THE BROWNS BOARD

1st half of season breakdown....

Tacosman

Lets start with the defense.  A great +/- in turnovers got us off to a good start, but now the cracks are showing.  Our secondary is disastrous.  Ward has slowed a little bit but still looks

like a good one in the future.  Randall has been hurt recently and is probably serviceable when healthy(but not much more).  Everyone else has been....basally unplayable on any other team.  Our needs are numerous- we need another starting quality corner to go alongside ward, and we need another starting safety to replace whatever percentage of the plays peppers is out there.  That has been an abject disaster and he is unplayable in 2018 in the secondary.  We also need more nickel/slot corners.  The safety to replace peppers needs to be more versatle.  Replacing peppers, bringing in another starting corner, upgrading the '5th' secondary spot in some packages, situations....those all need to be goals.  On the dline, Im not that worried about Garrett.  Sure he's going to get run at sometimes...thats the nature of the beast when talking about an edge pass rusher most of the time.  As for gregg williams, Im sure a lot of it depends on how the fit between(and what power we give nw coach) our new HC and Williams is, but I'd be fine if he went and I suspect he may not be here in 2019 as well depending on who new HC is.

The offense is terrible.  Baker got off to a promising start, but he's been putrid the last several games.  his confidence he started with looks shot.  The wide recievers?  I gotta give myself props for this, because I was the one in here saying our wide recieving group is *still* going to suck coming into the year.  A lot of you guys were saying Landry, Gordon and Callaway would be a top 5 recieving group.  I pointed out that Gordon hasnt looked good(even when on the field) in 5+ years,  Calloway is a late round draft pick, and with Landry just because you pay a guy like a difference making wr doesn't mean he is one.  The last several games he has been pathetic, reverting to his 2017 miami(where he sucked) tendencies.  No idea why Duke isn't more of an option in passing game.  Issues on offensive line.  Everything said above about williams is true of Haley as well.

Just a dissapointing first half

If the Refs give us our hard-earned first down against the Raiders and ...(choose one of three) Zane makes FG against Steelers, Zane makes kicks against Saints, Bucs miss 59 yard FG ... then we are 4-3-1 or 4-4 with two big  losses to AFC Super teams Chargers and Steelers and we are going "Hmm ... We're not there yet, but we have improved a hell of a lot from 0-16."

Well, guess what, we're not there yet, but we have improved a lot from 0-16.

Position by Position:

QB: Baker Mayfield throws the best ball, has the quickest release, and best pocket presence of anyone we have tried at the position since 1999. His stats so far are average, but good for a rookie: 58%, 6.1 y/a, 8TD, 6 Itnt 78.9 rating. Take into account how many fellow rookies he throwing to, and they look very promising. PROGNOSIS: Needs Seasoning

RB: Nick Chubb looks fast, good instincts, hasn't turned the ball over and can carry a work load. Averaging an amazing 6.1 ypc. Duke Johnson is Duke Johnson, not being utilized, but that is on the coaching staff not the player PROGNOSIS: Promising

WR: Acquisition of Jarvis Landry gives us one of the game's best at the slot, but lack of outside help right now is rendering him virtually useless. Callaway and Ratley have shown flashes, but when you compare our corps to other teams, we are sorely lacking. Return of Higgins will help, but like Landry, he is a chain mover, not a home run threat. PROGNOSIS: Lack of threats is stifling the offense.

OT: Des Harrison was thrown in there to learn on the job, and as can be expected there is a learning curve, but he seems to have all the right tools and mindset. More disappointing is the play of Chris Hubbard, who is a solid run blocker, but not the guy you want pass protecting a rookie QB's backside. PROGNOSIS: Not good enough

OG: Zeitler and Bitonio live up to their contracts, terrific vets who don't take snaps off, Browns averaging 4.6 on the ground. PROGNOSIS: Very Solid

C Tretter has been banged up but hasn't left the field, no All-Pro, but reliable. PROGNOSIS: Solid

DT Oganjobi has been a find at DT, Trevon Coley is "just a guy" at this point. The backups are guys off the street. PROGNOSIS: Need another stud.

