THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns vs. Oilers....errr...Texans Trivia

The Gipper

Here is some trivia concerning the Browns and their next opponent....plus some nostalgia:

1.  What is the all time head to head record between the Cleveland Browns and the Houston DumbAssTexans?

2. Which two players that have led the Texans in passing for a season were also with the Browns?

3. What RB that lead the DATs in rushing in a year also played for the Browns?

4. Which DATs  first round draft pick went to Akron Garfield HS?

5. In their history, the DATs have won 3 playoff games.  Two of these were against one team....which team?

6. After the creation of the Ravens franchise, and upon the return of the Browns franchise from 3 years of inactivity,  there were 31 teams in the NFL.  In order to even out the number, the league determined to add an expansion team to make the 32d team.  That became the team in Houston.  However, the NFL  DID consider 2 other cities for that expansion team, before picking Houston.    What were these two cities?

7. The team the Browns are about to play are disparagingly called the DumbAssTexans  (DATs)  because, apparently, the people of that state/city apparently had absolutely no imagination whatsoever in coming up with a name for their team. (***however, see the bonus question below)  In fact, these "Texans"   are the 4th pro football franchise that has carried the name "Texans" (ergo, the allegation of Dumbassery).   Name the other 3 "Texan" franchise and where...which league... and when they played.

8. What does the Texans logo depict?

9. A team from Houston has actually won a couple of Pro Football Championships.  What team and what years did that happen?

10. True or False:   a team from Houston actually lost a  professional football Championship game to a team called The Texans. 

11. There are 9 players who are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame whose careers were primarily spent with the Houston Oilers.  Name as many as you can.

12. What was the result of the very last game that the Browns played vs. the team known as The Houston Oilers.....and what were the subsequent events that occurred after that game?

Bonus:   The name Texans was not actually the first choice for the name of his team by team owner Bob McNair (who died this week).   What was?  And why was that name not chosen?

1.  What is the all time head to head record between the Cleveland Browns and the Houston DumbAssTexans?

Texans 4 Browns 2

2. Which two players that have led the Texans in passing for a season were also with the Browns?

Hoyer and Osweiler

Tate

5. In their history, the DATs have won 3 playoff games.  Two of these were against one team....which team?

Bungles

6. After the creation of the Ravens franchise, and upon the return of the Browns franchise from 3 years of inactivity,  there were 31 teams in the NFL.  In order to even out the number, the league determined to add an expansion team to make the 32d team.  That became the team in Houston.  However, the NFL  DID consider 2 other cities for that expansion team, before picking Houston.    What were these two cities?

San Antonio and Los Angeles

7. The team the Browns are about to play are disparagingly called the DumbAssTexans  (DATs)  because, apparently, the people of that state/city apparently had absolutely no imagination whatsoever in coming up with a name for their team. (***however, see the bonus question below)  In fact, these "Texans"   are the 4th pro football franchise that has carried the name "Texans" (ergo, the allegation of Dumbassery).   Name the other 3 "Texan" franchise and where...which league... and when they played.

Dallas Texans AFL

Dallas Texans NFL

Dallas Texans AAFC

Dallas Texans WFL

The head of a steer covered in state flag

9. A team from Houston has actually won a couple of Pro Football Championships.  What team and what years did that happen?

Houston Oilers AFL champs early 60's

10. True or False:   a team from Houston actually lost a  professional football Championship game to a team called The Texans. 

11. There are 9 players who are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame whose careers were primarily spent with the Houston Oilers.  Name as many as you can.

Robert Brazille, Earl Campbell, Mike Munchack, George Blanda, Warren Moon, Elvin Bethea, Bruce Matthews, Ken Houston, Curly Culp

12. What was the result of the very last game that the Browns played vs. the team known as The Houston Oilers.....and what were the subsequent events that occurred after that game?

You know that I know, but I'd rather not talk about it.

Bonus:   The name Texans was not actually the first choice for the name of his team by team owner Bob McNair (who died this week).   What was?  And why was that name not chosen?

Houston Gamblers?

2 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Texans 4 Browns 2....close, not quite

Hoyer and Osweiler  Check

Tate  Check

Bungles  Check

San Antonio and Los Angeles  Yes on LA, No on SA

Dallas Texans AFL

Dallas Texans NFL

Dallas Texans AAFC

Dallas Texans WFL

Check on the green team, No on the Red  (and we only need 3....so you go 2 of the 3)

The head of a steer covered in state flag Check

Houston Oilers AFL champs early 60's  Check

Robert Brazille, Earl Campbell, Mike Munchack, George Blanda, Warren Moon, Elvin Bethea, Bruce Matthews, Ken Houston, Curly Culp  OUtstanding...check on all.

You know that I know, but I'd rather not talk about it.  Let's see if others recall.

