THE BROWNS BOARD

Another feather in the cap of Mayfield

The Cysko Kid

Only kurt warner and one other qb (I believe i read it was brad johnson) have started their careers with a touchdown pass in each of their first 10 starts.

Obviously I would like him to emulate Warner more than Johnson (if my memory serves me right), however again if the other was Johnson they both won a super bowl.

My opinion, and remember I wasn't sure about Mayfield in the draft on a few points...

we finally have a qb with qb iq like Bernie Kosar. Just sees it, gets it, handles it.

2 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

He's the first browns quarterback since Bernie Kosar to record a touchdown in each of his first ten games. He's keeping some rarified company within the organization, as he's passed Otto Graham for most TDs thrown by a Browns rookie. 

What's truly sad is how long it's taken to surpass a record from what feels like the dawn of football...

But at least it's now broken.

Baker is a giant erectcock running around the field......and i mean that in the best way possible. He's an animal. First offensive play of the game he tbrows a 62 yd bomb to perriman. That was not a hail mary floater either. He planted his foot at the 18 and perriman caught it at the 20 on the other side of the field. Baker is a pair of cock and balls and i fucking love it.

He is physically the best qb the browns have ever had. Whetber he's the most successful depends on the team the FO can put around him. The kid is the real fucking deal. He's pure swinging dick out there. This is what we thought we were gonna get with johnny.

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

What's truly sad is how long it's taken to surpass a record from what feels like the dawn of football...

Not sure why you think that way. Otto Graham may have been the 🐐 (goat). any records he set should’ve taken a long long time to surpass 

6 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Baker is a giant erectcock running around the field......and i mean that in the best way possible. He's an animal. First offensive play of the game he tbrows a 62 yd bomb to perriman. That was not a hail mary floater either. He planted his foot at the 18 and perriman caught it at the 20 on the other side of the field. Baker is a pair of cock and balls and i fucking love it.

He is physically the best qb the browns have ever had. Whetber he's the most successful depends on the team the FO can put around him. The kid is the real fucking deal. He's pure swinging dick out there. This is what we thought we were gonna get with johnny.

I think your analogy needs work....😳

He has had a rating of 125 or higher in three of the past four games ... all wins.

With Hue as HC, Haley as OC and Harrison at LT he was sacked 20 times in 6 games.

With Williams as HC, Kitchen at OC and Robinson at LT he has been sacked 3 times in 5 games.

Zombo

33 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

It does but I get what he's saying. There's been ai litany of quarterbacks who have wilted under the crushing pressure of being the guy who was supposed to drag this franchise out of the garbage and put them back on the map. Baker is the one who's going to do it. Because he has the balls to. Because the pressure apparently can't crush him. When was the last time a rookie QB's spirit wasn't broken by this time?

2 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

Really? Cause i think its spot on. Dude was getting crushed for weeks while this o line figured shit out. To perservere through that and play at this level? I mean fuck i was wantin the browns to shut him diwn for the season a few weeks ago so our #6 next year wasnt a kicker/punter........im absolutely floored by this kid. 

As fun as yesterday was, last week was the telling game. Dude was gamed for one half by a good DC. Came out slinging the 2nd half. And he wasnt smiling and yucking it up on the sideline that at 1st half. 

Best qb ive seen in a browns uni in my lifetime and with not the greatest assets around him. We need to find him  a wr he can spoon with for years to come. That guy that they finish each others sentences

3 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Really? Cause i think its spot on. Dude was getting crushed for weeks while this o line figured shit out. To perservere through that and play at this level? I mean fuck i was wantin the browns to shut him diwn for the season a few weeks ago so our #6 next year wasnt a kicker/punter........im absolutely floored by this kid. 

As fun as yesterday was, last week was the telling game. Dude was gamed for one half by a good DC. Came out slinging the 2nd half. And he wasnt smiling and yucking it up on the sideline that at 1st half. 

Best qb ive seen in a browns uni in my lifetime and with not the greatest assets around him. We need to find him  a wr he can spoon with for years to come. That guy that they finish each others sentences

In particular...the line where you say..."baker is a set of cock and balls and I love it"

Not there is anything wrong with that.

