THE BROWNS BOARD

Running Game

Ibleedbrown

During games l’ve caught myself clenching my fist and yelling “RUN IT!!!” very loudly to no one in particular at various downs and distances. First and 10. Second and 10. Third and 4. 

I have a reinvigorated faith in the running game. l’ve seen us peel off enough 10ish yard runs this early on that it makes me giddy. 

6 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

During games l’ve caught myself clenching my fist and yelling “RUN IT!!!” very loudly to no one in particular at various downs and distances. First and 10. Second and 10. Third and 4. 

I have a reinvigorated faith in the running game. l’ve seen us peel off enough 10ish yard runs this early on that it makes me giddy. 

What I saw with Baker was plays getting off much faster, which helped the OL & runners were hitting holes faster. All this also helps the play action passing game as well. I have a feeling we may see all 3 of our backs more active against Oakland.

Mike

2 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

What I saw with Baker was plays getting off much faster, which helped the OL & runners were hitting holes faster. All this also helps the play action passing game as well. I have a feeling we may see all 3 of our backs more active against Oakland.

Mike

Even in the first 2 games our run game got their licks in. It’s sound, and is a good sign.

The unsung hero... Orson Charles (#82) has become the Browns's H-back (TE/FB combo) over the past 2 weeks, especially against the Jets where he played 21 offensive snaps, mostly at FB, and clearly provided Hyde with a boost.

The former 4th round pick out of Georgia by the Bengals in 2012 was converted to FB by none other than... Hue Jackson. After 2 yrs, he got in some trouble, bounced around teams for a couple years and ended up getting signed by the Chiefs in 2017 by none other than... John Dorsey.

He made the roster over Cajuste because of his versatility and Vitale's being sent to IR. So far this year, he has been on the field for more snaps than Duke Johnson and has become a solid ST player.

He will continue to be useful as the season rolls on...

8 hours ago, thenew23 said:

The unsung hero... Orson Charles (#82) has become the Browns's H-back (TE/FB combo) over the past 2 weeks, especially against the Jets where he played 21 offensive snaps, mostly at FB, and clearly provided Hyde with a boost.

The former 4th round pick out of Georgia by the Bengals in 2012 was converted to FB by none other than... Hue Jackson. After 2 yrs, he got in some trouble, bounced around teams for a couple years and ended up getting signed by the Chiefs in 2017 by none other than... John Dorsey.

He made the roster over Cajuste because of his versatility and Vitale's being sent to IR. So far this year, he has been on the field for more snaps than Duke Johnson and has become a solid ST player.

He will continue to be useful as the season rolls on...

Good stuff new23! He did look a wee bit awkward trying to catch a Mayfield sideline pass. Didn’t catch the ball AND didn’t have a prayer to keep both feet in bounds, but if he can clear roadways of obstacles then ok by me. 

15 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Joe Thomas said on Browns Daily that everything seemed to “come alive” with Baker in the game, and that included the running game.  How often last year did we say the passing game HAD to open up the running game because defenses were simply putting 47 players at the line of scrimmage and essentially DARING us to throw on them.  Kizer was so completely miserable “under center” that defenses basically KNEW that if he WAS under center, we were running it.  See if you can find his stats under center…it’s truly appalling. 

Hopefully, Baker will execute some throws early which will keep the defense guessing.  That’s a HUGE part of NFL offenses.  Baker isn’t used to playing under center, but he said he worked very hard to become more comfortable, and if Baker says he works hard at something, I tend to believe him.  I want to say Baker had a few nice tosses under center against the Jets, didn’t he?  Maybe that frozen rope to Higgins in the seam?  I’m not sure.  Anyway, my hope is that Baker can do enough in the passing game to keep defenses on their heels, and that way our running game can really gash some people, AND it helps our play action fakes, too.  How many times did Kizer try a play action fake last year that fooled NOBODY?  It didn’t fool anybody because they weren’t worried about anything, LOL.  Last year our running numbers actually looked pretty good, but that was because we mixed in some runs while we were down against nickel and dime defenses, IMO.  Our yards per carry was pretty decent, just not our total yards (I think).

