THE BROWNS BOARD

Interim OC is Freddie Kitchens

LondonBrown

3 hours ago, D Bone said:

Maybe now on 1st and Goal from the 3, they may actually hand the thing off 3 times in a row..... from gulp - under center no less. 

If they do that then I will be happy no matter whether we win or lose. I was very tired of "cutesy" football deep in the redzone the past 2 1/2 years whether it was Hueless or Haley Mills.

16 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Here is a copy of the video on youtube. Neat story. Only time will tell, but a young (43 yr old) Coach on the rise. Good to see him getting a shot at OC. I like it & am anxious to see how he & Williams work together.

Definitely the ying to Williams' yang...

I’m somewhat excited to see what Kitchens can do.  I would say more concerned than excited, but whatever, LOL. 

I think one of the GOOD things that can come out of Kitchens making the calls is the involvement of Duke Johnson.  Kitchens was our RB’s coach, and he’s going to be quite familiar with Duke’s ability.  Let’s see if we finally split him out wide more, or find ways to get him involved in all four quarters.  I mean, our first drive against the Steelers was nice!  It basically started off with two Duke receptions, each for 8 yards, and then the rest of the entire game he didn’t have a catch.  How is that possible?   Speaking of our first drive, it ended on a 3rd and 4 Duke Johnson run.  It didn’t work, but I actually like the call.  It’s really frustrating when you call a run on 3rd down and it doesn’t work, but I liked the play call.  Just didn’t work.

1 hour ago, ATOM said:

so he is a Haley guy how much change to the play calling if any do you see

You can't massively change your system in the middle of the season. Kitchens will still be running Haley's offense, but I wouldn't doubt the plays will be used differently, at different times. With of course an emphasis on avoiding getting Baker killed.  :)

On 10/29/2018 at 3:57 PM, Mark O said:

Are we allowed to do that? 

Man, I have to admit, I was definitely in the camp of, "Run the ball 4 times in a row from the 1 yard line", but we had the ball around the 1 against the Steelers, and we went to run it with Chubb and we got COMPLETELY blown up.  I mean, it wasn't even close.  We got NO push, and I think we lost a yard or two.  My point is, I'm not sure we're GOOD ENOUGH to run it in when the opposition knows it's coming.  I hope I'm wrong, but it just seems to me that we don't get enough push when we need it.  Remember that QB sneak on 4th down?  Man, that wasn't even close.  

You know what play I see many teams score on each week when they're near the goal line?  The shotgun handoff.  The QB catches the snap, hands it off to the RB who gets a full head of steam and plunges in.  I literally see it work multiple times each week.  I don't necessarily love the idea of handing off 4 yards back from the line, but other teams run it quite successfully.  

After watching that video.. I feel good about Kitchens being the OC.. Remember.. This guy was a QB in college.. And instrumental in helping Carson Palmer , resuscitate his career under the auspices of Bruce Arians...

21 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Well, this next game is going to be a win, because Kitchens is going to throw the kitchen sink at em.:rolleyes:

That would have killed on Hee Haw...

Archived