THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland rejects

Babernakle

Why in the hell is 4 of the started for the quifs browns rejects.  Why can we not develop lineman.  Our line is a god dam open door.  The cowboys just fired there line coach maybe we should get him.  I don’t understand why they can get better.  

Greg Robinson actually played quite well in PassPro. He did not allow a hit.

It’s not often a former No. 2 overall pick deputizes for an undrafted rookie, but Greg Robinson did just that and raised the level of play on Baker Mayfield‘s blindside over Desmond Harrison‘s recent performances. He struggled at times as a run blocker but didn’t surrender a hit and gave up only a couple of hurries on 50 plays in pass protection. That’s progress over the last month for the Browns at left tackle.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-nfl-week-9-kansas-city-chiefs-37-cleveland-browns-21

Lot's of comments about The Chiefs starting three Browns "rejects" Reiter, Ervin and Scwartz.

Ervin, quite simply is not as good as the guards we replaced him,with the guards we have now, and he got eaten up at tackle.

Rieter is who we thought he was ... a super sub at center who can go in and your offense doesn't miss a beat. But we really couldn't afford two traditional centers on the roster, with the situation we had at tackle. He wasn't versatile for us, and we had a solid center in place.

Schwartz was certainly no "reject" as I think he became the highest paid right tackle at the time when he signed with the Chiefs. That one was on Sashi's front office. I have no idea why you draft a guy, he turns out to be exactly what you needed, and then you don't give him a second contract because you nickel and dime him.

Clearly we should have kept Mitch and we should have found Joe Thomas' replacement this off-season, instead we are playing guys that were backups with their other teams and a rookie free agent at tackle during Mayfield's all important rookie season.

This is the first game I have missed, as I had to be home, but between the Red Zone, Sirius radio and internet play-by-play I got a good sense of the game, but I could not follow the offensive line, so I can't judge Robinson, but if he didn't give up a hit that is encouraging.

Does he keep the job??

Zombo

25 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Lot's of comments about The Chiefs starting three Browns "rejects" Reiter, Ervin and Scwartz.

Ervin, quite simply is not as good as the guards we replaced him,with the guards we have now, and he got eaten up at tackle.

Rieter is who we thought he was ... a super sub at center who can go in and your offense doesn't miss a beat. But we really couldn't afford two traditional centers on the roster, with the situation we had at tackle. He wasn't versatile for us, and we had a solid center in place.

Schwartz was certainly no "reject" as I think he became the highest paid right tackle at the time when he signed with the Chiefs. That one was on Sashi's front office. I have no idea why you draft a guy, he turns out to be exactly what you needed, and then you don't give him a second contract because you nickel and dime him.

Clearly we should have kept Mitch and we should have found Joe Thomas' replacement this off-season, instead we are playing guys that were backups with their other teams and a rookie free agent at tackle during Mayfield's all important rookie season.

This is the first game I have missed, as I had to be home, but between the Red Zone, Sirius radio and internet play-by-play I got a good sense of the game, but I could not follow the offensive line, so I can't judge Robinson, but if he didn't give up a hit that is encouraging.

Does he keep the job??

Zombo

I think he probably will keep the job. I could see Greg Williams and company tinkering some more with the o line, like inserting Corbett in there too. Last season, the o line was great at pass protection, poor in run blocking. This year, the opposite it true.

44 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Does he keep the job??

Zombo

He probably should.   But if Robinson played pretty well on the left side,   Hubbard made up for it by playing a lot of OLE'  right tackle. 

9 hours ago, Zombo said:

Does he keep the job??

Platoon?

I know the era of the "message OL" is long past, but why not sub Robinson in for obvious passing downs?

On 11/4/2018 at 6:30 PM, Babernakle said:

Why in the hell is 4 of the started for the quifs browns rejects.  Why can we not develop lineman.  Our line is a god dam open door.  The cowboys just fired there line coach maybe we should get him.  I don’t understand why they can get better.  

Isn't it funny? Once again, everything I have ever tried to teach you guys about the OL comes back and slaps you all in the face....over and over and over.....and STILL..... STILL... you can't see the forest for the trees.

Of my many battles with Hoorta, and those who call me a troll, last year, and a Hoorta thread will prove this out.............. I said to the board and Hoorta, many, many times...........

• The Browns OL talent has ALWAYS been very good
  • I was told that I was crazy for calling Cam Irving a solid OL player
  • I was likewise blasted for having the audacity to call OL ALL dime-a-dozen players who are the least talented athletes in all of pro sports.

But you guys know better. No matter what the truth is, you will attack ANYONE who dares to shake yo the Browns fan narrative that Offensive Linemen are important, valuable, hard to come by and blah blah blah blah blah..................... YET HERE YOU ARE...............posting in frustration everything I have been telling you guys all along.

Cam Erving, earning 8.4 million and doing a nice job for a team that is a hell of a lot better than the one he left.Babers, the answer to your frustration lies within my many posts. You guys, however, will just not listen. You know better. You are all experts of the game, experts on talent and experts on analytics.

