THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns To Name Baker Mayfield Starter Monday

Tour2ma

When Baker came in, it was like someone flipped a light switch on. BOTH his Teammates & the Fans came alive, reaching levels of excitement & performance I haven't seen in many years.

The Baker era is HERE!!!

Mike

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

So what are the odds coach Jackson announces that it's just not right that a player lose his job because of an injury?

Slim and none... and slim just left town...

21 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

During which play was Tyrod get concussed? I didn’t see it unless it was quite a few series earlier in the game. 

Just mused on that in a new thread.

He took two "shots" to the helmet: an early forearm from a Jet DB as he slid and front of helmet "bumped" the ground at end of the sack he took on his last play.

Neither looked to me to be concussive and the forearm looked the worse of the two.

Cumulative maybe?

Or...

Can you imagine if Hue actually came out on Monday and said Tyrod will continue as our starter?  

Even Hue, the quarterback mumbler couldn't do that.

----------------------

Just after the game Josh McCown met Baker on the field and had some words for him.  I'd love to know what Josh said to him.  He's a real pro that Josh!

why was someone earlier in this thread surprised by bakers arm? that wasnt the qyestion about him coming out of college. In fact i read his arm was close to Allens, its just his size that had people worried.

Im hoping haley takes the training wheels off that arm when defenses put 9 guys in the box like the jets did. Let the kid show the NFL he can hit calloway in stride deep

1 hour ago, Clevfan4life said:

why was someone earlier in this thread surprised by bakers arm? that wasnt the qyestion about him coming out of college. In fact i read his arm was close to Allens, its just his size that had people worried.

Im hoping haley takes the training wheels off that arm when defenses put 9 guys in the box like the jets did. Let the kid show the NFL he can hit calloway in stride deep

Hopefully next time he doesn’t let it go through his arms. 

On 9/21/2018 at 10:18 AM, Tour2ma said:

Just mused on that in a new thread.

He took two "shots" to the helmet: an early forearm from a Jet DB as he slid and front of helmet "bumped" the ground at end of the sack he took on his last play.

Neither looked to me to be concussive and the forearm looked the worse of the two.

Cumulative maybe?

Or...

He honestly looked like a guy who knew his fate and accepted it. All the stuff that made TT good went down the tube here in Cleveland (accuracy, low turnovers/sacks, etc). My best guess is having the #1 pick breathing down your neck was pressure the guy wasn't used to and it got to him. I think after that last hit though he realized he might as well slide into the reality.

TT is a strong back-up, and I'm still very glad he's on the roster. I think if needed and without the pressure he could come in and be the Tyrod that led Buffalo. Hopefully TT can appreciate being a back-up because I'd be happy with him as #2 compared to about any other team in the NFL. He's about to be 30 after this year so I strongly doubt someone will bring the guy in for a starting competition. I suppose we shall see though.

On 9/21/2018 at 9:52 AM, jcam222 said:

During which play was Tyrod get concussed?

It was his final play and (was it) the play before?  Two plays.

It was questioned if TyRod took a dive.  -  The guy came to work before the janitors...and stayed late.  He wants to play.  He HAD to know that once Baker entered the game, the possibility existed that he would never come out.  -  And so now, it is written in stone.

There's been chatter of us trading Tyrod to SanFran.  I cannot picture SF looking in Tyrod's direction at all....unless they figure they're gonna pack it in, get a high draft pick, and wait for Jimmy next year.

This is why they're trying SOOoo hard to protect the QB's.  SanFran is pretty much Phucked now.  And look what Baker did for our team.  If that's anything close to Baker's actual level of play then, look what would happen to us if he got hurt.  We'd be the 0-15-1 looking Browns under Tyrod.  

whatever happened to tyrod happened at least 5 mins before he came out. And i know that cause the people sitting behong the brownscbench all saw baker looking at his arm plays after every play tyrod stayed in for so he knew exactly where they were on the progression. U saw the immediate change in his demeanor. I wish there was video of it, u all would be in awe. The broadcast didnt catch on for a couple minutes that baker might be gearing up to come in

21 minutes ago, Orion said:

It was questioned if TyRod took a dive.  -  The guy came to work before the janitors...and stayed late.  He wants to play.  He HAD to know that once Baker entered the game, the possibility existed that he would never come out.  -  And so now, it is written in stone.

There's been chatter of us trading Tyrod to SanFran.  I cannot picture SF looking in Tyrod's direction at all....unless they figure they're gonna pack it in, get a high draft pick, and wait for Jimmy next year.

