THE BROWNS BOARD

Do you realize we now have 4 potential super stars?

BobPOUND!

I know I am jumping the gun on Baker, but even without him we have 3 bonafide  stars on our team now... 

Garret and Ward on Defense. Absolute game changers who elevate the play of those around them.

And on Offense you have the sure and steady hands of Jarvis Landry. Again a person that seems to elevate those around him.. 

And depending on how he does against the Raiders, At least in 1 game Baker Mayfield elevated an entire team with his play and presence.  The team was going over the edge and we were on our way to another loss.. Baker took the field and with a combination of great play, but more importantly, the fact that people elevated their play merely because he was on the field, was beyond obvious.

There is an IT factor when it comes to having superstars on your team.. We've had good even borderline great players these past 18 or 19 years of the new Browns, but no superstars... We are on the cusp of having 4.. The potential positive affect this can have on our team will be incredible to watch if it comes to fruition...

Only 1 game under our belts, so this is just wishful thinking at this point, but the potential is there.

BobPound!

Absolutely Gipper... We have so many players who can play the secondary parts you find on any team lucky enough to have a few super stars..  What is great about Landry is that he is going to draw an extra defender nearly every time he takes the field now.. So you actually might see his numbers go down, but merely because he has such presence and respect from other players, he will help players like Calloway rise up and make those plays.. So teams will have to decide on which poison they want to die by.

On the other side you have Garret.. People are TRIPLE teaming him at times and he is still making direct impacts on the game.. BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY even if his number decrease, it is only opening the door for Oganjobi and Ogbah to make those plays.. Same goes for Ward. Where he lines up on the field, QB's and offensive coordinators are going to have adjust away from him, opening the door for players like Randall to take advantage.

It is amazing to me how 1 half of a football game can change your perspective. I was ready to leave the bar on Thursday in disgust at half time.. Instead I saw one of the greatest games in our teams history....

Hope we can keep it going.

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

There is also nothing to say that  Calloway could not become an Antonio Brown/AJ Green type player.

Definitely see the AB comparison, but AJ is 6’4 and that definitely plays into his success. 

Give Calloway this year to get used to NFL speed (even though he is almost always the fastest man on the field) and with Baker under center next year, they could definitely be the next BigBen/AB in the AFC North

Landry is a really good football player.....and a really good 'team' guy, EXCEPT after he makes a good catch/play.  THEN, all of a sudden, he becomes an 'I' player....who's susceptible to getting unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.  He's GOTTA learn to keep himself under control.

---

A non-superstar that seems to make a special play each game is Joe Schobert.  

46 minutes ago, Orion said:

Landry is a really good football player.....and a really good 'team' guy, EXCEPT after he makes a good catch/play.  THEN, all of a sudden, he becomes an 'I' player....who's susceptible to getting unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.  He's GOTTA learn to keep himself under control.

---

Joe Schobert is going to be one of those guys that quietly has a very good career. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Joe Schobert is going to be one of those guys that quietly has a very good career. 

He looks a hell of a lot like Gary Fencik (85 Bears) doesnt he?.. Only Fencik was a safety If I remember correctly..

On 9/24/2018 at 8:50 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Jarvis Landry, IMO, is a very good possession WR, but he's not a superstar. 

That said, I'm glad he's on the Browns, for sure. 

We paid him like one though- and worth every cent to date...   

i think carlos has the potential to be one of the top rb's in the league here if Haley commits to the run. The rec's may get less atrempts thrown at them but wgen they do it'll be longer passes with more open space after the catch. 

another guy that has come on my radar is chris smith. Dont be surprised if he keeps that LDE spot even when ogbah gets back

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

We paid him like one though- and worth even cent to date...   

That's why I'm a fan of building your team through the draft, and finding affordable vets in free agency to fill holes. 

Decent guards get crazy money in free agency. 

17 hours ago, The Gipper said:

There is also nothing to say that  Calloway could not become an Antonio Brown/AJ Green type player.

I absolutely love the potential of Callaway. The ONLY hesitation I have is his maturity and off field concerns. I'm desperately hoping he got his wakeup call after the marijuana citation (which sounded bogus anyway. A crumbling, ancient roach? Really cops?). 

His talent can't be denied, and Tyrod already missed him deep at least 3 times. Baker Mayfield might be the best thing to happen to Callaway's career, as Mayfield excels at throwing to people in stride, and Callaway has shown the ability to get a step on defenders during multiple routes. 

My other concern is Callaway's health. These smaller speed guys always seem to have hamstring issues or other soft tissue problems. I hope he learns how to care for his body and basically glues his butt to Jarvis Landry because Landry can show a young player how to practice and how to prepare for the hardships of the NFL. 

