THE BROWNS BOARD

Tribe have become chokers

The Gipper

Unfortuneatly, it is true.    I am old enough to remember that the Tribe never appeared in the playoffs until I was 42 years old....(yea, they made the WS when I was  just 2....but they choked away that series)

Since then however, they have been competitive, getting into the playoffs a number of times.....but now it is all choke after choke after choke.  They choked away the 1995 and 1997s  WS.   1997...had the lead going into the last inning.....choked it and the game away.

Between 1997 and 2007, they made the playoffs a couple of times....did nothing.

2007, had a 3-1 lead vs. Red Sox for a trip to the World Series.    Choked it away

2016 had a 3-1 lead in the World Series.....Choked it away.

2017  had a 2-0 lead vs. Yankees in division series....choked it away

This year, lose 3 games to 0 to the Astroholes.      

I guess maybe, getting swept is not choking like the other losses.  Though I think it is a form of choking when you don't even bother to show up in a series essentially. 

So, will the mantra of choking continue with this team?   They should still be good enough to win their division.....but I heard a stat that went:   Tribe had a huge margin of wins vs. the bad teams of the AL Central.....but was only  just 1 game over .500 against every other team they played.

So, maybe they didn't choke this year.......maybe they really just are not that good.  An average team.  

Postseason Results

Year Round Opponent Result
2016 World Series Chicago Cubs Lost, 3-4
  AL Championship Series Toronto Blue Jays Won, 4-1
  AL Division Series Boston Red Sox Won, 3-0
2013 AL Wild Card Tampa Bay Rays Lost, 0-4
2007 AL Championship Series Boston Red Sox Lost, 3-4
  AL Division Series New York Yankees Won, 4-1
2001 AL Division Series Seattle Mariners Lost, 2-3
1999 AL Division Series Boston Red Sox Lost, 2-3
1998 AL Championship Series New York Yankees Lost, 2-4
  AL Division Series Boston Red Sox Won, 3-1
1997 World Series Florida Marlins Lost, 3-4
  AL Championship Series Baltimore Orioles Won, 4-2
  AL Division Series New York Yankees Won, 3-2
1996 AL Division Series Baltimore Orioles Lost, 1-3
1995 World Series Atlanta Braves Lost, 2-4
  AL Championship Series Seattle Mariners Won, 4-2
  AL Division Series Boston Red Sox Won, 3-0
1954 World Series New York Giants Lost, 0-4
1948 World Series Boston Braves Won, 4-2
1920 World Series Brooklyn Robins Won, 5-2

this is through 2016.   Add the choke job against the Yankees last year, and the lay down like dogs job vs. Houston this year.

They didn't choke. A team only chokes when it loses to an inferior team.

I'm no baseball guy, but when all these 'experts' predicted the Wahoos to be in the World Series, I said laughing to myself... not if they have to play the Astros.

The Astros being the superior team would have been the chokers had they lost to the whimpering Wahoos.

11 hours ago, StinkHole said:

They didn't choke. A team only chokes when it loses to an inferior team.

I'm no baseball guy, but when all these 'experts' predicted the Wahoos to be in the World Series, I said laughing to myself... not if they have to play the Astros.

The Astros being the superior team would have been the chokers had they lost to the whimpering Wahoos.

Well, I was going on the litany of choke jobs from the past.....where they had big leads in series only to blow them, by like losing 3 in a row.

While the Astroholes may have been the better team, this still fell into the category of "laid down like a dog".

Chokers don't make it to the playoffs year after year. 

Key injuries can really make you yook like a choker (see 2016). I do agree they really underperformed this year after blowing the ALDS last year.

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

We made the playoffs because we were in the weakest division in baseball.  Houston is a step or two above us.  That's just the way it is.

2018 in weakest division in MLB. The Tribe did look flat, very disappointing.

2017 best record in MLB including a once in a century 22 game win streak. They did choke in the ALDS. Burned out?

2016 went to WS Game 7 with basically a 3 man rotation. Went to extra innings after a ridiculous 17 minute rain delay, Kluber started 3 games.

Just the way it was.

14 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Losing games when you’re ahead in the ninth inning is choking. Losing series when you are up 3 to 1 or two to nothing is choking. Maybe this year they didn’t choke but they did as I said lay down like dogs

The sad part is in 2016, 17, 18 they let a pitching bonanza slip through their fingers, Cy Young and all.

