THE BROWNS BOARD

Do you feel differently about our schedule now?

Ghoolie

A couple of months ago people were looking at the schedule trying to count the soft games where we had a chance to win.

I think now, all 12 games literally present a possible victim to the Browns. What a difference.

It's funny you created a thread like this because just last night I'm looking at the schedule and thinking, "Hmmmmm." 

Here's the thing. I'm watching the Saints last night ABSOLUTELY CRUSH the Redskins, and I'm thinking, "Jesus, we shut down THIS offense for most of the day?!" Then I'm watching the Jets lay the smack down on somebody, and we had THEM shut down for most of the day, too. I mean....we're a duck snort away from being 4-1 or even 5-0. 

What really hurts is our offense is a stud WR away from being REALLY nasty, and while NOBODY expected Josh Gordon to actually get it together, most of us were still hoping. It definitely hurt to see Gordon catch that long TD bomb in double coverage because that's EXACTLY what we need. Anyway, no use crying over spilled milk. 

Baker Mayfield gives us a chance to win every game, and it feels incredible to have a QB we can build around. Some might say it's only been 2.5 games and we shouldn't anoint Baker just yet, but let me tell you...he's here to stay, and he's legit. Do you realize how many 3rd and longs Baker has converted in just 10 quarters? Heck, in the last game alone Baker converted multiple 3rd and longs, and it would've been MORE if not for obligatory drops by Callaway and Chief Skillet Hands Njoku. 

Missing out on those first few wins will likely cost us a trip to the playoffs UNLESS we get extremely lucky with injuries. Injuries happen to every team, and I just don't think one offseason is enough time to revamp a starting roster AND get enough depth to make it through an NFL season as one of the 12 best teams. But you know what's crazy? If we get lucky with the injury bug, I honestly do think we're one of the top 12 teams in the league. Did I just say that? I guess this is what happens when you actually hit on 1st round picks. Lol! (how good is Denzel Ward btw? Jesus. We have candidates for the offensive rookie of the year AND defensive rookie of the year) 

In short, yes. The schedule isn't what I thought it was, and not that I think we're going undefeated from here on out, but because having a QB like Baker lets us compete in virtually every game. And Browns fans are smart enough to know that rookies will have bad days, but even when/if Baker DOES have that game, I know he's mentally strong enough to learn from it and come back stronger. 

So what games are you now rethinking? Well, pretty much all of them. This week's Charger game might be one of toughest left on the schedule. Rivers is playing very well, and he's an accurate QB who get hot and make life difficult for a defense. Whereas the defense was largely responsible for the last victory, it might be the offense that has to step up this week. And how much fun does that Kansas City Chiefs game look like?! Man, I really hope they're undefeated when we play them. Did you know the last time Baker and Mahomes played each other in college, Mahomes had over 700 yards passing and Baker had 550? Lol! Baker's team won like 60 to 50 or something like that. 

Right now, the schedule is wide open. All of our division games will be slug-fests, but at least some of the other games aren't looking as stout. This is what it feels like to be competitive, and it's so much fun. Even if we do lay an egg one week, it feels like we'll come back stronger. 

I think it's time. It's finally time. I'm purchasing a Cleveland Browns QB jersey. The Baker Mayfield color rush version (when it's in stock, lol). 

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

It's funny you created a thread like this because just last night I'm looking at the schedule and thinking, "Hmmmmm." 

Here's the thing. I'm watching the Saints last night ABSOLUTELY CRUSH the Redskins, and I'm thinking, "Jesus, we shut down THIS offense for most of the day?!" Then I'm watching the Jets lay the smack down on somebody, and we had THEM shut down for most of the day, too. I mean....Jesus...we're a duck snort away from being 4-1 or even 5-0. 

What really hurts is our offense is a stud WR away from being REALLY nasty, and while NOBODY expected Josh Gordon to actually get it together, most of us were still hoping. It definitely hurt to see Gordon catch that long TD bomb in double coverage because that's EXACTLY what we need. Anyway, no use crying over spilled milk. 