I will say this to you again and blast me all you want, a year from now you will be again saying Ghoolie was right> Dude,,,,it IS an embarrassment to see so many Browns rejects doing very well for other teams. The answer you seek is simple......................The Cleveland Browns do not have a culture with which they indoctrinate players, coaches, fans, and the media.

The fact that Dorsey could have an HC and OC undergoing a constant catfight is clear evidence of this lack of discipline and culture. You don't fire a coach at 0 - 16, but decide to do it at 2-6-1? WTF is that? You can't harness Gordon, and then watch him catch 5 for 130 yards and a TD? ( WHile our guys drop passes?

Let me say this to you again. The skill players on offense make the offensive line. Always have, always will. WHen you have skilled players that can go deep, break deep and constantly threaten the D, the offensive linemen have the edge. The D has to bite on every fake, they have to account for the game breakers, and they get worn out....making the OL look dominating.

I don't give a crap how mad you people get but the Cleveland Browns have continually refused to participate in acquiring the top offensive playmakers. Baker Mayfield does not have one single playmaker capable to put a win in play each and every week. Chubb is NOT Barkley, Landry is NOT Gordon, Julio Jones or AJ Green. We don't have a tight end who can outrun Nickers and Me with our outside legs tied to each other.

Why is our cast-off material doing well on KC's OL? SIMPLE......................any big 300-pound lardazz can play OL. SKILLED offensive players make the OL. We have none and out line is constantly under attack. KC has weapons, their OL has the edge. It is as simple as that.

I said this a few weeks ago. I honestly believe Baker Mayfield is going to get seriously hurt before the season is over. I think Pluto wrote that his in his presser after the Steelers he limped and grunted when he reached down to pick up his duffle bag. This is NOT because of a poor OL. It is because the lack of skilled offensive players forces the Browns into a dink and dump offense, allows the D to overwhelm the OL by over pursuing (salivating) every play... The OL men are not the problem. Lack of offensive players IS.

Honestly, what offensive player do we have that would start for the Pats, Packers, Steelers, Saints, Rams and other top teams? Sorry man, but that's on Dorsey. I know you guys love him, I think he is Phil Sewage II. But the problem is NOT our OL talent.

10 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Isn't it funny? Once again, everything I have ever tried to teach you guys about the OL comes back and slaps you all in the face....over and over and over.....and STILL..... STILL... you can't see the forest for the trees.

Of my many battles with Hoorta, and those who call me a troll, last year, and a Hoorta thread will prove this out.............. I said to the board and Hoorta, many, many times...........

• The Browns OL talent has ALWAYS been very good
  • I was told that I was crazy for calling Cam Irving a solid OL player
  • I was likewise blasted for having the audacity to call OL ALL dime-a-dozen players who are the least talented athletes in all of pro sports.

But you guys know better. No matter what the truth is, you will attack ANYONE who dares to shake yo the Browns fan narrative that Offensive Linemen are important, valuable, hard to come by and blah blah blah blah blah..................... YET HERE YOU ARE...............posting in frustration everything I have been telling you guys all along.

Cam Erving, earning 8.4 million and doing a nice job for a team that is a hell of a lot better than the one he left.Babers, the answer to your frustration lies within my many posts. You guys, however, will just not listen. You know better. You are all experts of the game, experts on talent and experts on analytics.

I will say this to you again and blast me all you want, a year from now you will be again saying Ghoolie was right> Dude,,,,it IS an embarrassment to see so many Browns rejects doing very well for other teams. The answer you seek is simple......................The Cleveland Browns do not have a culture with which they indoctrinate players, coaches, fans, and the media.

The fact that Dorsey could have an HC and OC undergoing a constant catfight is clear evidence of this lack of discipline and culture. You don't fire a coach at 0 - 16, but decide to do it at 2-6-1? WTF is that? You can't harness Gordon, and then watch him catch 5 for 130 yards and a TD? ( WHile our guys drop passes?

Let me say this to you again. The skill players on offense make the offensive line. Always have, always will. WHen you have skilled players that can go deep, break deep and constantly threaten the D, the offensive linemen have the edge. The D has to bite on every fake, they have to account for the game breakers, and they get worn out....making the OL look dominating.

I don't give a crap how mad you people get but the Cleveland Browns have continually refused to participate in acquiring the top offensive playmakers. Baker Mayfield does not have one single playmaker capable to put a win in play each and every week. Chubb is NOT Barkley, Landry is NOT Gordon, Julio Jones or AJ Green. We don't have a tight end who can outrun Nickers and Me with our outside legs tied to each other.

Why is our cast-off material doing well on KC's OL? SIMPLE......................any big 300-pound lardazz can play OL. SKILLED offensive players make the OL. We have none and out line is constantly under attack. KC has weapons, their OL has the edge. It is as simple as that.