Houston Gamblers?  No....they did not consider the old USFL name (I think it probable that the rights to those USFL team names were not available...not sure)

23 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I wasn't sure if Kenny Houston and Elvin Bethea were in the HoF, but thought they were ... and I thought maybe the majority of Culp's career was with Chiefs ... the rest I knew for sure.

Z

12) I agree with Zombo, but I'll spew my venom because it still pisses me off...

• Oilers blasted the Browns and ART LIED, ended up in the Baltimore harbor and announced he was moving the team. Got there on Al Lerner's airplane. 
  • City of Cleveland and their fans couldn't stop it, but grassroots efforts we got our name, team, and colors back. Then a$$hle Tagliabue puts the Ratbirds in the SAME division as us when they belong in the AFC East or AFC South (aka "Carpetbagger Division"). Yeah, I know initially it was the AFC Central with Jax in it as well, I'm talking after the Texans entered and the realigned the NFL.
  • FUUUUUUUUU

Was that Larry Poole? Graduated from Kent State the year I graduated from YSU.

EXTRA bonus pick what other Ohio college player was a first round draft pick by TEX/TN? (easy one)

2 hours ago, Bob806 said:

12) I agree with Zombo, but I'll spew my venom because it still pisses me off...

• Oilers blasted the Browns and ART LIED, ended up in the Baltimore harbor and announced he was moving the team. Got there on Al Lerner's airplane. 
  • City of Cleveland and their fans couldn't stop it, but grassroots efforts we got our name, team, and colors back. Then a$$hle Tagliabue puts the Ratbirds in the SAME division as us when they belong in the AFC East or AFC South (aka "Carpetbagger Division"). Yeah, I know initially it was the AFC Central with Jax in it as well, I'm talking after the Texans entered and the realigned the NFL.
  • FUUUUUUUUU

Just a point of correction:   It WAS the City of Cleveland, and the specific performance clause in the lease with the Browns that did "stop it".  That could have stopped the Browns for moving for 3 years.  What it could not prevent was Modell being an assfucker and totally decimating the team on all fronts. The settlement that allowed Art to move, to create the Ravens, to keep the Browns franchise here also include the retention of the name, colors etc.  So, as much as we would like to think it so, the grassroots effort did nothing to accomplish all that...but the legal positioning did. 

But, otherwise, Check on your answer.

45 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

EXTRA bonus pick what other Ohio college player was a first round draft pick by TEX/TN? (easy one)

Well...since Larry Poole graduated Kent State back in the early 70s....I hardly doubt that he was drafted by the Houston Texans whose existance only began in like 2001.   Here is a hint though....the player in question was on the field for the Texans last night.

As to your question...apparently not so easy, as I don't know it off the top of my head. I suppose an Ohio State guy.

Second Chance Saloon....unanswered so far:

1.  What is the all time head to head record between the Browns and the DATs?

4. Which Texans first round draft pick attended Akron Garfield high?

6. What city, besides Houston...who got it, and Los Angeles, did the NFL consider placing an expansion team when they wanted to go from 31 to 32 teams?

7.  Four teams in professional football leagues have been give the name "Texans".  The current Houston team, plus former teams in Dallas in both the NFL and AFL.   There was one other team.    Name city and league.

Bonus:  What name for this Houston expansion team that is now the Texans, did their owner, Bob McNair, actually prefer? And why didn't they use it?

20 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well...since Larry Poole graduated Kent State back in the early 70s....I hardly doubt that he was drafted by the Houston Texans whose existance only began in like 2001.   Here is a hint though....the player in question was on the field for the Texans last night.

As to your question...apparently not so easy, as I don't know it off the top of my head. I suppose an Ohio State guy.

I believe Larry Poole was 1975 (+/- 1) the year I graduated from YSU. (some things you kinda' remember like Nick Saban also was at KSU when I was at YSU, we played them back then)

AND the draft pick from the state of Ohio was a great running back.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

I believe Larry Poole was 1975 (+/- 1) the year I graduated from YSU. (some things you kinda' remember like Nick Saban also was at KSU when I was at YSU, we played them back then)

AND the draft pick from the state of Ohio was a great running back.

Maybe you should get at least one answer right before you ask your own questions. (Or start your own thread). I don't remember the Houston Texans taking any RB  from Ohio State in the first round. The Oilers...or was did they already move to Tenn. took Eddie George.   But you said Texans.

23 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I think I said TEX/TN.

And I was trying to think about your question 4, Akron HS kid, rather narrow question. And no I don't want to start my own trivia thread.  :P

23 hours ago, The Gipper said:

5-3 Texans

6. What city, besides Houston...who got it, and Los Angeles, did the NFL consider placing an expansion team when they wanted to go from 31 to 32 teams?

Memphis

7.  Four teams in professional football leagues have been give the name "Texans".  The current Houston team, plus former teams in Dallas in both the NFL and AFL.   There was one other team.    Name city and league.