This is why they're trying SOOoo hard to protect the QB's.  SanFran is pretty much Phucked now.  And look what Baker did for our team.  If that's anything close to Baker's actual level of play then, look what would happen to us if he got hurt.  We'd be the 0-15-1 looking Browns under Tyrod.  

Yes, I wouldn't question his heart or desire for a second. Honestly it would be easier if he were lazy or a douche. He has been ALL about the Browns from the second he got here. 

38 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

He honestly looked like a guy who knew his fate and accepted it. All the stuff that made TT good went down the tube here in Cleveland (accuracy, low turnovers/sacks, etc). My best guess is having the #1 pick breathing down your neck was pressure the guy wasn't used to and it got to him. I think after that last hit though he realized he might as well slide into the reality.

TT is a strong back-up, and I'm still very glad he's on the roster. I think if needed and without the pressure he could come in and be the Tyrod that led Buffalo. Hopefully TT can appreciate being a back-up because I'd be happy with him as #2 compared to about any other team in the NFL. He's about to be 30 after this year so I strongly doubt someone will bring the guy in for a starting competition. I suppose we shall see though.

TT is no dummy. I agree with your take that he saw Baker's abilities & growth & folded under the pressure.

We'll see what happens, but with injuries, Dorsey may well get some calls regarding TT's availability. 

Mike

Baker  &  Tyrod  differences:

Baker will see the covered receiver and decide if and where he could put the ball so that his receiver could adjust to it and make the catch.  -  Tyrod would not try that.

Baker will leave the pocket and keep looking downfield expecting a receiver to dart to an open spot for the pass.  Tyrod will leave the pocket and look for a lane to run in.

---------------------

On Tyrod's long pass attempt to Callaway against the Jets, he underthrew the ball...and he raised his hands a bit to show that he thought Callaway should have made an attempt to go for the ball instead of awaiting it to fall in his breadbasket.  And he was right.  I mean, Baker's gonna underthrow passes now and then, ya think?  Callaway's a rookie, but he still had to know that there was a defender running with him...and he saw that the ball was underthrown....... Like Haley yelled at Coleman in TC, "Ya gotta go fight for that ball".  - Perhaps Callaway learned somethin' there.

6 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Nah, Tyrod was trying- but not doing very well at all. 

6 hours ago, Orion said:

They've taken "protecting the QB" to an absurd level. I still don't think the rules guys have any clue how a defensive player going full bore can avoid a penalty if he so much as touches a QB. Jimmy- and Wentz before him got sidelined on hits that I really thought were minor. 

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Nah, Tyrod was trying- but not doing very well at all. 

They've taken "protecting the QB" to an absurd level. I still don't think the rules guys have any clue how a defensive player going full bore can avoid a penalty if he so much as touches a QB. Jimmy- and Wentz before him got sidelined on hits that I really thought were minor. 

Garrapolo blew out his knee before he was even hit... 

11 hours ago, Orion said:

Baker  &  Tyrod  differences:

Baker will see the covered receiver and decide if and where he could put the ball so that his receiver could adjust to it and make the catch.  -  Tyrod would not try that.

Baker will leave the pocket and keep looking downfield expecting a receiver to dart to an open spot for the pass.  Tyrod will leave the pocket and look for a lane to run in.

---------------------

On Tyrod's long pass attempt to Callaway against the Jets, he underthrew the ball...and he raised his hands a bit to show that he thought Callaway should have made an attempt to go for the ball instead of awaiting it to fall in his breadbasket.  And he was right.  I mean, Baker's gonna underthrow passes now and then, ya think?  Callaway's a rookie, but he still had to know that there was a defender running with him...and he saw that the ball was underthrown....... Like Haley yelled at Coleman in TC, "Ya gotta go fight for that ball".  - Perhaps Callaway learned somethin' there.

Not what I saw , the long ball to Callaway was grossly underthrown he had defender beat by 5 yards at full speed T Rod just doesn’t have the arm to make that play

enough tape for Hue & me? 

guys are open..read pre-snap than grip it & rip it..Ball to Callaway was so badly thrown,ref would not give up a gift flag..(cuz were the browns)

VERY tough not to get totally excited, lol. One thing I hope Baker learns from last week is better ball security. His fumble could've cost us the game, and there was another play where he didn't have the rock secured and I'm sure the coaches will be providing some inspirational advice during film, lol. Go Baker! 

31 minutes ago, 7moses7 said:

Not what I saw , the long ball to Callaway was grossly underthrown

Yup, it was underthrown, I said that.  But Baker will underthrow balls too...because he's human.

Archived