DE Myles Garrett has the most sacks at the halfway point in Browns history. If we had a reliable rush form the other side he would enter All Pro territory. Ogbah still good at batting down passes, but not at getting to the QB. Not yet, anyway. Chris Smith a solid backup, 3rd round pick Thomas not a factor at all. PROGNOSIS: Halfway there.

ILB Schoebert was having an outstanding year before the hammy snapped, Kirksey filling in is not the same PROGNOSIS: Terrific when healthy

OLB Collins and Kirksey are solid and reliable, and make the occasional big play. Rookie Avery has big potential as a pass rusher, getting schooled right now as an every down player. PROGNOSIS: Not star quality, but solid when everyone is in their normal position.

CB Denzel Ward has been thrown to the fire, and more often than not has risen to the occasion. Covering #1 receivers and causing turnovers. Terrence Mitchell injury hurt, then Gaines dropped too, Carrie is a solid tackler giving good effort, but not your ideal cover guy. PROGNOSIS: Ward needs bookend

S Randall has been a find, playing well despite being dinged up and playing corner when needed. Peppers has been hot and cold, but improving as he goes along, Kindred is a reliable third guy. PROGNOSIS; Good effort, still need more talent.

K: Are you fucking kidding me?

P: Colquitt is good.

Summary: 

Offense is very young and plays like it. Sold inside blocking, front office failed to secure the flanks in the offseason. Run game could be good compliment to the right passing game, but passing game can't get going with rookie QB relying on inexperienced receivers. Mayfield and Chubb should be around a long time while the cast around them hopefully improves.

Defense is good at creating turnovers, but bad at getting stops when the game is on the line. Injuries at MLB and CB have caused guys to be playing out of position and depth to be exposed. Garrett and Ward are rocks to build upon.

How good are we? I break the NFL down into tiers:

First Tier: Top eight teams ... capable of going to SB

Second Tier: teams 9-16 ... Playoff contenders

Third Tier: Teams 17-24 ... Competitive, not embarrassing

Fourth Tier: Teams 25-32 ... Either rebuilding or in need a of a rebuild, can't hang with the big boys

The last two years, we were Team #32, now we are emerging from that 4th tier, trying to break into the the third tier. That is pretty good progress. And with Mayfield, Ward and Garrett in place, a good GM should be able to get this team in the second tier by next year. Dorsey is a good GM.

Zombo

41 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Fourth Tier: Teams 25-32 ... Either rebuilding or in need a of a rebuild, can't hang with the big boys

The last two years, we were Team #32, now we are emerging from that 4th tier, trying to break into the the third tier. That is pretty good progress. And with Mayfield, Ward and Garrett in place, a good GM should be able to get this team in the second tier by next year. Dorsey is a good GM.

Zombo

Unfortunately we are now #5 going bottom to top, so that means we are currently playing like a 4th tier team. The next two games will not be pretty at all. Until Hue leaves we will remain there. The bye week after those next two will be prime opportunity to really start that move to 3rd tier. He's had more than a fair shot. Can him.

18 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Unfortunately we are now #5 going bottom to top, so that means we are currently playing like a 4th tier team. The next two games will not be pretty at all. Until Hue leaves we will remain there. The bye week after those next two will be prime opportunity to really start that move to 3rd tier. He's had more than a fair shot. Can him.

I know we have a bunch of injuries, but who doesn't?  This is a team that fought tooth and nail for the majority of the first 7 games, and now it really feels like the wheels have flown off.  Did we just lose to a good team?  Are we not quite as bad as we appeared yesterday?  Are we still the team that hung with the Saints at their place?  That tied the Steelers?  That went to OT 4 times?  That beat the Ravens?  We certainly don't look like it, and we don't appear able to sustain offensive drives.  I mean, we got that turnover from the free kick and we weren't going to score without a few fortunate penalties on the defense.  Even then, it took a one-handed grab by Callaway on a marshmallow toss from Baker.  Not exactly a confidence inspiring playcall.  

What really gets me is, how many "easy plays" did the Steelers have that went for 15 yards?  Dump off throws to the RB that went for big yards.  Easy comeback routes on the sidelines.  Wide open TE routes over the middle.  Where are OUR EASY plays?  It seems like we have to fight for every, single, yard.  If we complete a pass, the guy is smothered and barely secures the ball.  It literally looked like the Steelers were playing "pitch and catch", and then when we had the ball, it was a complete disaster.  How many times did we throw that negative 2 yard pass to Landry?  What the HECK is that play all about?  We couldn't get one quick slant to anyone?  None of our guys can beat man coverage again?  I realize Baker didn't have time to throw it, but why is every completion such a monumental task?

