THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker

thenew23

From Albert Breer on "Monday Afternoon Quarterback"

"Browns QB Baker Mayfield graded out well after the coaches looked at his tape on Monday. As they saw it, there were nine drops in the game, and if those had been catches, he’d have gone over 400 yards. And the pick six to Oakland’s Gareon Conley and a fumbled center exchange weren’t on him, as they saw it. He wasn’t perfect, but the staff there is pretty confident in what they can do with the kid."

I hate to be premature, but I think we finally found our Franchise QB... now its time for the rest of the team to step up and start believing in themselves.  Gotta expect to win games!!

Very impressive is that he could have thrown others under the bus, yet didn't. He put it on his own shoulders.

There's no doubt in my mind that Baker's the "Real Deal".

Mike

1 hour ago, thenew23 said:

"Browns QB Baker Mayfield graded out well after the coaches looked at his tape on Monday. As they saw it, there were nine drops in the game, and if those had been catches, he’d have gone over 400 yards. And the pick six to Oakland’s Gareon Conley and a fumbled center exchange weren’t on him, as they saw it. He wasn’t perfect, but the staff there is pretty confident in what they can do with the kid."

I hate to be premature, but I think we finally found our Franchise QB... now its time for the rest of the team to step up and start believing in themselves.  Gotta expect to win games!!

You hate to be "premature"?  I think you're LATE on the notion he is our franchise QB.

6 hours ago, thenew23 said:

It's early yet. RG Knee looked great his first year too...   

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Nine Shmucking drops are you Shmucking serious I wasn’t keeping track but Jesus to Jesus

I wasn't counting Gipper, but I did know Callaway dropped at least three, Joke-you one, and the report was Landry one. Five right there...   All catchable balls, not the Kizer airmail specials requiring a circus catch. 

After Njoku's crucial 3rd down drop in the 4th quarter the game announcers even commented on all the drops. Basically said that Browns receivers need to catch the ball to help a young qb out. Njoku looked awesome in preseason but now that it counts he's reverted back to Board Hands.

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

It's early yet. RG Knee looked great his first year too...   

I wasn't counting Gipper, but I did know Callaway dropped at least three, Joke-you one, and the report was Landry one. Five right there...   All catchable balls, not the Kizer airmail specials requiring a circus catch. 

The Browns dropped the first 3 balls of the game that were basically thrown right in their hands.  But to be fair, the Raiders also dropped a lot of balls. Practically as many as the Browns.

Why did Gregg go into prevent mode... it prevents us from winning.. when are coaches gonna realize that prevent defenses were meant for closing out game.. It doesnt prevent you from losing the game..

3 hours ago, Dste Ace said:

After Njoku's crucial 3rd down drop in the 4th quarter the game announcers even commented on all the drops. Basically said that Browns receivers need to catch the ball to help a young qb out. Njoku looked awesome in preseason but now that it counts he's reverted back to Board Hands.

Is cajuste available?

13 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Drops are overrated everyone has them

keep getting open that’s the key 

Not just drops- its the sheer number of drops. Baker- 41 attempts, 9 drops = 21% drop rate. Unacceptable. 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Not just drops- its the sheer number of drops. Baker- 41 attempts, 9 drops = 21% drop rate. Unacceptable. 

Exactly. A couple were certainly "tough" catches by any definition, but 6-7 were pure drops. Njoku's drop late in the game was EASILY a 25-30 yard play too. 

8 hours ago, Dste Ace said:

I'm just about sick of Chief Queef Njoku. That a-hole drops more passes than Braylon Edwards.

Nine dropped passes. Two dropped passes to start the freaking game off? Jesus. And don't get me started on Callaway. Stone Hands Jr is really starting to piss me off. 

Baker will be fine, if not spectacular. It's the only time I've ever said that about a Browns QB, and I believe it. Now we see why so many of us were against trading Josh Gordon. A young QB needs people to make plays for him. Our receivers drop the ball too often. Josh does not drop the ball often. It's a simple formula. 

But don't worry. We signed Rod Streeter. 

I am confident that Juice will not be dropping balls that often. That said if we want to put Baker in a position to succeed we absolutely must find a good receiver somewhere. I dont know if that's by trade or what but it MUST happen. 

Honestly we need to identify a tradeable asset in a deep position and move on this now. 

19 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

are drops a stat that gets tracked by.like pff or some sht? cause id be awful curious if theres another team anywhere in tbe league over the last decade or two that has as many drops as we do. Cause we can go back to like braylon fukking edwards with this sht.

PFF incorporates them into their grades.

WaPo ( http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/index.asp ) has a good stat sections that includes Team drops. We have 10 as do MIN and PHI.

