THE BROWNS BOARD

Can Steven Tyler STOP Trump from playing his music?

Ghoolie

Actually, no. Not just no, but ABSOLUTELY NO. People have all kinds of misinformation about copyright law, so let me tell you how it works.

in order for a songwriter to collect royalties, he/she signs away performance license with a publisher who licenses the music with a Performance Rights Organization or PRO. The Four US PRO's are ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, and the Juke Box Licensing Organization (JLO) 

In order to collect royalties when music is played in public venues (TV radio, chucrh, funeral homes, malls, festivals, political events, etc) the PRO's, legally. charge a yearly license fee to any business that allows the public performance of music. The next time you go to your favorite bar take a look at the glass doors or windows when you go in. If they play music in any fashion you will see a sticker for these organizations. An artist can choose only 1 to represent them. As such the entire music catalog is divided among the PROS. Roughly 49% BMA, 49% ASCAP and 2% SESAC.

Facilities feel raped, but they have to pay each PRO for the yearly license. If a place only has a jukebox and no TVs, they can get away with just paying the JLO fee. Otherwise, they have to pay all of them.

So, it is the FACILITY and NOT the individual who pays for a music license. This is why bands are free to play whatever songs they want to play. The bar, concert hall, etc...pays a license fee. In return ALL MUSIC Covered by ASCAP, BMI and SESAC can be played publicly. It doesn't matter if it is a band, a DJ, or a politician playing/broadcasting the music, if the facility in question paid their music licenses, they cannot be prevented, not by the artist, not by the publisher, or the composer from playing any music they choose to play. 

In fact, if Steven Tyler physically stopped Trump from playing his music from a licensed facility, it would be Tyler who would be in violation of copyright law. Jerkoff musicians are dumber than doornails.

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

if stevrn tyler doesnt want trump playing his music, this is an easy one. Insult the man relentlessly and publically. And not justbtrump but his followers too. Retweet meme's of maga people blowing each other, etc, etc......

That would be the way I would handle it. LMAO. Steven Tyler is a jackoff. WHy would anyone want to do something that reduced their royalties? THe guys is a moron.

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

his daughter is the only think I ever even mildly gave a sht about him for. 

Have nindisagreement there. I Like the guy's music, but as a rule rock musicians are not an intellectual bunch. I have had a modicum of success in themusic industry and rubbed some ompressive elbows.......on the perhiphery mind you.....but these entertainer types just need to stfu.

as a listener of Limbaughs radio show - I thought this was interesting, happened about 7 years ago...

He was told by the band Rush - to stop playing its music for the bumpers out of commercial breaks.

Apparently the band wrote a cease and desist letter and the Limbaugh show adhered to it. 

different case?  

2 minutes ago, FairHooker11 said:

as a listener of Limbaughs radio show - I thought this was interesting, happened about 7 years ago...

He was told by the band Rush - to stop playing its music for the bumpers out of commercial breaks.

Apparently the band wrote a cease and desist letter and the Limbaugh show adhered to it. 

different case?  

Could be that Limbaugh relented because he didn’t want the headache. 

9 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Have nindisagreement there. I Like the guy's music, but as a rule rock musicians are not an intellectual bunch. I have had a modicum of success in themusic industry and rubbed some ompressive elbows.......on the perhiphery mind you.....but these entertainer types just need to stfu.

I think you are right about the intellect of some of these rock stars. Spinal Tap comes to mind. I haven't met any rock stars personally but some of the ones who I thought highly of and are exceptional musicians and song writers when I heard them on talk shows and they got off the subject of music and delved into politics all I can say is they didn't impress me and they should stick to music.

8 hours ago, FairHooker11 said:

different case?  

No. Limbaugh did not have to cease and desist. His network pays the license. By law that gives his network the right to play all.the catalog. Rush has no writes in determining who can play their music. If the writer still owned all the writes and did mot license it for public consumption, then yes, they could have stopped.

I worked in music licensing at BMI for a while, as a break from the water industry. I am dead sure of these matters. Rush's attorneys either didn't understand copyright law, or didn't want to make a stink about it.

Again, when a writer agrees to publish, his PRO sells the icense fee with the strict, indefatigable understanding that the licensee has access to 100% of the catalog.

And logic tells you it has to be this way. How could one be forced by law to pay a license fee to play a catalog, but then also have the risk that all.the artists could come back and say...yes you have paid, but you can't use this music.

Rush had no legal.grounds. Had EIB sued the PRO the PRO would have sued Rush for a breech of contract.

Copyrigh holders.cannot have it both ways. Pay the license and all the songs are yours to play. Otherwise who would ever pay the license fee? 

3 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I think you are right about the intellect of some of these rock stars. Spinal Tap comes to mind. I haven't met any rock stars personally but some of the ones who I thought highly of and are exceptional musicians and song writers when I heard them on talk shows and they got off the subject of music and delved into politics all I can say is they didn't impress me and they should stick to music.

Again, I don't mean this in arrogance. My liife has at.times been a bizarre, diametrically different concoction of vocation. As a boy I played in a lot of bands, here, and abroad abroad. When I learned my Dad was in the last year.or two of his life I quit travelling in my water job and built a commercial recording studio.

In all.that time I got.to play and record both nobodies and somebodies. No, I am not boasting being on the "in" with all the Rock Stars, but I am humbled at that part of my life.

Famous or not, in general musicians are more often than not people who don't like "the system" , "capitalism" (even though they don't realize that's what makes their careers possible), and the dealings of hard, industrious work. 

In general, "they don't want to work, they just want to bang on their drums all day". A musician's view of the world is usually weird.

Archived