San Antonio Texans in the CFL. Late 90s I believe. 

Bonus:  What name for this Houston expansion team that is now the Texans, did their owner, Bob McNair, actually prefer? And why didn't they use it?

Something to do with the space station I’m guessing - Astros/Rockets both did it.

5-3 Texans  Close enough to give it: 6-3 actually

Memphis  NO

San Antonio Texans in the CFL. Late 90s I believe. Check

Something to do with the space station I’m guessing - Astros/Rockets both did it.  NO....not at all.

Down to 3 questions:

4.  Akron Garfield grad that was first round pick of DATs.   Hint....still there playing, contributing

6.  Besides LA....and Houston, the other city considered for the expansion to the 32d NFL team. Hint: another NFL team had regularly played some games there. (and it had been thought that perhaps that team could move there permanently)

Bonus:  What is the name that owner of DATs preferred for his team other than the one it got. 

Hint...and here is the answer to the second half of the question:   the league rejected that name because its name/potential logo could perhaps be too similar to two other current NFL teams. 

2 hours ago, Ish said:

4)Whitney Mercilus. Really enjoy your trivia Q's. You may already know that Larry Poole, Jim Lash, Steve Craig and Dave Brown all played for Garfield at the same time in the late 60's and all went on to play in the NFL.

Check.   I knew about Poole and Brown...not sure I knew of the other two.

Here is some trivia concerning the Browns and their next opponent....plus some nostalgia:

Answers

Texans lead  6-3

Brian Hoyer...and Brock Osweiler...though we know that  Osweiler never actually appeared in regular season game for the Browns.

And, another note:  Brandon Weeden is the DATs backup QB.

Ben Tate

Whitney Mercilus  (one of my nephews went to Garfield)

The Bengals

Los Angeles.....which HAD actually been awarded the franchise...but had it taken away because they could not get their shit together over a stadium.....and  Toronto!

The original Dallas Texans...played one year, 1952, in the NFL.  Then went defunct.  It was so bad apparently that they had to play their last 2 home games at the Akron Rubber Bowl.

The AFL Dallas Texans....which today are the Kansas City Chiefs

The CFL...during their "American Experiment" of the early 90s had the San Antonio Texans playing a year or two.

A steer or bull with the Texas flag colors and emblen

The Houston Oilers won the first two AFL Championships in 1960 and 1961

True.  Those Houston Oilers made it to a third consecutive AFL championship game......in 1962 where they were defeated in double OT by those Dallas Texans, referred to above

Warren Moon, Earl Campbell, Curly Culp, Elvin Bethea, George Blanda, Ken Houston, Mike Munchak, Bruce Matthews, Robert Brazile (not Bobo)

November  5, 1995, the Houston whipped the Belichick Browns  37-10.   The following day, November 6, 1995  Art Modell announced that he was going to try to move the Browns to Baltimore.   (he may not have used the word "try")

The owner wanted to call the team the Houston Stallions.   But the league discouraged McNair from doing so because they did not want another "horsey'   named team in the league, thinking that the horsey name, paraphenalia, logos etc could be confused with the Broncos and the Colts. 

Good questions in a time of the AFL-NFL merger and an old division rival of the BROWNS now of course the Texans.

15 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Good questions in a time of the AFL-NFL merger and an old division rival of the BROWNS now of course the Texans.

As far as the Browns record vs.  the Houston Oilers/Tenn. Tits.....the Browns  lead that  overall series   35-30.   They were  30-21 against them as their time as the Houston Oilers......but are 5-9 since they became the Titans.

On 11/28/2018 at 12:41 PM, mjp28 said:

I think I said TEX/TN.

And I was trying to think about your question 4, Akron HS kid, rather narrow question. And no I don't want to start my own trivia thread.  :P

Eddie George was not an Akron HS kid.  In fact, I think he was from the Philadelphia area.  

Beanie Wells, however, was....from Garfield

8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Eddie George was not an Akron HS kid.  In fact, I think he was from the Philadelphia area.  

Beanie Wells, however, was....from Garfield

That is a lot of talent from one high school and yes Eddie is actually a sharp dude from Philly and played for HOU/TEN out of OSU and running behind Ohio born road graders like Orlando Pace.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

That is a lot of talent from one high school and yes Eddie is actually a sharp dude from Philly and played for HOU/TEN out of OSU and running behind Ohio born road graders like Orlando Pace.

Garfield used to be a great high school football program but now it has fallen on hard times and I’m not Sure they won a game this past year. Plus  Garfield And Kenmore have combined now as one school. But the combination didn’t help them do any good on the football. 

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Garfield used to be a great high school football program but now it has fallen on hard times and I’m not Sure they won a game this past year. Plus  Garfield And Kenmore have combined now as one school. But the combination didn’t help them do any good on the football. 

I work with Babe Flossie's daughter-in-law, who was the longtime HC at Garfield. 

Archived