Here are the Individual drop leaders YTD:

Pass Dropped

Rank Name Team Stats
1t G. Allison GB 3
1t M. Crabtree Bal 3
1t Z. Ertz Phi 3
1t D. Njoku Cle 3
1t G. Tate Det 3
1t A. Thielen Min 3
1t D. Thomas Den 3
1t L. Treadwell Min 3

Njoku has some pretty good company.

I ain't sweating it yet...

12 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

PFF incorporates them into their grades.

WaPo ( http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/index.asp ) has a good stat sections that includes Team drops. We have 10 as do MIN and PHI.

Here are the Individual drop leaders YTD:

Pass Dropped

Rank Name Team Stats
1t G. Allison GB 3
1t M. Crabtree Bal 3
1t Z. Ertz Phi 3
1t D. Njoku Cle 3
1t G. Tate Det 3
1t A. Thielen Min 3
1t D. Thomas Den 3
1t L. Treadwell Min 3

Njoku has some pretty good company.

I ain't sweating it yet...

That's insane. Crabtree has the some of the best hands I've ever seen. The difference between Njoku and some of the others is that Njoku (to me) has far fewer targets. I mean, that one he dropped Sunday was probably...what...25 yards? More if the safety whiffs like he did earlier? 

I read an article about how Baker throws a different ball. I could give two shiits. Catch the ball. No excuses. I can't get over starting the game off with 2 drops. And then Callaway slipping on that pick-6, which would've been an absolute strike. As it was, it clearly hit both of his hands. Would've been an amazing catch, but I'm ready for amazing. 

Speaking of WRs, I think there's a VERY strong chance Dorsey makes a trade, or at least tries to make one before the deadline. When I watch our offense (with Baker), that seems to be the giant piece we're missing. That elite caliber WR who can consistently make the superb play. Obviously it really hurts because we just traded a guy like that, but nobody would EVER call Gordon reliable. But if Gordon stays on the straight and narrow with the Pats, I'll be really pissed because you KNOW they don't put up with crap. Gordon played just 18 snaps last game and only had 2 catches for around 32 yards. It stands to reason that he'll play more as he gains health and offensive understanding. We may get to watch what we could've had, and it wouldn't be good for us. What's one of the best things a team can have for their rookie QB? A stud WR. 

Anyway, I fully expect us to make a move. Callaway has vast potential, but he's really wearing thin on my nerves, and we're not going to tolerate drops every game. We need a WR and need it badly. One thing I will say about Callaway is he gets open, and he gets open DEEP. Unfortunately, our QBs don't seem inclined to ever make the dang throw. At least give Callaway the CHANCE to drop it! I mean....catch it. Just read an article about Callaway receiving less snaps. It's tough because he definitely gets open, but he's really costing us with drops and he had a penalty, too. I'm surprised nobody is talking about the dropped 2 point conversion he had. That's quite literally the difference in the game. 

I still want to be sure and praise Mayfield though. After the Jets game, we knew there'd be turnovers. He got away with a fumble and a should-be pick. He wasn't as lucky against Oakland, which is typical of playing on the road. BUT...most of his throws were beyond solid, even incredible at times. The pick-6 was awful luck on the slip, and then bad hands by Callaway. He continues to own the middle of the field, which is super tough for rookies. We start catching the ball, and we're going to be very tough. Of course, Baker won't be enjoying that kind of time in the pocket in most games, including this week versus the Ravens. How many sacks does T-Sizzle have against us? 457? Yeah....he better get that ball OUT this weekend if it's even going to be a close game, which I don't think it will be. I can already see Josh Brown streaking down the field. Hope I'm wrong. 

In Baker we trust. 

On 10/2/2018 at 11:43 AM, nickers said:

Why did Gregg go into prevent mode... it prevents us from winning.. when are coaches gonna realize that prevent defenses were meant for closing out game.. It doesnt prevent you from losing the game..

NFLN had the replay of the Raiders game last night, and I watched the last two minutes of regulation. What struck me was on our punt (to my mind) there was a flagrant block in the back that always gets called. But not if you're the Browns. 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

NFLN had the replay of the Raiders game last night, and I watched the last two minutes of regulation. What struck me was on our punt (to my mind) there was a flagrant block in the back that always gets called. But not if you're the Browns. 

Yeah , I caught that too.. You just hate to see The Refs dictate the outcomes of games.. But to me.. it just seemed like there was something fishy going on...

1 minute ago, Clevfan4life said:

i would welcome dez at this point. Kind of irritated now we didnt get dez presumably cause gordo was on his way back. 

He had his opportunity- and wanted more than what we were offering. Sort of the same reason Le'veon Bell is cooling his heels in Miami. What would be his place on the Browns anyway? Crying he's not getting enough balls thrown his way- because Baker is finding the guy who's open? 

Look at it this way- when we sent Josh packing, we signed a no-name guy (Streater). Think the Browns didn't seriously consider making an offer to Dez instead, and passed?  

Archived