While I don't see him being a star per say, Rashard Higgins just saw his bank account have a better future. Higgins excels at running routes and catching the ball. Mayfield already established a good report with Higgins in the preseason and training camp. In fact, some people said that Higgins was by far his favorite receiver. And who doesn't love a story like Higgins? Gets drafted, has to play with terrible qb's, gets missed for 3 easy touchdowns by Kizer, gets cut but comes back, and now has a firm roster spot and solid future with our franchise. How long have we needed the reliable possession guy? We haven't had it since basically Myles Austin several years ago (bonus points for Myles Austin reference). Coincidentally, Baker Mayfield also missed Higgins for an easy touchdown on the only bad throw of his debut. When Baker forced that laser into the end zone that was almost picked, Higgins can be seen flashing across the middle with nobody in front of him. An easy toss for Baker, and the protection was there. Definitely something to learn from, and for ONCE our QB didn't have to learn the hard way. 

Two other people not mentioned by the original poster are Larry Ogunjobi and Genard Avery. Ogunjobi is ALREADY a star, and right now he's the beneficiary of playing with Myles Garrett. I want to say Ogunjobi was leading all DT's in QB pressures, but maybe he's jut top 3. Regardless, he's having a great start to the season. Genard Avery is already flashing his might, and also displayed some savvy coverage skills, not said to be his forte. DE Chris Smith even said on an interview that most of the defensive calls are DESIGNED for Avery to get pressure. Pretty crazy considering he's a middle round rookie pick. 

And yes, I have another. While he understandably had a rough debut against Pittsburgh, Desmond Harrison has a legit chance to lock down the LT for another 11 years. Am I jumping the gun? I don't think so. His raw ability and athleticism are undeniable, and once he gets another year of NFL strength training, he's going to be a legit monster. Browns Daily reported that Harrison was seen with Kevin Zeitler in the weight room, even on off days. That's exactly the guy to hang with because Kevin is VERY strong. We all know that the LT position is a VITAL cog in any team, and you don't normally see rookie unrestricted free agents starting in this role. Harrison is a testament to our scouting department, and my only concern with him is his maturity, but so far he's been nothing but gold. 

There are certainly others to talk about, but I'll let someone else take over. We have some young talent, and I find myself truly excited about the team for the first time in forever. I worry that fans will have unreasonable expectations for young Baker this weekend, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he had a "back to earth" type game against Oakland. That being said, it also wouldn't surprise me if Baker played well again, lol. I think the keys to the game will be our red zone defense (holding to FG's) and our running game (taking pressure off our Baker). It also goes without saying that our special teams still terrify me, too. Another game, another blocked kick. That CAN'T continue to happen. 

17 hours ago, BobPOUND! said:

Absolutely Gipper... We have so many players who can play the secondary parts you find on any team lucky enough to have a few super stars..  What is great about Landry is that he is going to draw an extra defender nearly every time he takes the field now.. So you actually might see his numbers go down, but merely because he has such presence and respect from other players, he will help players like Calloway rise up and make those plays.. So teams will have to decide on which poison they want to die by.

On the other side you have Garret.. People are TRIPLE teaming him at times and he is still making direct impacts on the game.. BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY even if his number decrease, it is only opening the door for Oganjobi and Ogbah to make those plays.. Same goes for Ward. Where he lines up on the field, QB's and offensive coordinators are going to have adjust away from him, opening the door for players like Randall to take advantage.

It is amazing to me how 1 half of a football game can change your perspective. I was ready to leave the bar on Thursday in disgust at half time.. Instead I saw one of the greatest games in our teams history....

Hope we can keep it going.

Garrett is a legit superstar and I love it! Needs to stay healthy because he makes the entire defense go. Also, I'd be ready for some heartbreaking penalties on Garrett, similar to the bogus calls on Clay Matthews. Garrett is so fast and strong, I can just envision the penalties in my head. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. Refs calling too much bull crap, and Garrett is so powerful! 

18 hours ago, BobPOUND! said:

I know I am jumping the gun on Baker, but even without him we have 3 bonafide  stars on our team now... 

Garret and Ward on Defense. Absolute game changers who elevate the play of those around them.

And on Offense you have the sure and steady hands of Jarvis Landry. Again a person that seems to elevate those around him.. 

And depending on how he does against the Raiders, At least in 1 game Baker Mayfield elevated an entire team with his play and presence.  The team was going over the edge and we were on our way to another loss.. Baker took the field and with a combination of great play, but more importantly, the fact that people elevated their play merely because he was on the field, was beyond obvious.

There is an IT factor when it comes to having superstars on your team.. We've had good even borderline great players these past 18 or 19 years of the new Browns, but no superstars... We are on the cusp of having 4.. The potential positive affect this can have on our team will be incredible to watch if it comes to fruition...

Only 1 game under our belts, so this is just wishful thinking at this point, but the potential is there.

BobPound!