Baker Mayfield gives us a chance to win every game, and it feels incredible to have a QB we can build around. Some might say it's only been 2.5 games and we shouldn't anoint Baker just yet, but let me tell you...he's here to stay, and he's legit. Do you realize how many 3rd and longs Baker has converted in just 10 quarters? Heck, in the last game alone Baker converted multiple 3rd and longs, and it would've been MORE if not for obligatory drops by Callaway and Chief Skillet Hands Njoku. 

Missing out on those first few wins will likely cost us a trip to the playoffs UNLESS we get extremely lucky with injuries. Injuries happen to every team, and I just don't think one offseason is enough time to revamp a starting roster AND get enough depth to make it through an NFL season as one of the 12 best teams. But you know what's crazy? If we get lucky with the injury bug, I honestly do think we're one of the top 12 teams in the league. Jesus, did I just say that? I guess this is what happens when you actually hit on 1st round picks. Lol! (how good is Denzel Ward btw? Jesus. We have candidates for the offensive rookie of the year AND defensive rookie of the year) 

In short, yes. The schedule isn't what I thought it was, and not that I think we're going undefeated from here on out, but because having a QB like Baker lets us compete in virtually every game. And Browns fans are smart enough to know that rookies will have bad days, but even when/if Baker DOES have that game, I know he's mentally strong enough to learn from it and come back stronger. 

So what games are you now rethinking? Well, pretty much all of them. This week's Charger game might be one of toughest left on the schedule. Rivers is playing very well, and he's an accurate QB who get hot and make life difficult for a defense. Whereas the defense was largely responsible for the last victory, it might be the offense that has to step up this week. And how much fun does that Kansas City Chiefs game look like?! Man, I really hope they're undefeated when we play them. Did you know the last time Baker and Mahomes played each other in college, Mahomes had over 700 yards passing and Baker had 550? Lol! Baker's team won like 60 to 50 or something like that. 

Right now, the schedule is wide open. All of our division games will be slug-fests, but at least some of the other games aren't looking as stout. This is what it feels like to be competitive, and it's so much fun. Even if we do lay an egg one week, it feels like we'll come back stronger. 

I think it's time. It's finally time. I'm purchasing a Cleveland Browns QB jersey. The Baker Mayfield color rush version (when it's in stock, lol). 

Agreed. Unlike in seasons past, this team is making the highlight films. Every week not just one play or player, but multiples are getting a "holy schidt" reaction. I have to think that as the season goes along, our stupid mistakes begin to evaporate and the talent begins to play more consistently. Win, lose or draw, the team has a different feel to it. Nobody is going to blow these guys out, and I think a playoff caliber record is a reasonable expectation.Mistakes have been the only reason opponents have been close.

You mark my words, they are going to start punking some teams. 

Boy, I would love that so much. It's funny, I almost can't imagine what punking a team would look like, lol. But I find myself agreeing with you. We have a game where things click and the opposition has an off day, and it could get ugly very quickly for someone. That's what makes 2016 and 2017 so strange. Yeah, we were obviously low on talent, but we didn't have really ONE game where things went completely our way? It's so rare. Even bad teams GENERALLY have at least one game where the stars align, ya know? 

I really hope we learn from the Oakland game. We had a 14 point lead in the second half and gave up 20 straight points mainly because of turnovers. We need to understand how to play with a lead, and how to step on some throats. I know some fans were really upset that we came out throwing the ball up 14, but I LIKED it. The fumble was a result of our iffy RT Hubbard getting frog-marched back to the pocket like a little beeotch. 

Something else that gives us life and is the mark of a competent offense? At least three separate times against the Ravens we had 2nd and 20 and ended up getting first downs. Obviously none bigger than the Derrick Willies play, but in years past if we had a holding penalty or lost yards on first down, it was probably a punt (if we didn't turn it over, lol). Now we've shown the ability to get some yards on second down, and then make it a manageable 3rd. We've really been impressive in this area. 