15 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Only 3 quarterbacks in the modern (super bowl) era have started their career with a touchdown pass in their first 10 starts.

Baker

Kurt Warner

I believe Brad Johnson

I was referring to Otto's team record... which does not "modern era" qualify.

14 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

First, playing the Johnny card is a bridge too far. Many here, including me, thought we were gonna get what we got.

Second, "physically the best"? Certainly not the strongest arm, but considering legs as well??? I can get there-ish. Throw in mechanics and I'm very convincible.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

First, playing the Johnny card is a bridge too far. Many here, including me, thought we were gonna get what we got.

Second, "physically the best"? Certainly not the strongest arm, but considering legs as well??? I can get there-ish. Throw in mechanics and I'm very convincible.

Of course it qualifies for the modern era anything post 1920 is modern

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2018/12/gregg-williams-digs-baker-mayfields-long-ball-and-has-seen-even-longer-in-practice.html

U sure about the arm thing? That first pass of the game convinced me he's got easily the best arm we've had since 99. 62 yds on a med rope, on the money? I mean, maybe weedon tech had the arm for that but it would have landed out of bounds. But coach said in that article they've seen alot longer than 63 yds in practice

4 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2018/12/gregg-williams-digs-baker-mayfields-long-ball-and-has-seen-even-longer-in-practice.html

U sure about the arm thing? That first pass of the game convinced me he's got easily the best arm we've had since 99. 62 yds on a med rope, on the money? I mean, maybe weedon tech had the arm for that but it would have landed out of bounds. But coach said in that article they've seen alot longer than 63 yds in practice

Mayfield has the best arm in when considering arm strength AND accuracy. 

Weeden and Derek Anderson had stronger arms, but weren't accurate and possessed zero ability to put touch on the ball. 

9 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Mayfield has the best arm in when considering arm strength AND accuracy. 

Weeden and Derek Anderson had stronger arms, but weren't accurate and possessed zero ability to put touch on the ball. 

Talking about the other QBs in the 2018 class. Josh Allen has by far the strongest arm, he was tossing them 90 yards at his pro day. But last time I looked, his completion % was running around 52. The main reason I would have barfed if we had drafted him. 

Just now, hoorta said:

Talking about the other QBs in the 2018 class. Josh Allen has by far the strongest arm, he was tossing them 90 yards at his pro day. But last time I looked, his completion % was running around 52. The main reason I would have barfed if we had drafted him. 

I'm on record that I wasn't happy with the Browns taking Mayfield, and I own it. 

But I would have been absolutely irate if they would have taken Allen. 

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm on record that I wasn't happy with the Browns taking Mayfield, and I own it. 

But I would have been absolutely irate if they would have taken Allen. 

I had Darnold and Mayfield 1A and 1B on my board. Dorsey picked the right guy apparently.  :) Tour wanted Rosen, but I had concerns about those concussions.   Had to look, and Josh has a 10-12 TD\int ratio, shades of Tim Couch, he's getting pummelled to the tune of 29 sacks, and the season isn't over.  

7 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I had Darnold and Mayfield 1A and 1B on my board. Dorsey picked the right guy apparently.  :) Tour wanted Rosen, but I had concerns about those concussions.   Had to look, and Josh has a 10-12 TD\int ratio, shades of Tim Couch, he's getting pummelled to the tune of 29 sacks, and the season isn't over.  

I had Rosen and Darnold back and forth at top, with Mayfield at #3, and Allen at #68. 

No one should be shocked that Baker is doing the best in the rookie season, considering how experienced he was coming out. What is surprising is HOW good he's doing. If he was playing at this level in his third pro season, I'd be fine with it. That he's doing it now is amazing. 

I wanted the guy with the best mechanics.  But from the moment I saw Baker take his first snaps with the offense in his first preseason game I was like, "Whoa!  This guys looks like an NFL  quarterback!"  There were no deer in his headlights.  He didn't look like Kesler, or Hogan, or Kizer....or ANY of the confused looking QB's that were brought in here over the years.  Nope!   He looked like he'd been playing football all his life!

And then I tried to remind myself, "Look, Charlie Frye looked off DB's like a pro in his first NFL preseason game.  And after that he never looked a DB off again."  But the more I saw of Baker the more I thought that he might be different.  

