THE BROWNS BOARD

We are going to eat Darnold's lunch Thursday

BobPOUND!

7 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Oh, and there are two more reasons that we're in trouble.  We're playing against Terrell Pryor and Crowell.  I wasn't sad to see Crow leave us, but to this DAY I don't understand the Terrell Pryor debacle.  He wanted to stay here, and we wanted him to stay here....yet he's not here.  I really don't get it.  We cultivated him, taught him, and saw the potential...and now someone ELSE gets to use his services?  Uh...

The story line is just too perfect.  "Sam Darnold shows Browns why they shouldn't have passed on him, and Crow and Pryor shine as Browns futility is stronger than ever."

It just makes way too much sense.  You remember when Carson Wentz was a rookie?  You also remember we played them the first game?  What happened in that game?  That's right, Wentz beat us as a rookie, like every rookie does.  The immediate story afterwards was, "Did the Browns screw up by not drafting Wentz?!"   

Uhhhhh....ya think?

Wow are you a miserable, negative person.   Why even bother watching since in your mind it's always going to end badly?   I don't get it. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Wow are you a miserable, negative person.   Why even bother watching since in your mind it's always going to end badly?   I don't get it. 

Before the season, I was the most optimistic person there was.  Now, I realize nothing has changed.  It's not a matter of BEING negative.  It's a matter of expecting results based on historical context.  Let me ask you a question.  If the same result basically happens 34 times in a row, who is the miserable person?  The person who expects the same thing, or the person who expects it to change?

44 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Before the season, I was the most optimistic person there was.  Now, I realize nothing has changed.  It's not a matter of BEING negative.  It's a matter of expecting results based on historical context.  Let me ask you a question.  If the same result basically happens 34 times in a row, who is the miserable person?  The person who expects the same thing, or the person who expects it to change?

This team is better than last years team. I’m not sure yet how much better, but they’re definitely better. And to answer your question... the person that expects the same thing... without hope of something different 

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Oh, and there are two more reasons that we're in trouble.  We're playing against Terrell Pryor and Crowell.  I wasn't sad to see Crow leave us, but to this DAY I don't understand the Terrell Pryor debacle.  He wanted to stay here, and we wanted him to stay here....yet he's not here.  I really don't get it.  We cultivated him, taught him, and saw the potential...and now someone ELSE gets to use his services?  Uh...

The story line is just too perfect.  "Sam Darnold shows Browns why they shouldn't have passed on him, and Crow and Pryor shine as Browns futility is stronger than ever."

It just makes way too much sense.  You remember when Carson Wentz was a rookie?  You also remember we played them the first game?  What happened in that game?  That's right, Wentz beat us as a rookie, like every rookie does.  The immediate story afterwards was, "Did the Browns screw up by not drafting Wentz?!"   

Uhhhhh....ya think?

You have Browns PTSD.  I get it. Most of us do.

But I'll take Landry and Hyde over Pryor and Crow.

I see this thread and all I can think is that it should be "dinner" instead of "lunch" since it is a night game.

Z

28 minutes ago, Zombo said:

You have Browns PTSD.  I get it. Most of us do.

But I'll take Landry and Hyde over Pryor and Crow.

I see this thread and all I can think is that it should be "dinner" instead of "lunch" since it is a night game.

Z

You know what’s really strange?  If right before the season started, you told me we’d be 0-1-1 through two games, I’d probably would’ve been decently happy, right?  I mean, we’re playing two playoff teams, with two hall of fame QB’s, there really wouldn’t be any SHAME in losing those two games.  Heck, we’re SUPPOSED to lose to the playoff teams after coming off an 0-16 season! 

But then the worst thing in the world happened.  We didn’t just lose a game, or tie a game, we did the unthinkable.  We pulled out the “Same Old Browns” road map, and we literally snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.  We had 6 forced turnovers in week 1, after forcing only 13 all of last year.  We had a FG opportunity to win in the closing seconds, only to have it lengthened by maybe the worst block in the back penalty I’ve ever seen by one of our smartest players.  It was surreal.  Right when Schobert is stepping out of bounds, Garrett shoves the guy as hard as he can.  Did that make us lose?  Probably not.  But a 32 yard FG is a lot easier than a 42 yarder, especially in awful conditions. 

