THE BROWNS BOARD

Joe Thomas comment

lodilobo

I heard on a local radio show yesterday, that Joe T., when asked about Hue, stated that you can't judge him by the first 2 seasons because the organization was tanking....they were losing purposely. Does anyone buy this? If so...it makes me dislike Hue more for taking the HC job, and agreeing to lose by design.

I think it's just what it looked like to Joe.  And the players.  And the media.  And all of us.  And.....

However, in those first two seasons we saw how lousy a Game-Day coach he was/is.....and how he's NOT a quarterback whisperer.  

Why would Joe Thomas open this can of worms? He's a respected player and obviously a supporter of Jackson. No good can come from making this statement, but I think a player would know if his team is tanking on purpose.

It was an obvious tank job, it shouldn't even be up for debate. How many veteran players were traded away or released that could have helped the Browns win games in the last two years? (And I'm not saying the Browns were right or wrong to go at the rebuild this way, just stating the obvious)

The 1-31 to me isn't the problem with Hue, because this team the last two seasons was not built to win, not at all. You don't go into last season with the QBs on the roster that they did with the idea that you are winning games. You just are not.

That being said, you can still watch how the team plays, how Hue makes in-game decisions, how the team seems prepared and come to the conclusion that Hue has not done a good job, and he was ill-equipped to be a head coach of such a young team. Some coaches aren't good with young players. 

I'm convinced that Belichick wouldn't have had a much better record. The talent level was bad, and/or incredibly young. 

Of course they were tanking the plan was picks and cap space. A rip up and start all over again. 

Haslam knew it, signed it off and then I guess deemed it was time for more of a football guy to use that space and picks 

So far not so good. Tyrod, Landry and Hyde are the skill position signings and all been average so far. Maybe we can blame Hue for that part 

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

That being said, you can still watch how the team plays, how Hue makes in-game decisions, how the team seems prepared and come to the conclusion that Hue has not done a good job

A thumbs up for this part 

Hue has got the more veteran offense he wanted and he still cannot win with them despite the defense giving the team ample chances to do so. He’s out of excuses. 

It's not something a fan wants to hear...even if we suspected it. I'm no fan of Hue Jackson, but what if he deliberately acted to promote losing, knowing that he would not be fired because he was following orders? It's looking to me like Sashi set it up, and Haslam had a change of heart last season when he fired Sashi and hired Dorsey. That's why Hue's job was not in jeopardy.

I don't believe the players would be a part of it either, but they would know what's going on. The HC could control winning and losing by playing certain players. This would make fans, media members, and announcers scratch their heads and wonder....sound familiar?

Of course, this is just wild speculation, even though it seems to fall into place, the more you think about it. An owner would have to be a real scumbag with no morals, no integrity. You know...someone who wouldn't have a problem really screwing the customers who keep him rich. 

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Agreed.  I can't believe that players would intentionally play to lose.  If thats the fact, then Shmuck the BROWNS.

I don't think the players were intentionally trying to lose. But if you watched a Browns game over the last 2 years and then watched a playoff-caliber team, the obvious difference in the level of talent was beyond discouraging. As Mike Polk would say, "It's like they're playing a different sport than we are."

33 minutes ago, lodilobo said:

I don't believe the players would be a part of it either, but they would know what's going on. The HC could control winning and losing by playing certain players. This would make fans, media members, and announcers scratch their heads and wonder....sound familiar?

If the front office is trying to recreate 'Major League', purposely fielding a team so devoid of talent that there's no way in hell they'll win, then what the coach does or doesn't do, over the long-haul, won't much matter.

4 hours ago, lodilobo said:

I heard on a local radio show yesterday, that Joe T., when asked about Hue, stated that you can't judge him by the first 2 seasons because the organization was tanking....they were losing purposely. Does anyone buy this? If so...it makes me dislike Hue more for taking the HC job, and agreeing to lose by design.

I do believe it to a certain extent.   By that, I mean, I don't think they were purposely losing games (though sometimes it seemed like it),   just that Sachi basically had this plan to "suck in order to become good eventually".  The old Suck for Luck deal.  

I mean, such a strategy HAS worked in the past.   The World Series champion Houston Astros is one...as have been others   (Philly 76ers etc.)

8 minutes ago, lodilobo said:

I guess it's not a new concept or a revelation. It just doesn't seem right when a player who was there, states it as fact.

If it was a fact, and I think it was,  why should he lie about it? 

Like I said here, the Browns losing was a combination of a plan to be bad in order to get good,   and just incredible ineptitude by the HC...and these players  to lose game.

When you bring in bad players, they are going to find a way to lose.   When you combine that with an inept HC, there you have 0-16.    When you get better players, they still have to learn to win....which they have not done yet;  and, you still have to deal with the inept coach factor.    He may overcome his ineptitude here and there with better players.   We shall see.

35 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

If it was a fact, and I think it was,  why should he lie about it? 

Like I said here, the Browns losing was a combination of a plan to be bad in order to get good,   and just incredible ineptitude by the HC...and these players  to lose game.

When you bring in bad players, they are going to find a way to lose.   When you combine that with an inept HC, there you have 0-16.    When you get better players, they still have to learn to win....which they have not done yet;  and, you still have to deal with the inept coach factor.    He may overcome his ineptitude here and there with better players.   We shall see.

It wasn't like he would have had to lie. He offered this information, I suppose, to defend Hue. Hey....by the way...I lost quite a few lunches betting with my accountant over the last 2 years. Do we have a case against Sashi?

Haslam and Sashi agreed on a tanking plan. As MKC wrote once, Hue's best roster (until now) was the team on the day he signed, after that good players like Mack, Greco, etc were allowed to leave, cut or traded. They probably should be better than 1-31 in two seasons but not by much.

8 hours ago, lodilobo said:

I don't believe Hue tried to lose any games, no coach does that.

So there's no confusion, I believe the Browns plan was to strip the team to the foundation, acquire tons of picks, which would be high picks due to the lack of any veteran talent and the overwhelming youth of the roster, and rebuild from there.

The Houston Astros or Philadelphia 76ers Plan for the NFL. 

I do not think players or coaches were throwing games. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

So there's no confusion, I believe the Browns plan was to strip the team to the foundation, acquire tons of picks, which would be high picks due to the lack of any veteran talent and the overwhelming youth of the roster, and rebuild from there.

I agree. I also feel it was a "tank job" explained as Dutch has so well above.

Mike

15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Precisely.

13 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

And we have had high picks for years and it hasn't done us any f u c k i n g  good since we always pick lousy.

Ahh!   There's the rub.  Hopefully that has changed the last couple of years.

But, lets face it:    Last year we took  3 players in the first round:   Peppers, McGarrett, and Njoku.    This year we took 2:  Mayfield and Ward.

Odds are that at least one or more of these will end up being a bust.   (I will resist the Browns history that says that 4 out of 5 will be that).

So, which one is most likely to bust?

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Ahh!   There's the rub.  Hopefully that has changed the last couple of years.

But, lets face it:    Last year we took  3 players in the first round:   Peppers, McGarrett, and Njoku.    This year we took 2:  Mayfield and Ward.

Odds are that at least one or more of these will end up being a bust.   (I will resist the Browns history that says that 4 out of 5 will be that).

So, which one is most likely to bust?

Njoku peppers Mayfield ward Garrett. In that order.

Archived