THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Browns @ Broncos Game Night Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

Thank god there was no bullshit call like landing on the qb and damaging his hymen or the "almost" helmet to helmet cause keenum ducked low at the last second. Im wondering if peppers had dipped his helmet just a bit more to compensate for keenums level change.....if we would have all been pistol whipping our tv's at that flag toss...

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

General thoughts before reading the thread...

Coaches first:

1. Gregg... I'm pulling for you, but you did not help yourself with the TO. If you are going to go on 4th and short, go in the flow. You snuffed out the result you wanted. However, once called you had time to think. I was sure you'd opt for the FG and make it a 4-pt game. Had you done so I think the end would have been a lot easier on our stomach linings.
  2. Kitchens... the above 4th and short take 2 was begging for either a read option or a naked boot. Keep that in mind.
  3. lil Williams... I hadn't even realized your emerging DC role. You've got promise, kid. Way to dial up the pressure at the end... nice design to spring Peppers free up the middle.

Offense first:

1. Maybe there was something to the altitude, air-resistance thing... saw more overthrows by Baker than I can remember in any other game to date.
  2. Love Perriman's play more with each passing week (pun unintended), but... the dude needs to learn to walk away. He got the flag for being "punched". Why it wasn't enough is beyond me.
  3. As for the rest of the team on the above... how could no one see what was developing, step in and drag his ass away before the hat flew? The "punch" should have brought teammates running. There was time to recognize and intercede.
  4. Landry... you should have been the first one to the above. If you are going to lead this WR room and stir up shit on the field... as you do... you have to enforce the discipline to "walk away".
  5. To Higgins/Callaway respectively... you're like silk/congrats on your best game. I know Callaway did not house one this week, but his route tree is growing and he made multiple tough catches.
  6. To Robinson... dude... you're huge... you're strong... you're fast. If you can get to an LB and hug him, you were in position to blast your hands into his breast plate and knock him on his ass. You owe Chubb a dinner for taking away his first breakaway run.
  7. To the OL... nice overall effort especially on the edges against their sack "stars" in PassPro, but there were several breakdowns in the middle that neutered our ground attack early and often. Gotsis is a good player, but y'all made him look like an All-Pro... like what you are supposed to be.
  8. To Devalve... you may not be a devastating blocker (yet), but you showed the interest in becoming one in your FB stints in the "I"... Keep up the work.
  9. To Baker... when you have a guy doing the dirty work Devalve did... find a way to reward them. Work on that with Kitchens this week, OK?
  10. To Njoku... just keep doing what you're doing. Way to present yourself to your scrambling QB to convert that 3rd and 13. Great effort on the late stretch for the 1st down. I don't know if you made it, but I know you got very, very close.
  11. And finally... more to Baker... just keep being yourself. And remember most of the greats, even Payton Manning, went against script keeping the ball every now and then in a clutch short-yardage situation.

Defense later...

To your points, but only some of them.

Coaches 3: You give credit to Williams Jr for blitzing at the end? I mean, it just seems like vintage Gregg Williams to me. Which granted could be an apple falling from the tree kinda thing. Or could be that his coaching style is to trust that his during the week message gets through so that on game day his coordinators do their thing? I’m inclined to think that may be the case, and that’s interesting.

O 6: I know right? There’s one play where he’s like pattycaking some guy that looks like a DB. I mean he literally looked twice the size of this guy and could have flinched him aside. That guy is missing a certain tenacity that is necessary for his job.

O 8: I did notice DeValve playing the role formerly occupied by Orson Charles. I think l saw less willingness than you though. Maybe it was play calling, like he was supposed to chip and release, but l didn’t see a true lock ‘em block like l wanna see out of a fullback.

2 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

To your points, but only some of them.

Coaches 3: You give credit to Williams Jr for blitzing at the end? I mean, it just seems like vintage Gregg Williams to me. Which granted could be an apple falling from the tree kinda thing. Or could be that his coaching style is to trust that his during the week message gets through so that on game day his coordinators do their thing? I’m inclined to think that may be the case, and that’s interesting.

O 6: I know right? There’s one play where he’s like pattycaking some guy that looks like a DB. I mean he literally looked twice the size of this guy and could have flinched him aside. That guy is missing a certain tenacity that is necessary for his job.

O 8: I did notice DeValve playing the role formerly occupied by Orson Charles. I think l saw less willingness than you though. Maybe it was play calling, like he was supposed to chip and release, but l didn’t see a true lock ‘em block like l wanna see out of a fullback.

C3: Entirely possible Gregg made the last blitz call, but have to consider that in some part it worked because it was still on the shelf at the very end.