Then, on the road, against a probably division winner…we almost refused to win.  Missed kicks, extra points, 3rd and long penalties, whatever.  It was awful.  Worse than awful.  And it was everything we were expecting.  THAT’S the problem.  It’s the mindset…the “expecting to lose”, and I’m worried it’s going to seep all of the way into our heads, and cause us to crumble at the end.  We HAD to find a way to win one of those two games, mainly because we had the Jets on Thursday night, and then a nice, long break before playing a TERRIBLE Raiders team.  That’s 10 days of rest, and we’d be 2-1 if we beat the Jets at home.  Then playing a terrible Raiders team?  Heck, that could be 3-1 before you can BLINK. 

If I had to summon any optimism, and this is asking a lot, I’d say the Jets are an average team, much like us.  I think they CAN be beaten, but we have to do EVERYTHING to avoid it being down to the last 2 minutes.  We need to secure a victory way before that, because let me tell you, our confidence is shot.  It HAS to be.  We did everything possible to win those games and we still didn’t do it.  We need to beat the Jets, and do it in the first 3 quarters.  We need to score a touchdown on our first drive (stop laughing), and then stomp on their throats after half time.  We REALLY need to go into this “mini bye week” riding the high of a win, because if we do that, I can really us beating the Raiders and having a winning (*gasp*) record after 4 games.  Even if it’s only 2-1-1.

The Jets game is basically the season.  I hate to say it, but it’s true.  Also, if we lose the Jets game AND Tyrod is ineffectual AGAIN, you’re going to see Baker Mayfield come in against Oakland, and there’s no stopping it.  Perhaps it’s a good thing, but I would REALLY like to see Tyrod play most of this year and not hurry Baker along. 

And don't look at the injury report.  Landry might not play.  Randall.  Kirksey, Ogbah.  

UGH

If you're not excited about, at least, our defense then you need to reconsider your expectations.

The yardage stats aren't great #21 in tot yds, #22 pass D, #20 run D.  However, we are #12 in PPG, #1 in TOs and #1 in TO differential.

Add the context, Saints and Steelers in 2017 were #4 and #8 respectively in PPG and #2 and #3 in total yards, and #9 and #11 in fewest giveaways.

If this D can keep up their performance thus far, and we can get our offense going AT ALL... we are going to be a tough team to beat.

I like our chances tomorrow, but I have a rule against picking the Browns to win, so I will just sit back and hopefully enjoy a good game.

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

You know what’s really strange?  If right before the season started, you told me we’d be 0-1-1 through two games, I’d probably would’ve been decently happy, right?  I mean, we’re playing two playoff teams, with two hall of fame QB’s, there really wouldn’t be any SHAME in losing those two games.  Heck, we’re SUPPOSED to lose to the playoff teams after coming off an 0-16 season! 

But then the worst thing in the world happened.  We didn’t just lose a game, or tie a game, we did the unthinkable.  We pulled out the “Same Old Browns” road map, and we literally snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.  We had 6 forced turnovers in week 1, after forcing only 13 all of last year.  We had a FG opportunity to win in the closing seconds, only to have it lengthened by maybe the worst block in the back penalty I’ve ever seen by one of our smartest players.  It was surreal.  Right when Schobert is stepping out of bounds, Garrett shoves the guy as hard as he can.  Did that make us lose?  Probably not.  But a 32 yard FG is a lot easier than a 42 yarder, especially in awful conditions. 

Then, on the road, against a probably division winner…we almost refused to win.  Missed kicks, extra points, 3rd and long penalties, whatever.  It was awful.  Worse than awful.  And it was everything we were expecting.  THAT’S the problem.  It’s the mindset…the “expecting to lose”, and I’m worried it’s going to seep all of the way into our heads, and cause us to crumble at the end.  We HAD to find a way to win one of those two games, mainly because we had the Jets on Thursday night, and then a nice, long break before playing a TERRIBLE Raiders team.  That’s 10 days of rest, and we’d be 2-1 if we beat the Jets at home.  Then playing a terrible Raiders team?  Heck, that could be 3-1 before you can BLINK. 