You know what I loved seeing, but then immediately infuriated me?  The Carlos Hyde touchdown that was called back.  That was a HUGE EFFING PLAY, and Jarvis Landry just couldn’t help himself.  He didn’t need to touch the defender AT ALL, in fact, he could’ve just set a “basketball screen” and stood there.  The defender didn’t see him, and when he turned around he would’ve run right into Landry, and had no chance at Hyde.  These are the kind of penalties that have cost us games in the past, and they will cost us again versus the better teams unless we clean that crap up.  We’re playing on the road this week.  Things don’t typically go as well on the road, and a penalty like Jarvis’ could literally be the difference between winning and losing.  The Raiders have basically lost every game by one or two plays.  Sound familiar?  This game, this weekend is their entire season.  They go 0-4, and it’s getting UGLY.  We’re going to get their very best shot, and they’re healthy.

Clean up the penalties, especially the preventable STUPID ones.  Execute on special teams (stop laughing).  Hold them to FG’s instead of TD’s. 

Win the game.

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Two questions.

Will the offense of line get together to improve the run game eventually?

Second are we officially disappointed with Nick Chubb yet?

WSS

I would think that the line will get better as long as they all stay healthy and continue to work together since the line that is starting has actually only been playing and practicing since week 1.  

Chubb clearly didn't do a lot of blocking at Georgia but other than those missed plays, he's run the ball well when he's had the chance. 

18 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

By this I think you mean quicker snaps... and yes, our pace and energy both picked up noticibly

But also, Baker's getting the ball out quicker puts pressure on the DL. They could not take that beat (or two... or five) to analyze run/pass as they could with TT. If you commit to the pass rush and you set yourself up to be blocked on runs.

15 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Just wait until you see how it looks with 🛎.     😱

Is that a teenie-tiny lil Bell?

14 hours ago, thenew23 said:

I know it's not fashionable in today's game, but Lord, how I do love the "I"...

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

By this I think you mean quicker snaps... and yes, our pace and energy both picked up noticibly

But also, Baker's getting the ball out quicker puts pressure on the DL. They could not take that beat (or two... or five) to analyze run/pass as they could with TT. If you commit to the pass rush and you set yourself up to be blocked on runs.

Is that a teenie-tiny lil Bell?

I know it's not fashionable in today's game, but Lord, how I do love the "I"...

I was BEGGING for the I-formation, and I GOT IT.  You know what's crazy?  We had a fullback on the roster, who was largely unchallenged for the starting role in Danny Vitale.  I believe he's now on the IR?  Gone for the year?  I could be wrong.  Anyway, was it Orson Charles that switched from TE to fullback on those I-formation plays?  How about that 3rd down TD run by Hyde?  It was blocked so well that Bitonio basically had nobody to HIT.  Bitonio hit the hole like a RB, and his mere presence caused the defenders to fly backwards.  

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

I was BEGGING for the I-formation, and I GOT IT.  You know what's crazy?  We had a fullback on the roster, who was largely unchallenged for the starting role in Danny Vitale.  I believe he's now on the IR?  Gone for the year?  I could be wrong.  Anyway, was it Orson Charles that switched from TE to fullback on those I-formation plays?  How about that 3rd down TD run by Hyde?  It was blocked so well that Bitonio basically had nobody to HIT.  Bitonio hit the hole like a RB, and his mere presence caused the defenders to fly backwards.  

Bitonio’s fumble rumble was pretty badass too, at least in the category of things that don’t count. Took like 3 guys to pull him down.

2 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Bitonio’s fumble rumble was pretty badass too, at least in the category of things that don’t count. Took like 3 guys to pull him down.

Are kidding me?! That was COMPLETELY badazz! Dude, Bitonio looked like he knew what to do with the pill, lol! If he would've somehow taken it to the house, I can only imagine the carnage that would've ensued once it was called back for the random "can't advance a fumble under 2 minutes" rule. Btw, Joe Thomas' reaction was absolutely priceless. 

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Bito's rumble was but another sign of the energy the QB change injected into the entire team.

Actually I saw it as reflective of the drive by the entire team to prove to everyone that they are no longer the hapless Browns. No more showing up in name only.

8 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Actually I saw it as reflective of the drive by the entire team to prove to everyone that they are no longer the hapless Browns. No more showing up in name only.

Could be...

Certainly we saw an invigorated Defense the prior 9.9 quarters.

Offensively? I'm not so sure...

Archived