I also don't understand why our offensive line has gotten progressively WORSE.  We're starting the same group of players that we did on week 1, and yet we're getting worse.  Is that a fair statement?  How many plays can you think of when Baker hiked the ball, and had time to go through progressions?  It seemed to me that when he hiked the ball, he looked at his first read, and if he wasn't open, it was crazy mode.  I don't remember it being like during the first 5 games of the season.  I would never say the OL was particularly GOOD, but it wasn't the albatross it is now.  I'm scared to death that we're ruining Baker Mayfield, and I don't want to see him injured, and I don't want to see him mentally ruined.  But I know that right now he doesn't look like "Baker Mayfield" to me.  He looks hesistant, confused, and unsure of what to do with the ball.  I haven't seen the "all 22" angle from yesterday, but from the field shot, it looked like too many times we didn't have people open.  Our offense has this feel to it...this feel where we don't have a prayer for explosive plays.  Think about it, who on our team is going to make that explosive play for us?  To break a tackle and take it to the house?  Maybe Chubb?  Anyone else?

Great opinions all, and I'd add my simple assessment.

I have zero doubt with a competent coaching staff this team would AT WORSE be at .500 right now. We've vastly improved at several positions and appear to have made strong draft choices with our first three picks, something I'm not sure has happened in a decade. Coaching decisions and one objectively terrible reffing call has cost this team at least two wins, in my humble opinion. We had all the resources in place to beat Oakland and the Bucs, and the above issues ruined those games. Count those as wins and this is sitting at or even above the .500 mark.

With Hue now fired I'll bet my bottom dollar this team improves.

On 10/28/2018 at 4:34 PM, Tacosman said:

Lets start with the defense.  A great +/- in turnovers got us off to a good start, but now the cracks are showing.  Our secondary is disastrous.  Ward has slowed a little bit but still looks

like a good one in the future.  Randall has been hurt recently and is probably serviceable when healthy(but not much more).  Everyone else has been....basally unplayable on any other team.  Our needs are numerous- we need another starting quality corner to go alongside ward, and we need another starting safety to replace whatever percentage of the plays peppers is out there.  That has been an abject disaster and he is unplayable in 2018 in the secondary.  We also need more nickel/slot corners.  The safety to replace peppers needs to be more versatle.  Replacing peppers, bringing in another starting corner, upgrading the '5th' secondary spot in some packages, situations....those all need to be goals.  On the dline, Im not that worried about Garrett.  Sure he's going to get run at sometimes...thats the nature of the beast when talking about an edge pass rusher most of the time.  As for gregg williams, Im sure a lot of it depends on how the fit between(and what power we give nw coach) our new HC and Williams is, but I'd be fine if he went and I suspect he may not be here in 2019 as well depending on who new HC is.

The offense is terrible.  Baker got off to a promising start, but he's been putrid the last several games.  his confidence he started with looks shot.  The wide recievers?  I gotta give myself props for this, because I was the one in here saying our wide recieving group is *still* going to suck coming into the year.  A lot of you guys were saying Landry, Gordon and Callaway would be a top 5 recieving group.  I pointed out that Gordon hasnt looked good(even when on the field) in 5+ years,  Calloway is a late round draft pick, and with Landry just because you pay a guy like a difference making wr doesn't mean he is one.  The last several games he has been pathetic, reverting to his 2017 miami(where he sucked) tendencies.  No idea why Duke isn't more of an option in passing game.  Issues on offensive line.  Everything said above about williams is true of Haley as well.

Just a dissapointing first half

i agree with the whole assement....as far as garrett goes...he is a sutuational pass rusher and that is it...someone on another thread mentioned we gave away all our run stoppers on the dl and all we have are pass rushers...i totally agree with that...we suck at stopping the run...the lb's suffer because of that also because the dl cannot even stop the opposing ol from coming down on the lb's...and that is bad...today is a really bad day....i know people wanted to see jackson fired and deservingly so, but it does nothing but put us back again....like a reboot...the future is uncertain again...

Archived