Perhaps even more impressive was the bounce-back performance of our defense. I know I was alarmed after we gave up 600 yards to an 0-3 team, so it's quite a relief to see such a dominant performance Sunday. I expect a lot more points being scored (from both teams) this weekend, and I'm really hoping Joey Bosa doesn't come back against us (although it seems like every good player returns against us, lol). Joey Bosa is a nightmare and I DON'T want to see him Sunday. Hehe. 

Sorry for writing so much. I'm just excited and I have plenty of time because my city is shut down due to the hurricane coming right to my front freaking door. 

8 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

A couple of months ago people were looking at the schedule trying to count the soft games where we had a chance to win.

I think now, all 12 games literally present a possible victim to the Browns. What a difference.

I think it is proven that the Browns can keep up with just about anyone.....that is, IF you believe that the likes of the Saints, Steelers, Ravens are good teams. 

Of course, the two teams proving to be the best this year are The Rams and the Chiefs.  How would the Browns fare agains them?   Rams not on Browns schedule.  But, I believe that the Chiefs come here to Cleveland on November 4th.    So we shall see.  That could be a real barn burner.

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I think it is proven that the Browns can keep up with just about anyone.....that is, IF you believe that the likes of the Saints, Steelers, Ravens are good teams. 

Of course, the two teams proving to be the best this year are The Rams and the Chiefs.  How would the Browns fare agains them?   Rams not on Browns schedule.  But, I believe that the Chiefs come here to Cleveland on November 4th.    So we shall see.  That could be a real barn burner.

Oddly enough.. Nov 4th is the day we fall back (turn the clocks back)

I’m with you Ghoolie. I don’t remember who said it or even what thread it was in, but someone asked where in the schedule you could possibly see five wins. After beating a stout team and looking at what we’ve done with the others, any game is now winnable. I’m not going crazy yet saying we’re going to the playoffs, but playing the Browns is nowhere near an auto W like it used to be at all. If we play like we have been, ANY GAME is winnable. 

We could be 5-0 but could also be 0-5, Hue is still holding the team back and we are only one week on from a defeat to the 1-4 Raiders

I'm being a bit half empty I know but I just don't trust him despite what Baker can do by himself

10 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

You never know- the Browns have to stay healthy at the key positions to have a chance in every game. & it goes to show when you look at the schedule before the season starts, you can get fooled. Just look at Atlanta- I don't doubt way back in July most of us would have put that game up as a big loss, but they've lost three key starters in their defensive secondary, and unless Matt Ryan can put up 40 in every game, they're not going to win many.  

That said, the latest power rankings on ESPN- with the disclaimer- have the Browns remaining schedule as the second toughest in the NFL.   So much for the " schedule award break" of going 0-16.  

think about how badly now Gordon fukked us. I hope no one has any love for that guy anymore. If his returning was the reason the Browns balked at signing Dez…..mmaaannnnnn, cause we could absolutely use Dez now. I don't know if he's been sitting on the couch too many months now and no teams want to take a shot....but fuk, we need a stud deep threat. 

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

You never know- the Browns have to stay healthy at the key positions to have a chance in every game. & it goes to show when you look at the schedule before the season starts, you can get fooled. Just look at Atlanta- I don't doubt way back in July most of us would have put that game up as a big loss, but they've lost three key starters in their defensive secondary, and unless Matt Ryan can put up 40 in every game, they're not going to win many.  

That said, the latest power rankings on ESPN- with the disclaimer- have the Browns remaining schedule as the second toughest in the NFL.   So much for the " schedule award break" of going 0-16.  

Yes, well....ask yourself if other teams, at the beginning of the year were counting the Browns as wins on their schedule....and now what are they thinking?

2 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

think about how badly now Gordon fukked us. I hope no one has any love for that guy anymore. If his returning was the reason the Browns balked at signing Dez…..mmaaannnnnn, cause we could absolutely use Dez now. I don't know if he's been sitting on the couch too many months now and no teams want to take a shot....but fuk, we need a stud deep threat. 

