THE BROWNS BOARD

WEEK 15 - TOP 25 RANKINGS - HEISMAN TROPHY -plus- ARMY/NAVY and BOWL PREDICTIONS.

mjp28

Oh just curious how many of you will watch the ARMY/NAVY Game Saturday Dec. 8, 2018 at 3 pm on CBS?  I never miss it maybe somewhat out of respect for my dad and father-in-law or others like him or my desire (pipe dream) in high school to possibly try for Annapolis and take my 5' 10" 185 lb. frame to try out for the football team.

My dad was a WWII and Korea vet as chief electrican on the BB-62 NEW JERSEY, my in law a WWII Army master sergeant and I've always watched and followed NAVY.

A knee injury in 1966 my junior year pretty much eliminated any serious D-1A football ambitions in that realm so I just went to YSU and workdd in the mills to get through college. 

Just a few notes on the game:

A historic rivalry will renew for the 119th time when Army and Navysquare off on Saturday afternoon. The game will take place at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia and will be broadcast live on CBS at 3 p.m. ET. No. 22 Army is a seven-point favorite in the latest Army vs. Navy odds thanks to an impressive 9-2 season, while Navy has stumbled to a 3-9 record. The total is down to 40 after originally opening at 42. Even with these two programs moving in opposite directions, you can expect this to be a physical battle with plenty of ground-and-pound on offense. So before you make any Army vs. Navy picks and predictions, you'll want to see what SportsLine's advanced computer model is picking. ........

A little NAVY and college and pro football history, Roger Staubach:

After one year at New Mexico Military Institute in Roswell, Staubach entered the U.S. Naval Academy in 1961 and played quarterback for the Midshipmen. As a third-class midshipman (sophomore) in 1962, he got his first opportunity to play in the third game of the season, against the University of Minnesota on October 6. He relieved starter Ron Klemick as the Minnesota defense, led by Bobby Bell and Carl Eller, was stifling in its 21–0 victory. Staubach was 0–2 passing and was sacked twice for -24 yards.

A week later, against Cornell University, with the offense failing, Hall of Fame coach Wayne Hardin decided to put Staubach into the game to see if he could improve the team's offense. He led Navy to six touchdowns, throwing for 99 yards and two touchdowns while running for 88 yards and another score as Navy won 41–0.[6]

A few weeks later, Staubach started again in the famed Army–Navy game, which featured president John F. Kennedy (himself a former naval officer), who just 37 days earlier had negotiated the end of the Cuban Missile Crisis, performing the coin toss. Staubach led the team to a 34–14 upset over Army, throwing for two touchdowns and running for another.

In his second class (junior) season of 1963, he won the Heisman Trophy, Maxwell Award, and the Walter Camp Memorial Trophy[7] while leading the Midshipmen to a 9–1 regular season record and a final ranking of No. 2 in the nation. He appeared on the cover of Time in October; he would also have been on the cover of Life magazine's November 29, 1963 issue, but for the assassination of President Kennedy.[8][9]

On New Year's Day, the Midshipmen lost the national championship to No. 1 team the University of Texas in the 1964 Cotton Bowl. Earlier that season, Staubach led Navy to a 35–14 road victory in its annual rivalry with Notre Dame.[10] Navy did not beat Notre Dame again until 2007, 44 years later.......

On 12/6/2018 at 10:36 AM, mjp28 said:

Oh just curious how many of you will watch the ARMY/NAVY Game Saturday Dec. 8, 2018 at 3 pm on CBS?  I never miss it maybe somewhat out of respect for my dad and father-in-law or others like him or my desire (pipe dream) in high school to possibly try for Annapolis and take my 5' 10" 185 lb. frame to try out for the football team.

Anybody here going to watch it?   Bowl games start next Saturday. 

GO COLLEGE FOOTBALL, can't beat it.

22 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

If the Oklahoma quarterback wins it this year the Heisman that is in the Oklahoma quarterback won it last year then what the award is really doing is awarding the system and not the playersI. 

That's why there are many, many other awards this one just gets the most single attention.

For example:

2018 Award Winners
AWARD PLAYER SCHOOL
Chuck Bednarik Award Josh Allen Kentucky
Davey O'Brien Award Kyler Murray Oklahoma
Dick Butkus Award Devin White LSU
Doak Walker Award Jonathan Taylor Wisconsin
Fred Biletnikoff Award Jerry Jeudy Alabama
Jim Thorpe Award Deandre Baker Georgia
John Mackey Award T.J. Hockenson Iowa
Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award Gardner Minshew Washington St
Lou Groza Award Andre Szmyt Syracuse