If I had to summon any optimism, and this is asking a lot, I’d say the Jets are an average team, much like us.  I think they CAN be beaten, but we have to do EVERYTHING to avoid it being down to the last 2 minutes.  We need to secure a victory way before that, because let me tell you, our confidence is shot.  It HAS to be.  We did everything possible to win those games and we still didn’t do it.  We need to beat the Jets, and do it in the first 3 quarters.  We need to score a touchdown on our first drive (stop laughing), and then stomp on their throats after half time.  We REALLY need to go into this “mini bye week” riding the high of a win, because if we do that, I can really us beating the Raiders and having a winning (*gasp*) record after 4 games.  Even if it’s only 2-1-1.

The Jets game is basically the season.  I hate to say it, but it’s true.  Also, if we lose the Jets game AND Tyrod is ineffectual AGAIN, you’re going to see Baker Mayfield come in against Oakland, and there’s no stopping it.  Perhaps it’s a good thing, but I would REALLY like to see Tyrod play most of this year and not hurry Baker along. 

And don't look at the injury report.  Landry might not play.  Randall.  Kirksey, Ogbah.  

UGH

Landry will play.

You heard his speach, right?

Z

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Uhhhhh....ya think?

Actually, it makes more sense that"  2-3 players that were chucked off a team that went 0-16 show why they were not good enough to be on that team now that it is better.

39 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Landry will play.

You heard his speach, right?

Z

I'd be VERY surprised if he didn't play.  My only concern is that it's Thursday night, and just no time to heal.  Perhaps the bigger concern is Randall.  

It's amazing what happens when tape gets out on some rookies doesn't it? 86 QBR week one, 13.8 QBR week two. I'm confident the Browns defense can keep the young man in check. What worries me much more is EXACTLY what happened on Sunday according Thursday. Small (but comfortable) lead getting wasted away.

Since Landry has been in the league, (4 years at Mia.) he has played the Jets 8 times.3 of those 4 years without Cutler, Jarvis was targeted 9-16 times..Catching 8-13 footballs/game..am not seeing #80bless'em missing this one

We have no offense. The Jets have the #1 Defense. Good thing we have a new kicker... that's never played a snap in the NFL. Should be exhilarating- it's like watching a train wreck a different way every week. Sometimes the conductor even offs himself as he detonates the cabin. I love this team.

58 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

We have no offense. The Jets have the #1 Defense. Good thing we have a new kicker... that's never played a snap in the NFL. Should be exhilarating- it's like watching a train wreck a different way every week. Sometimes the conductor even offs himself as he detonates the cabin. I love this team.

The Jets defense is rated 1 solely of the fiasco against Detroit. They came right back to earth against a very average Miami team. Browns D has been dominant in back to back weeks against very good teams. Advantage us

2 hours ago, syd said:

yike's should you even be watching the game's ?

LOL....What do you think brought on the need?  Next you're gonna tell me to put away these barbeque chips.

If we lose this game, the fans and media will erupt.  Everyone will want Hue's and Tyrod's heads.  It will get very ugly.

We have to put pressure on Darnold.  We have to make the rookie make mistakes.  The defense is gonna have to win this one for us.  They will shut down our run...and for a pass receiving game we MIGHT have Landry...and then a bunch of youngin's.  It's all on Williams' gang.

Not sure if this will paste in.. But it is plays like this that is going to KILL Darnold tonight.   

So much going on here in such a short clip.. Watch the entire line pull left.. The Line backers pull right and then back into coverage.. CB's are lined up right and one of the CB's just bum rushes the QB.. One of the most savvy QB's in football is completely confused by this look and holds the ball for an extra second.. TOO LATE his butt is in the turf.... This is 3d chess level Sheet on week 2 with a new defensive look.. We didn't do anything like this last year.

carrie_blitz_sack_2.jpg

20 hours ago, LBC mike said:

Our injury report does not look good for tomorrow.

It's my biggest reason for concern.  The Jets, conversely, are as healthy as a horse.  Naturally.  

I'm going a way different direction for my predicted score.  History will tell us that this game will be ugly, low scoring, and something the Browns will lose in the 4th quarter.  I think it'll be the opposite.  I believe the Jets will hang about 24 points on us offensively, and then they'll tack on another defensive TD or special teams TD.  

Jets - 31

Browns - 17

Archived