Bryant isn't a "stud deep threat"- not anymore. The reason why the Cowboys cut him, lost a step or two, and can't get separation. We supposedly offered him $5 million, in case you forgot- and he turned it down. So if 31 other teams don't want Dez, then why in the hell should we? Bryant can sit at home and take shots at Jerry Jones on Instagram, and rot for all I care. . 

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Larry, not giving into I told you so stuff, but I never really accepted that one could put any value on the next year's schedule based on what those teams would look like 9 months later. Drafts, trades, injuries, players aging, coach changes, and other personal issues make it a high probability that a team at the end of the year, is highly likely to be very different the following year. Yeah, the better teams remain tough, but a lot of things constantly change.

My point here is that regardless of how tough our schedule is, even the worst Doubting Ghoolie/Thomas can see that the 2018 Browns are competitive with anyone.

3 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

I think you need to broader perspective on this. It was Dorsey who fukked Gordon. Seriously, Gordon got the schidt end of the stick. When opposing coaches realize what I have pointed out, that being that Tom Brady no longer can get rid of the ball, as soon as a defense lays off the zone crap and starts pressuring him, you will see a QB and a team at the end of their dynasty. Brady is done, the Pats are done. The first D to bravely go after Brady will pave the way. Gordon went to a team that USED TO BE. Fukck Gordon, Fukck Belichik, and Fukck the Patriots.

11 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Boy, I would love that so much. It's funny, I almost can't imagine what punking a team would look like, lol. But I find myself agreeing with you. We have a game where things click and the opposition has an off day, and it could get ugly very quickly for someone. That's what makes 2016 and 2017 so strange. Yeah, we were obviously low on talent, but we didn't have really ONE game where things went completely our way? It's so rare. Even bad teams GENERALLY have at least one game where the stars align, ya know? 

I really hope we learn from the Oakland game. We had a 14 point lead in the second half and gave up 20 straight points mainly because of turnovers. We need to understand how to play with a lead, and how to step on some throats. I know some fans were really upset that we came out throwing the ball up 14, but I LIKED it. The fumble was a result of our iffy RT Hubbard getting frog-marched back to the pocket like a little beeotch. 

Something else that gives us life and is the mark of a competent offense? At least three separate times against the Ravens we had 2nd and 20 and ended up getting first downs. Obviously none bigger than the Derrick Willies play, but in years past if we had a holding penalty or lost yards on first down, it was probably a punt (if we didn't turn it over, lol). Now we've shown the ability to get some yards on second down, and then make it a manageable 3rd. We've really been impressive in this area. 

Perhaps even more impressive was the bounce-back performance of our defense. I know I was alarmed after we gave up 600 yards to an 0-3 team, so it's quite a relief to see such a dominant performance Sunday. I expect a lot more points being scored (from both teams) this weekend, and I'm really hoping Joey Bosa doesn't come back against us (although it seems like every good player returns against us, lol). Joey Bosa is a nightmare and I DON'T want to see him Sunday. Hehe. 

Sorry for writing so much. I'm just excited and I have plenty of time because my city is shut down due to the hurricane coming right to my front freaking door. 

I am standing by my prediction the punking teams starts this week. Call it a hunch but I feel a statement game coming Sunday.  A game that sends notice to the entire NFL that we are about to take all the sh!t dished out about us the last two years and ram it down your throats. Fck I can’t wait until Sunday. 

I originally thought we'd win 6.  I think we got a shot at 7-8.    Baker running the offense and our D makes just about every game winnable.  But Special teams,  stupid play calls, lack of depth and injury hold us down.    Next year we add some more talent, add depth...….  We can win this division. 

Right now I think no matter the opponent I think we have a fighting chance to win the game. Baker and offense should only get better as the season progresses too, if this team can learn to to finish games in regulation they could be dangerous.

13 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

No problem at all. I enjoy the enthusiasm. I don't know if I can ever get my Browns swagger back, given the move and losing both parents after the move. It is a hard thing to explain. So many of my best memories are of the old days with my parents, and aunts and uncles now long gone, at times it feels like the Browns, but at others I feel a million miles away.

