THE BROWNS BOARD

mandatory bible study as terms of employment?

Clevfan4life

how?

"second chance" employer for ex convicts of which Dahl (the company owner) himself an ex con provides "jobs"

Dahl probably made his  jobs conditional due to the employees backgrounds being rather shaky to begin with -  maybe even court ordered?

explained another way - aftercare (like AA)

simply put? dont like sunday school?  DONT WORK THERE THEN!   +  face the probation officer 

I think, that the joining into employment at the company is a social contract, regarding the agreement to attend

the Bible study classes.

You break the social contract, you lose your job. It isn't like the owner of the small company added the requirement later.

The lawsuit loses, IMHO. Just another attempt at winning the liberal culture lottery by any hook or crook necessary.

so yoose guuyyzz would be perfectly okay with an american employer hiring people than after that fact saying oh btw now that ur hired if u wanna keep this job its off to the local mosque  once a week? would "yoose guyyzz" be ok with mandatory allah prayers blared over a loudspeaker ever 2 hours?

28 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

so yoose guuyyzz would be perfectly okay with an american employer hiring people than after that fact saying oh btw now that ur hired if u wanna keep this job its off to the local mosque  once a week? would "yoose guyyzz" be ok with mandatory allah prayers blared over a loudspeaker ever 2 hours?

Actually, and I'm serious about this, I would think a devout Muslim might be a fine employee. I think most people who take their religion seriously have probably got one or two building blocks of morality in there. We're not talking about some psychotic terrorist but your basic religious Muslim to Christian Sikh you name it.....

I have no beef with Islam oh, just the lunatics.

WSS

24 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

uh huh, if some EMPLOYER mandated koran studies some of u would srsly no joke lose ur sht. Cal would conceivably become an active shooter

I agree with you on this that nobody should be forced to participate in a bible study to keep their job against their will. There is nothing like this in the New Covenant where anyone is forced to do anything. It is all free will. People listened to the good news being preached and taught of their own free will and voluntarily and were not forced to listen.  I don't know what the law says about it and Cal may be right in a legal sense. My problem with this story is they never contacted the employer to get his side. It could be more of a disgruntled employee who was let go for other reasons.

2 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I agree with you on this that nobody should be forced to participate in a bible study to keep their job against their will. There is nothing like this in the New Covenant where anyone is forced to do anything. It is all free will. People who heard the good news freely and voluntarily and were not forced to listen.  I don't know what the law says about it and Cal may be right in a legal sense. My problem with this story is they never contacted the employer to get his side. It could be more of a disgruntled employee who was let go for other reasons.

well the article says "allegedly", so these are the "allegations" against the employer which the employer will have to refute in court. If the allegations are true, its a civil rights violation. No different than if a man was forced to give up being a christian in order to remain employed

11 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

well the article says "allegedly", so these are the "allegations" against the employer which the employer will have to refute in court. If the allegations are true, its a civil rights violation. No different than if a man was forced to give up being a christian in order to remain employed

And anyone can allege anything so when reporting stories like this both sides need to be presented. The reporter should have reached out for comment from the employer to answer the allegations otherwise you just have a one sided story which is what this is. It may be a civil rights issue or not. If the guy took the job knowing he was mandated to attend a bible class then Cal may be right. He was not forced to take the job.

13 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

actually, mandating a religion for terms of employment may infact violate some laws. But the allegation is that it was revealed to him after he was employed. One article i read said the company would not comment because of the pending court case

Oh I'm sure it's in violation of somebody's vision of church and state blah blah blah. And I will freely admit that I'm something of a hypocrite and the the double standard doesn't offend me all that much. It's still my belief that people who are part of mainstream religions are okay on the whole.

WSS

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

actually, mandating a religion for terms of employment may infact violate some laws. But the allegation is that it was revealed to him after he was employed. One article i read said the company would not comment because of the pending court case

That would depend if the company was private.

You know, like Twitter, or Facebook.

possibly only a non profit, like a religious organization for ex, can have such requirements. Because its essentially the primary reason for employment. U cant argue that a remodeling company is a religious entity when its primary revenue stream has nothing to do with religion.

and if the employer was not open and upfront about such requirements from before the hiring process, than theres absolutely no ground to stand on and he will cough 800k. If he was upfront from the beginning he may not owe that employee any money but he may face fines from uncle sam. 

he essentially violated that employees civil rights if after the fact of employment he foisted a religion on his employees. Its a form of fraud if it happened after the employment. Its likely a violation of fair employment acts if he made it clear beforehand. The outrage would be palpable if an employer told his employees if he sees any of their liscence plates at the local church's on sunday tjat either they wont be hired or current employees will be fired. And i would fully support legal and civil action against him. 

we visited sometjing like this a few years ago where an employer tried to limit political and religious displays only within the workplace, not dealing with free time.....and i beleive most here supported the employees rights in that case. That runs in rev too

the grey area for me is if an employer is upfront about these religious require.ents "prior" to employment. If it costs them employees than its on them let the market punish them. BUT OF COURSE that standard would HAVE to be valid in reverse if an employer says i tolerate none of my employees be joos, muslims, christians, shintoists, zoroastroists etx,etc,etc. 

i think some time ago our govt, for the sake of a fluid economy, decided to regulate that things like religion and political affiliation were private matters that both employee and employer should not have determine any kind of employment status or conflict.

21 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

just a side note here, but in all ho esty there is vastly more circumstantial evidence for #peepeegate than there is for the god of abraham ever existing.Just FYI

You use the words “vastly” and “circumstantial” in the same sentence to describe evidence.

Which boils down to a large amount of nuthin’.

15 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

You use the words “vastly” and “circumstantial” in the same sentence to describe evidence.

Which boils down to a large amount of nuthin’.

would you have preferred "preponderance"? end result is the same, smoke=fire. In one circumstance there's not even smoke to be seen. Clarified?

On 9/2/2018 at 3:15 PM, Canton Dawg said:

That would depend if the company was private.

You know, like Twitter, or Facebook.

Partially true.

There is something called the Ministerial exception in the Title VII anti-discrimination laws that allows religious institutions such as churches to selectively discriminate potential employees based on things like gender, sexual orientation and religious beliefs. However, I believe that exemption is for declared religious institutions; by all accounts, the employer in this particular case is a construction company and isn't an organized religious institution.

On 9/2/2018 at 1:44 PM, Westside Steve said:

Oh I'm sure it's in violation of somebody's vision of church and state blah blah blah. And I will freely admit that I'm something of a hypocrite and the the double standard doesn't offend me all that much. It's still my belief that people who are part of mainstream religions are okay on the whole.

WSS

I'm positive that there are plenty of decent, good people out there who believe in ghosts and alien abductions as well; that doesn't mean I should be forced to wear tinfoil hats and go puttering around in abandoned buildings and cemeteries with night vision cameras and EMF meters with them either. 😀

Archived