I said this a few weeks ago. I honestly believe Baker Mayfield is going to get seriously hurt before the season is over. I think Pluto wrote that his in his presser after the Steelers he limped and grunted when he reached down to pick up his duffle bag. This is NOT because of a poor OL. It is because the lack of skilled offensive players forces the Browns into a dink and dump offense, allows the D to overwhelm the OL by over pursuing (salivating) every play... The OL men are not the problem. Lack of offensive players IS.

Honestly, what offensive player do we have that would start for the Pats, Packers, Steelers, Saints, Rams and other top teams? Sorry man, but that's on Dorsey. I know you guys love him, I think he is Phil Sewage II. But the problem is NOT our OL talent.

Our OL talent is a problem.   Now, our OL coaching may also be a problem, but so is the talent.

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Our OL talent is a problem.   Now, our OL coaching may also be a problem, but so is the talent.

But talent is NOT the problem Gip. Every year you guys say the same schidt, bro. EVERYONE HERE, save me called Cam Erving a turnstile. And here he is playing just fine for KC. It isn't the talent level bro, it is the system.

But if what you say is true, then that is an indictment on Dorsey, is it not? This is why I see Dorsey as being another jackoff blowhard. He may indeed have some skills at drafting, but he hasn't hit any higher % than those who came before him. Plus, he has let go of a lot of players who are doing well elsewhere. It isn't the talent, man. It is Haslam, it is the lack of leadership and discipline.

22 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

But talent is NOT the problem Gip. Every year you guys say the same schidt, bro. EVERYONE HERE, save me called Cam Erving a turnstile. And here he is playing just fine for KC. It isn't the talent level bro, it is the system.

I don't know really if he is playing fine.   I think it is just a matter of that team winning...so he looks better

But if what you say is true, then that is an indictment on Dorsey, is it not?

No, because Dorsey had 9000 other things he had to try to address.....many of which he did.  When OL becomes a priority, I think Dorsey will make proper moves

This is why I see Dorsey as being another jackoff blowhard. He may indeed have some skills at drafting, but he hasn't hit any higher % than those who came before him.

Really?  You want to equate Ward and Mayfield with Gilbert and Manziel?   Or Mayfield and Chubb with  Richardson and Weeden? Or Antonio Calloway with Vince Mayle (both 4th rounders)

Plus, he has let go of a lot of players who are doing well elsewhere. It isn't the talent, man. It is Haslam, it is the lack of leadership and discipline.

Such as who?   The only one really that he let go that I am not really happy with is Nassib. Certainly you are not unhappy about letting Corey Coleman go and trading DeShone Kizer.

As far as Haslam is concerned....as owner, he is only as good as the people he hires..(and absolutely that has been a problem)

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I don't know really if he is playing fine.   I think it is just a matter of that team winning...so he looks better

But if what you say is true, then that is an indictment on Dorsey, is it not?

No, because Dorsey had 9000 other things he had to try to address.....many of which he did.  When OL becomes a priority, I think Dorsey will make proper moves

This is why I see Dorsey as being another jackoff blowhard. He may indeed have some skills at drafting, but he hasn't hit any higher % than those who came before him.

Really?  You want to equate Ward and Mayfield with Gilbert and Manziel?   Or Mayfield and Chubb with  Richardson and Weeden? Or Antonio Calloway with Vince Mayle (both 4th rounders)

Plus, he has let go of a lot of players who are doing well elsewhere. It isn't the talent, man. It is Haslam, it is the lack of leadership and discipline.

Such as who?   The only one really that he let go that I am not really happy with is Nassib. Certainly you are not unhappy about letting Corey Coleman go and trading DeShone Kizer.

As far as Haslam is concerned....as owner, he is only as good as the people he hires..(and absolutely that has been a problem)

Quoting Ghoolie ^^^^  

But lets not forget guys like Alex Mack and Phil Dawson (who's still kicking FGs BTW) got tired of the losing, and didn't want to be here. Sashi mistakenly tried to nickel and dime guys like Schwartz and a few others. Regarding Gordon- Can't remember who posted it, but it just might be- Josh pulled a Keven Durant move to get away from the losing to play on a winner. 

Sorry Ghoolie- that jackoff blowhard Dorsey essentially built those 7-1 Chiefs into the team they are today. trading up for Mahomes, and getting guys like Tyreek Hill.  PS, cut the Saquon Barkley crap- he's made as much difference to the Giants so far in the win column as future HOFer Joe Thomas made for the Browns. 

Gip I agree, there were so many holes left on the Browns post Sashi Brown, Dorsey couldn't possibly fix them all in one draft. He hit on three of his first four picks, too early to say about Corbett. Adding guys who are actually playing- and contributing- like Callaway, Avery, and Ratley. In my book, that' s a spectacular draft.  Too many guys here got playoff fever too soon after winning a couple of games. You don't go 0-16 with a ton of talent that's badly coached. Regarding Huey- that was a shotgun marriage forced on Big John (by Haslam) that had a 95%+ probability of turning out badly. Credit Dorsey for cutting the losses, getting rid of coaching crap. 

For the record, It took the Lions three seasons to go from 0-16 to the playoffs. We're already ahead of their 2-14 the season after. 

Archived