-Rod and not Jorge Posada.

Merge the two, and you get a joke about A-Rod knocking up Sarah Palin's daughter. The "one awkward moment..." bridge that Letterman used is one of the more common ones in comedy writing. And there's your joke:

"Sarah Palin went to the Yankees game with Rudy Giuliani. One awkward moment - during the 7th inning stretch, her daughter was knocked up by Alex Rodriguez."

The guy who wrote this joke didn't know that Willow was at the game with her mom and Giuliani. Because if he did, the joke wouldn't work. Nobody else caught it either. Also, the show tapes between 2:00 and 3:00 in the afternoon. The Yankees game started at 1:00. The monologue is done by noon. Here's the Daily News story written after the game. See any mention of Willow being there?

And this joke was written Monday morning, before the game.

Now, I could explain to you how Letterman's daily routine works as well, but let's just say that he doesn't take much time going through the validity of the premises, or meeting with his writers. Getting the jokes right is the job of the writer. And if they miss something, it's the job of the lawyers at CBS and the producers at the Late Show to catch it. No one did.

Trust me, I had more than a few occasions where a network lawyer was in my office wanting to know where I saw a particular story, or "What source are you basing this punchline on?"

In this case, the joke wasn't pulled because it was a joke about Bristol and no one thought twice about it because from a comedy standpoint there's no reason to - she's an adult and a public figure and her situation is comedy-friendly.

Now, you can believe that this isn't what happened, and that you know more about this situation than I do, and that you've talked to people dealing with this situation and they've told you something else, but I'm guessing you'd be full of shit.

This is what happened. And just because you're learning about it from me doesn't mean it didn't. I know that's your impulse, but try and take the correction: this was a joke about Bristol, so no one pulled it. Turns out it the actual situation muddied the premise of this joke, and now it's outrage time.

And if you want to know something else: if you're one of Dave's writers and you give Dave a joke that he thinks is disgusting, like about raping a 14-year-old, he'll fire you.

Let me amend that: he'll get a producer to fire you.

To know better to do what exactly?

To be famous and get totally blitzed and expect the media not to notice..

oh wait, she's a kid of Democrats, so mega excuses fly fast and indiginantly.

Let's see. She was of legal age, and got drunk. Don't tell me your a prohibitionist.

You said she never did anything wrong to be joked about. You lose.

And I was right to say she never did anything wrong, because she didn't.

Because she's a Dem. Public drunkenness is actually against the law. You lose again.

Man, your ego won't allow you to admit your wrong ever will it?

Look in a mirror. Get drunk in public, you can easily go to jail.

Legal age is 21 years old. She was 22.

Public drunkeness is illegal at any age. And it wasn't in this country. You lose mega-twice.

Tell me what law she broke Cal. Go ahead, explain in detail what she did wrong exactly.

I can't wait to hear this farce...

ROF,L

I fell down drunk alot at 22 whats your point cause I had a blast and there is nothing wrong with it,over 21 she didnt leave the bar fall down drunk and go get pregnant did she?

I agree....lot's of people get drunk.....been that way for a long time......just like lot's of people screw.....been that way a long time.

By the way, Cal, when Chelsea Clinton was 13 Rush Limbaugh called her the White House dog.

The joke wasn't about anything she'd done. It was just about how she looked. He said, "Everyone knows the Clintons have a cat. Socks is the White House cat. But did you know there is a White House dog?" And then he held up a picture of Chelsea.

So there you go. There's a joke about a 13-year-old daughter of a president.

John McCain also famously told a joke that went like this: "Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly? Because Janet Reno is her father." But hey, at least Chelsea was 18 at that point. (And it's kind of funny.)

The problem is that it's not about anything she'd done. It's just an old guy calling someone's daughter ugly. It's a cheap laugh, and a tad cruel.

He later apologized to President Clinton.

Heck, I don't remember those things, honestly, but they were grotesquely? sp? uncalled for, and wrong.

But it wasn't me. I am not excusing anybody who does what I think is totally uncalled for. I'm not a big fan of

Mccain, and if Limbaugh really said that, that's as sickening, regardless of provocation, as Letterman's joke about

Palin's 14 yr old daughter. And, Heck, I don't think you are stupid, and the comedy writers had to know

to verify who they were writing the joke about. I figure, the joke was, "all we have to do is say it was

about Bristol, but we can really get Palin mad about her other daughter being at the game. We can just

say it was a mistake lol"

And, only as an example,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_intoxication

England and Wales

In England and Wales, it is illegal to be manifestly drunk:

In a public bar or club

Whilst in charge of a child under 7 years old

In charge of any car, bicycle or any other vehicle[1]

Furthermore, the police have the power (although not the obligation) to confiscate any alcohol which is being consumed in public, and local authorities have the power to prohibit alcohol consumption in certain areas. [1]

Typically the police will, depending on the circumstances, help the intoxicated person on their way or place the person in jail until sober. Once fit to be dealt with the detained person will either be issued with a Penalty Notice for Disorder (PND - £80 fine in ticket form) or bailed to appear at the local court. The court in turn may issue a fine or a custodial sentence for more prolific offenders. Punishment may also be more severe if other illegal acts, such as assault or drunk driving, also occur (although these would constitute separate offences).

This offence is sometimes known, in England and Wales, as 'drunk and incapable in a public place' or 'drunk and disorderly'.

********************************************************************************

Yes, it is illegal to be drunk in the bar/nightclub, and Chelsea and her friend left the bar/nightclub, and she couldn't walk,

and fell to the ground. And it was illegal. They were in London. They attended Oxford University.

But the point is, did anybody here ever use that against Bill and Hillary? I don't think so. Bill and Hillary are both in the news.

And Chelsea's an adult. And she was politically active in the public limelight.

The kids of ALL politicians are never fair game for humiliation to use as a weapon against their parents for political purposes.

Never. ever.

Archived