PLUS free agency may take a big hit on the INDIANS :(

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Change is coming to the Indians' roster and it could be widespread.

Carlos Carrasco, Michael Brantley, Josh Tomlin, Cody Allen, Lonnie Chisenhall, Andrew Miller, Melky Cabrera, Raja Davis, Brandon Guyer, Oliver Perez and Josh Donaldson could be free agents at the end of the World Series. Carrasco and Guyer are the only players with club options for 2019.

The reality of that change hit home Monday after the Indians were swept out of the ALDS in three games by the Houston Astros. Houston completed the sweep with an emphatic 11-3 victory at Progressive Field.

Tomlin, Brantley and Jason Kipnis sat in a far corner of the locker room after the game. They talked quietly and seemed in no hurry to leave. They'll be cleaning out their lockers in the next few days, but while Kipnis is signed through 2019 with a club option for 2020, Tomlin and Brantley may not be coming back.

Players like Tomlin, Brantley, Kipnis and Chisenhall, who was not with the team in September or the postseason, have played together for a long time. They went to the World Series in 2016, reached Game 7 and fell short. They believed they had the talent to finish the job, but it didn't happen.........continued........

And Fransisco Lindor and Trevor Bauer are arbitration candidates.......they MUST be kept.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

The sad part is in 2016, 17, 18 they let a pitching bonanza slip through their fingers, Cy Young and all.

PLUS free agency may take a big hit on the INDIANS :(

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Change is coming to the Indians' roster and it could be widespread.

Carlos Carrasco, Michael Brantley, Josh Tomlin, Cody Allen, Lonnie Chisenhall, Andrew Miller, Melky Cabrera, Raja Davis, Brandon Guyer, Oliver Perez and Josh Donaldson could be free agents at the end of the World Series. Carrasco and Guyer are the only players with club options for 2019.

The reality of that change hit home Monday after the Indians were swept out of the ALDS in three games by the Houston Astros. Houston completed the sweep with an emphatic 11-3 victory at Progressive Field.

Tomlin, Brantley and Jason Kipnis sat in a far corner of the locker room after the game. They talked quietly and seemed in no hurry to leave. They'll be cleaning out their lockers in the next few days, but while Kipnis is signed through 2019 with a club option for 2020, Tomlin and Brantley may not be coming back.

Players like Tomlin, Brantley, Kipnis and Chisenhall, who was not with the team in September or the postseason, have played together for a long time. They went to the World Series in 2016, reached Game 7 and fell short. They believed they had the talent to finish the job, but it didn't happen.........continued........

Are these turds going to start blaming the manager?

8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Are these turds going to start blaming the manager?

You mean the future HOF manager Terry Francona? Hopefully he stays forever or as long as he wants to do the job.

On 10/10/2018 at 12:29 PM, mjp28 said:

And Fransisco Lindor and Trevor Bauer are arbitration candidates.......they MUST be kept.

Bauer can go straight to hell.. He has choked in every playoff games hes been in.. Trade him for someone with some steel in his nerves.. This kid blows...

2 hours ago, nickers said:

Bauer can go straight to hell.. He has choked in every playoff games hes been in.. Trade him for someone with some steel in his nerves.. This kid blows...

Bauer might be the best pitcher on a fine staff right now he coulda won 20 games if he didn't fracture his leg. RUNS, they needed runs.

Chokers? All season? The potentially good/great hitters they should have been solid 1-6 not just Lindor and Brantley who wasn't supposed to be the main man in the OF. 

Kluber, Bauer, Carrasco, Clevinger, Beeber as good as there is in MLB as a group. (oh I saw all or part of about 155 or so games (+/-) this year, retired is nice :) )

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Bauer might be the best pitcher on a fine staff right now he coulda won 20 games if he didn't fracture his leg. RUNS, they needed runs.

Chokers? All season? The potentially good/great hitters they should have been solid 1-6 not just Lindor and Brantley who wasn't supposed to be the main man in the OF. 

Kluber, Bauer, Carrasco, Clevinger, Beeber as good as there is in MLB as a group. (oh I saw all or part of about 155 or so games (+/-) this year, retired is nice :) )

The bottom line is Bauer and Kluber choke in post season period.. trade them both.. please... Get us 2 pitchers that dont go chickenshit when it counts...

Archived