O8: Check out the end zone replay of Chubb's long one in our last drive. He did not follow Devalve, but Devalve still blasted into an LB filling the 1 hole.

To the effect of altitude. I made comments in the Tavern more than once that mile high altitude does in fact become a factor in long passes being overthrown if you don't underthrow a little under where you think you should. Having lived in just a little lower Greeley in younger days playing pickup football, I was always surprised at what an arm I had gained and also how far out I could shoot a basketball.   LOL!🤣      It does make a difference for a strong armed QB. Mahomes threw a bullet when I saw him play in Oct. that never appear to get over 10-15 ft high, went 40 yards then bounced like a rock skipping off water for another 30. Amazing!

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

One game ever with any impact one game. You have to go search for some esoteric statTo attempt to show any production

And you're a moron that doesn't understand how players can even impact the game if it isn't a flashy stat. That's well documented. 

26 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

And you're a moron that doesn't understand how players can even impact the game if it isn't a flashy stat. That's well documented. 

You are a little kunt who only cares about one player on this team and who acts like his mediocrity has been something to crow about. He had little impact beyond this last game. 

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You are a little kunt who only cares about one player on this team and who acts like his mediocrity has been something to crow about. He had little impact beyond this last game. 

Oh nice, you're now staying two things in your post that are objectively incorrect. 

Couple more observations after watching the game again. 

1. I'm getting a little tired of our guys not getting the facemask call. It's the second week in a row where our player gets his head spun around and the ref somehow doesn't see it. This week it was Landry on about the first play of the game. 

2. I think somebody else already mentioned this at least once, but I'm also going to say that we give up WAY too many yards after the catch. Either by missed tackles or taking awful angles. It's happening way too much and it's costing us. 

3. Myles High Stadium? OK, that's a stupid pun, but the point is we need Myles Garrett to do MORE. Am I being greedy? Damn right, but I still need MORE. The perfect scenario was Keenum's rushing TD from the 1 yard line. Keenum out-runs Myles Garrett to the edge and rather easily scampers into the end zone. How does Case Keenum step on the gas and out pace our freak DE? Well, as I look at the play a few times, it seems like Myles leapt one step early. Had he taken one more step or even two, I think he would've been able to make the play. At any rate, this is the EXACT kind of play I need from my star player. 

4. He's been talked about multiple times already, but I have to bring up Breshad Perriman again. That TD catch (and what a throw) was absolutely amazing, and many fans, myself included, felt as if Perriman had even more to give, and that's turning out to be the case. I'm not sure what his ceiling is, but it's safe to say that he'll be coming back next year, assuming we can come to an agreement on a contract. My only concern with Perriman is what happens to his confidence when he finally drops a pass? Can he shrug it off and continue his solid play? I hope so. 

5. I'm going to completely make up a stat here, but it seems legit in my crazy mind, so that makes it real. The Cleveland Browns lead the universe in dropped interceptions, and more specifically, dropped pick-6's. Jamie Collins has dropped TWO pick-6's, and he likely dropped another one against Denver. Ok, so maybe we don't lead the league in these categories, but I do know we've blown many defensive scoring opportunities lately, and these are the kind of plays we need to make if we're going to keep winning. Our defense has yet to score, and that's not acceptable. We've had PLENTY of chances. 

6. Baker's red zone accuracy. Accuracy may seem like a strange thing to bring up considering Baker definitely didn't have his signature control, and let multiple passes get away from him, but he continues to throw dimes in the red zone. Remember last year with Kizer when we'd get down in scoring position and Kizer would miss wide open receivers or just throw a pick? How many times did he miss Higgins on crossers or toss an absurd fade route to a fan in the 3rd row? It was laughable. But even in a game where Baker didn't have his best stuff, he still threw a huge dime to Callaway in the end zone. Short pass, but right on the numbers in a small window. Callaway has demonstrated the ability to get a little step on his man, and Baker definitely looks for him over just about anyone, including Landry. 

One thing that stands out for me now with the D is the number of times we hurry the QB. The PFF guys think that is even more important than the sack and if you watch how many balls are sent too early or too errantly, I have to agree with them. It sets up our secondary for more opportunities. QBs have less time to evaluate the throw or they send it OOB.

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

One thing that stands out for me now with the D is the number of times we hurry the QB. The PFF guys think that is even more important than the sack and if you watch how many balls are sent too early or too errantly, I have to agree with them. It sets up our secondary for more opportunities. QBs have less time to evaluate the throw or they send it OOB.

