THE BROWNS BOARD

Question from an Englishman

LondonBrown

8 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Why do QB's often slap the ball before they throw it?

For those that do it's kind of a trigger to start their throwing motion. It's akin to a golfer "forward pressing" his hands before a stoke which used to be a universal thing, but now is pretty much relegated to putting.

Sorry... I don't have a futbol example. ;)

EDIT: And it's not a good habit... let's the D know the pass is about to fly.

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

For those that do it's kind of a trigger to start their throwing motion. It's akin to a golfer "forward pressing" his hands before a stoke which used to be a universal thing, but now is pretty much relegated to putting.

Sorry... I don't have a futbol example. ;)

EDIT: And it's not a good habit... let's the D know the pass is about to fly.

Thanks man, maybe I should have just messaged you on this one ;)

1 minute ago, MLD Woody said:

I'm trying to think of a good soccer example. 

Maybe a player that takes a lot of free kicks doing a specific walk back or specific stance before starting their run up for the shot.

Yeah I don't see how you can get closer than that example 

22 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Why do QB's often slap the ball before they throw it?

Coaches hate this and try to get rid of it, but typically if the player does it coming into the NFL, it is pretty damn hard to get rid of. 

4 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Yeah I don't see how you can get closer than that example 

When I'm in goal and about to throw the ball I sometimes take a half step back before going through my motion. Which is more to make it like throwing a football than throwing a soccer ball. 

(Unless of course I'm rushed and just trying to press a counter attack).

But I think the free kick example is better

3 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Coaches hate this and try to get rid of it, but typically if the player does it coming into the NFL, it is pretty damn hard to get rid of. 

I've seen baseball infielders do a similar thing, where they field a grounder and pat the ball in their mitt before throwing the ball over to first. 

It's like a part a timing thing, part nervous tick. 

Just now, LondonBrown said:

Considering how often I seem to see it happen I am surprised to read it's something that is frowned upon let alone not encouraged 

It slows down the process of getting rid of the ball, and can be a "tell", like in poker. 

Same reason coaches hate when a QB brings the ball up around his ear, then drops the ball down a few inches, then raise it back up and throw. That little movement can be the difference between a complete pass and an interception. 

2 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Considering how often I seem to see it happen I am surprised to read it's something that is frowned upon let alone not encouraged 

In addition to the "alert" I mentioned before, it adds a fraction of a second to a QB release time.

Just now, Dutch Oven said:

Same reason coaches hate when a QB brings the ball up around his ear, then drops the ball down a few inches, then raise it back up and throw. That little movement can be the difference between a complete pass and an interception. 

You did not like "the Wheezy Wind-up"? :)

Just now, Tour2ma said:

You did not like "the Wheezy Wind-up"? :)

A friend of mine mimicked the batting style of Eric Davis of the Reds. (A key member of the 1990 World Series winners). 

He had a typical stance, but would drop his hands down to his waist as the pitch came in, and then would have to raise them back up to be able to have a level swing. In practice, I owned him by just busting him up and in with fastballs. That glitch in his swing was the difference between being able to catch up with even my mediocre fastball. When we played games, I'd actually almost get offended when he'd get hits because the other pitchers wouldn't catch on to it. He's my teammate, but I wanted to scream: "Hey dummies, there's no way he can hit the fastball above his waist!" 

11 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

A friend of mine mimicked the batting style of Eric Davis of the Reds. (A key member of the 1990 World Series winners). 

He had a typical stance, but would drop his hands down to his waist as the pitch came in, and then would have to raise them back up to be able to have a level swing. In practice, I owned him by just busting him up and in with fastballs. That glitch in his swing was the difference between being able to catch up with even my mediocre fastball. When we played games, I'd actually almost get offended when he'd get hits because the other pitchers wouldn't catch on to it. He's my teammate, but I wanted to scream: "Hey dummies, there's no way he can hit the fastball above his waist!" 

I remember Davis... and wondering how he made that work for him.

Contrast him with finger McAuliffe... one of the most efficient swings I ever saw. Ugly as snot, but efficient.

Archived