So, I was wrong about not wanting to draft Baker for a Rosen type.  

And I compounded THAT wrong with another.  I wanted Baker to sit...perhaps all season, or most of it...to learn the NFL properly.  Ya know, instead of throwing him to the wolves before he was ready, like Manziel, Kessler, Kizer.  Little did I know that Baker WAS THE WOLVES!  And WAS ready.

When he ever trotted out into that Jets game, down by what, 2 TD's...with less than two minutes to go in the half....with NO WORK with the starters all TC and preseason...and in a New York second had spun his first two NFL passes for successive first downs to Browns receivers....I was like,  "Yeah baby!   THAT'S how you make receivers get IN the game!"  -  That Thursday night, the Browns changed from a team that looked like, once again, they weren't going to win a game for the rest of the year....to a team that looked like it 'might' win any game it plays in.

In less than two minutes Baker changed the energy of the team, the stadium, the announcers, and all of us at home who were not lucky enough to be sitting in that stadium being a part of that transition.  That energy lasted through halftime, and NEVER changed back.  When that game ended, and the losing streak was over, and it looked like we HAD our QB.....I turned the sound up to 39 on my TV!    I wanted to feel like I was there.  I wanted to be a part of that feeling.  IT FELT GREAT

The next day at work (remember, I live in New England), I had people coming up to me everywhere I went.  (we've had construction going on in the building for over a year)  Hard Hats were searching me down to give me the thumbs up through my door window.  

Obviously, we've taken some sideways steps since then.  Baker has had a couple of games that were more rookie-like in the stats sheet.  But if you watched him play those games, you never saw the deer in his headlights.  Just frustration.....but a confident frustration.

Now, with Hue & Haley jettisoned, and Williams & Kitchens in charge, the team seems to have gotten yet another jolt of confidence and improvement....as if the anchors that were holding the team back are gone.

Ya know what a Hard Hat told me today in the elevator?  He said, "Your team is fun to watch.  I've got the package so I switch between games...but I switched to your game and I couldn't switch off of it."   NOW THAT IS A SWITCH.  -  And I just remembered what a lady at work said to me today, "Now you can be proud to be a Browns fan."  I just laughed, thanked her and walked away, 'cuz hey, I'm a proud Browns fan anyway....even through these 20 years....but it did feel nice to be a Browns fan today.  :)

Sorry for being long winded....and thanks to anyone who plowed all the way through this diatribe.

7 minutes ago, Orion said:

When he ever trotted out into that Jets game, down by what, 2 TD's...with less than two minutes to go in the half....with NO WORK with the starters all TC and preseason...and in a New York second had spun his first two NFL passes for successive first downs to Browns receivers....I was like,  "Yeah baby!   THAT'S how you make receivers get IN the game!"  -  That Thursday night, the Browns changed from a team that looked like, once again, they weren't going to win a game for the rest of the year....to a team that looked like it 'might' win any game it plays in.

In less than two minutes Baker changed the energy of the team, the stadium, the announcers, and all of us at home who were not lucky enough to be sitting in that stadium being a part of that transition.  That energy lasted through halftime, and NEVER changed back.  When that game ended, and the losing streak was over, and it looked like we HAD our QB.....I turned the sound up to 39 on my TV!    I wanted to feel like I was there.  I wanted to be a part of that feeling.  IT FELT GREAT

It was even more noticeable in the stadium.  The first pass he completed downfield was thrown so hard and looked so good it kinda stunned the stadium.   Then he did it again on the next play and it was then that the energy in that stadium seriously changed.  So glad that I was lucky enough to be in the stadium that night.

9 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

..."baker is a set of cock and balls and I love it

I stored this in a folder since March 2nd.. https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/03/baker_mayfield_nfl_combine.html   not many have had the balls of "Undraftable" wanting to play in Cleveland. Some doubted his words but... Baker Mayfield never doubted his words nor his football talents...he's been a blast to watch since the jets game..    

2 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

Gipper follows his own rules that he insists are right no matter how much no one else ever uses them. 

They are not my rules they are just the rules show me where some motherfucker has declared where any “on “modern football had begun tell me where the NFL has declared that to be an official decree 

Archived