Garrett, even if he isn't getting the sack, is hurrying the QB a lot. It makes a huge difference even if it's not on the stat sheet (tho hurries probably should be)

7 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

4. He's been talked about multiple times already, but I have to bring up Breshad Perriman again. That TD catch (and what a throw) was absolutely amazing, and many fans, myself included, felt as if Perriman had even more to give, and that's turning out to be the case. I'm not sure what his ceiling is, but it's safe to say that he'll be coming back next year, assuming we can come to an agreement on a contract. My only concern with Perriman is what happens to his confidence when he finally drops a pass? Can he shrug it off and continue his solid play? I hope so. 

I think this is the second time l’ve read some perceived concern you have over Perriman dropping a pass and hurting his confidence. You don’t get to the NFL without being able to convincingly bounce back from stuff like that. 

I sense that fear of failure isn’t even allowed in the locker room under Williams and Mayfield. 

I feel like we have front row seats to the formative beginnings of the legend of Mayfield, and all the fun that entails. Oddly l watched the Pgh NE game and felt like l saw the decline of the legend of Brady. New days, new sensations, new expectations.

In short, get outta here with the worry wort shit.

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Definitely helped in that one pick Carrie got. 

Browns brothers & sisters, Gumby will be out a while for the funeral services of the greatest Navy Hero & Browns fan I knew..My Father, Papa Tom. Papa Tom was a 20 year Browns season ticket holder up to the day we carried our seats out of the Muni. Dad passed peacefully in his sleep this morning. He was 88, suffering with a heart condition. I post this here in the Broncos thread, cus that is where my Dad would have posted it. Am thankful we both sat at many Browns games in his time. Man,what great times.' When we talked Browns, 'The Drive' was the one game from the past, that we spoke the 2nd most about.1st was always Jim Brown. As always, I spoke to dad yesterday after the Browns game Saturday and sure enough, Dad & his 2 brothers Jim & Jack enjoyed the great win together after all these years from the drive. Dad spoke highly of Nick Chubb. His jersey was his last gift to me.. We wish each and every Browns Board Member a very Merry Christmas to you & your family members.Hug them close or ya just might miss it one day, like myself this morning. And get that Bengals win this week..Get won for Papa Tom!! Dad I love you🙏 and will miss all the great times... post at ya ravens week           

43 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Browns brothers & sisters, Gumby will be out a while for the funeral services of the greatest Navy Hero & Browns fan I knew..My Father, Papa Tom. Papa Tom was a 20 year Browns season ticket holder up to the day we carried our seats out of the Muni. Dad passed peacefully in his sleep this morning. He was 88, suffering with a heart condition. I post this here in the Broncos thread, cus that is where my Dad would have posted it. Am thankful we both sat at many Browns games in his time. Man,what great times.' When we talked Browns, 'The Drive' was the one game from the past, that we spoke the 2nd most about.1st was always Jim Brown. As always, I spoke to dad yesterday after the Browns game Saturday and sure enough, Dad & his 2 brothers Jim & Jack enjoyed the great win together after all these years from the drive. Dad spoke highly of Nick Chubb. His jersey was his last gift to me.. We wish each and every Browns Board Member a very Merry Christmas to you & your family members.Hug them close or ya just might miss it one day, like myself this morning. And get that Bengals win this week..Get won for Papa Tom!! Dad I love you🙏 and will miss all the great times... post at ya ravens week           

Man gumby, condolances. Heavy, understood. Browns fandom goes hand in hand with family for me too. Salud

On 12/16/2018 at 9:22 PM, Tour2ma said:

Gipper's trying to fill the void left by the new, improved Ghoolie...

I almost deleted a couple of Gipper's posts, the name calling against Woody was unwarranted.  

10 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I almost deleted a couple of Gipper's posts, the name calling against Woody was unwarranted.  

Possibly. Of course it was done to make a point that not all of us are completely overly obsessed with one single player on this team. Maybe I will start several Charlie fry obsessed threads.

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Possibly. Of course it was done to make a point that not all of us are completely overly obsessed with one single player on this team. Maybe I will start several Charlie fry obsessed threads.

Woody went to UM- he's allowed to love Peppers, even to a fault. We weren't calling Po nasty names when he was obsessing on Saquon or Hogan...  

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Woody went to UM- he's allowed to love Peppers, even to a fault. We weren't calling Po nasty names when he was obsessing on Saquon or Hogan...  

Oh come on now, Po was much worse. 

If I was in here calling Pep the next Ed Reed AND Polamolu combined then maybe I'd be at his level hahaha

Be happy we didn't draft Saquan, lol

13 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Sorry to hear that Gumby, my dad (who's responsible for making me a Browns fan) passed earlier this year as well.

You have my condolences.

Archived