The winning for me, is irrelevant. However, seeing fans enthusiastic again, is something new, ya know? It feels a bit like it did in the great days. Not having a lot of emotion in this hunt, I think I have a pretty realistic view of this team. I think a 10 -6 record is not that far of a stretch. Call me Ghoolie Crazy, but I think we won't lose a divisional game. I believe this team is that good. They just don't know it yet. A big part of me is fukcing sick and tired of people being clueless about what our heritage is all about. You think its just you guys that hate the front runners? I promise, I fukcing hate them worse than even Gip.

So, fukck the Chargers.

7 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

No problem at all. I enjoy the enthusiasm. I don't know if I can ever get my Browns swagger back, given the move and losing both parents after the move. It is a hard thing to explain. So many of my best memories are of the old days with my parents, and aunts and uncles now long gone, at times it feels like the Browns, but at others I feel a million miles away.

The winning for me, is irrelevant. However, seeing fans enthusiastic again, is something new, ya know? It feels a bit like it did in the great days. Not having a lot of emotion in this hunt, I think I have a pretty realistic view of this team. I think a 10 -6 record is not that far of a stretch. Call me Ghoolie Crazy, but I think we won't lose a divisional game. I believe this team is that good. They just don't know it yet. A big part of me is fukcing sick and tired of people being clueless about what our heritage is all about. You think its just you guys that hate the front runners? I promise, I fukcing hate them worse than even Gip.

So, fukck the Chargers.

I love this. And I understand how you feel. Heck, right now I'm watching the Ravens game again. Lol. Why? Because I love seeing the fans. There's a video on Browns' Twitter that is a compilation of various fan celebrations and it's amazing! 

We tend to play well against the Chargers, and they're a team known to have those "Wtf Games" during the season, especially on cross country road trips. I'm still really worried about our special teams, and our kicker has already shown us the banana kick and the knuckle ball, lol. You know what would be nice? To beat a team so badly that FG's don't enter the equation. Hehehe. And I hope Hue goes for 1 on extra point scenarios. We need our kicker to have CONFIDENCE. Perhaps it's like basketball where a good scorer is having difficulty, but then gets to the free throw line and sees the ball go through the basket, and then gets hot? Just another crazy Jiggins theory, lol. I will say this...we had opportunities for 3 other turnovers, at least Sunday and we didn't get them. A Ravens fumble on special teams, and several interception opportunities we didn't take advantage of. We need to make those plays :)

One more thing, we had MULTIPLE chances to extend the lead deep into the second half Sunday while we were up 9-6. Drops and penalties really hurt us on these drives, but if we're going to beat the good teams, we have to find ways to get that soul crushing TD drive that seals the deal, ya know? For instance, it's 9-6 against Ravens with 6 minutes to go. We get a solid first down gain, but then holding. Boom, 1st and 20. We get ANOTHER holding penalty on 2nd down, but it gets declined. We then fail to covert 3rd and 12, and this leads to the Ravens driving down the field and tying it up (should have been Ravens lead, but Crabtree dropped a TD, thank God). Honestly, we should've given Crabtree a freaking game ball, lol. He dropped multiple huge passes. 

The truly good and great teams find ways to salt the game away on offense. There are too many good QBs in the league that find ways to drive their team down the field, but if your offense doesn't even give them A CHANCE, it will make life easier for everyone. To me, this is the last step a team figures out on their path to learning how to win. We had this opportunity against the Saints, but Tyrod threw that awful pick. We had it against the Raiders, but we got screwed by refs and we didn't get enough on that 3rd down. We had it against Ravens, but Callaway dropped a 3rd down beautiful pass, and we also had multiple holding calls. We figure this out, and BOOM. 

19 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Have to admit I'm leaning further and further away from wishing him well and hoping he gets his life together.

WSS

26 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Have to admit I'm leaning further and further away from wishing him well and hoping he gets his life together.

WSS

Now that JM is sober and starting for Montreal, he could use a decent receiver.😁

Archived