I think more than that.  Ogunjobi looks to be a stud in the making.  Calloway has an extra gear and good hands.  I think he can be a super player.  Avery is flashing.

10 hours ago, Orion said:

---

I love me some Jarvis Landry.  His attitude is the exact thing we need in Cleveland.  That being said, I fear he's going to cost us soon with his "fire" and get a penalty.  He could've easily been called a few times this year, and they would have been damning.  I'm hoping he totes the line, but I do believe a penalty on him is coming.  

The defense is already a playoff caliber defense, and if Baker continues to impress, the Cleveland Browns will no longer be pushovers.

I have a feeling there's going to be multiple Pro Bowlers on this team this year.

On 9/24/2018 at 11:26 PM, nickers said:

He looks a hell of a lot like Gary Fencik (85 Bears) doesnt he?.. Only Fencik was a safety If I remember correctly..

Your memory is fine. He was theor FS and still hold the franchise record for career INTs.

On 9/25/2018 at 6:22 AM, MLD Woody said:

Superstars? Uh, maybe just pump the breaks a little here

Agree... the potential is undeniable for Myles, Ward and a couple others, but oddly the only one with a history of excelling, Landry, gets dismissed.

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Superstar is a subjective term I guess, we have three very nice potentials in Mayfield, Garrett, and Ward.

Landry could be on a HOF path if he stays healthy and has productive longevity.

Z

I would add one more that I think may blossom into what we all hope happens for the Browns, that long distance speed burner that opens up the short and intermediate game for Landry, Antonio Callaway. There is so much potential there to clearly replace the talent that was wasted by Josh Gordon. Let us hope that he continues to mature under the guidance of team leader and obvious professional example of Jarvis Landry.

We'll see with Callaway. He does have that Joey Galloway breakaway speed, especially when he runs outside the numbers. I'm glad those Clowney-Garrett comparisons have stopped. Garrett is stronger, has more violent hands, and actually possesses a bull rush.

I was a little skeptical with Ward, but man, the kid is a playmaker. The book on him coming out of college was his inabaility to take the jam during a WR release, but his hips are so unbelievably fluid, he could probably match Tyreek Hill step-for-step. Very excited.

I love Juice, and his 40 was the only reason why he dropped so far in the draft. His 'football speed' was undeniable though, and his hands are every bit as good as Odell's. A notch below Larry Legend's.

Obviously nothing is etched in stone and some guys may have better careers, but gut feeling:

superstars - Myles Garrett, Denzel Ward, Baker Mayfield, Juice.

very good players - Joe Schobert, Christian Kirksey, Antonio Callaway.

2 hours ago, secondwave said:

We'll see with Callaway. He does have that Joey Galloway breakaway speed, especially when he runs outside the numbers. I'm glad those Clowney-Garrett comparisons have stopped. Garrett is stronger, has more violent hands, and actually possesses a bull rush.

I was a little skeptical with Ward, but man, the kid is a playmaker. The book on him coming out of college was his inabaility to take the jam during a WR release, but his hips are so unbelievably fluid, he could probably match Tyreek Hill step-for-step. Very excited.

I love Juice, and his 40 was the only reason why he dropped so far in the draft. His 'football speed' was undeniable though, and his hands are every bit as good as Odell's. A notch below Larry Legend's.

Obviously nothing is etched in stone and some guys may have better careers, but gut feeling:

If Callaway stays clean, he may reach superstar status & the jury is out on Njoku who, I believe, will thrive with Baker as QB.

Mike

5 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

If Callaway stays clean, he may reach superstar status & the jury is out on Njoku who, I believe, will thrive with Baker as QB.

Mike

At this point it's all just projecting these guys' careers so early out, but my biggest concern with Njoku are 1. his hands and 2. he still doesn't know how to use his eyes. He's so physically gifted he should snagging these, i'm not sure if it's mental or if Tyrod didn't place them perfectly for him. But it's the dawn of a new era with Mayfield so we'll see.

Browns beat reporter Daryl Ruiter just tweeted. . .

Baker Mayfield named Rookie for the Week today. Denzel Ward won in Week 1. Great sign for John Dorsey's top picks. #Browns⁠ ⁠ have had a multitude of first rounders over the years that weren't even considered for the award.

2 hours ago, secondwave said:

Calloway or Galloway?

On Njoku... I think he looks better reacting to Baker's "fast balls" than TT's... ummmm... "medium speed" throws. The ball low and behind him (IIRC correctly Baker's 2nd pass) he reacted to and went down and got it.

Waiting on a ball tends to make receivers nervous... especially high, soft ones over the middle.

11 minutes ago, secondwave said:

The bigger question should be, why the hell did the Chiefs let Dorsey go?

Because he was a controlling a$$hole... did not communicate worth a flip.

Hopefully he's better now...cause he certainly has an eye for talent.

Archived