THE BROWNS BOARD

Mike McCarthy Approached

darren15

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

When is the last time you liked our STs? ;)

First, it's Dave Toub.... I mentioned him a while ago as one prospect Dorsey knows first hand.

Wouldn't be the first guy to rise to HC from the ST Coord role in the NFL. Most do have other coaching experience at the collegiate level. BLT's John Harbaugh is the lone example among active HCs plus...

As for keeping Freddy beyond 2019 should our O flourish... tough to do. Asst HC tags won't help unless he's promised the full promotion in the near term... and that requires a willing transitional HC be hired now.

Someone will see through his "bumpkin" facade (probably a southern team) ala the Oilers once upon a time with Bum Phillips.

One way to keep Freddy past 2019 if our offense flourishes again while giving him the associate head coach tag would be to hire Bruce Arians as the head coach. they've obviously worked together before in Arizona with kitchens as the quarterback coach for Carson Palmer and Bruce maybe only has two to three years left of head coaching. That would let Freddy know that there is an end in sight for the current head coach, give him some comfortability/ familiarity with the head coach, and gives him some time to get seasoned and experience. This is the best way I see if they really want to keep kitchens past 2019 but don't want to make him a head coach this coming year. However it remains to be seen if Arians is a willing transitional head coach like you said. Even then you would still have to Pony up to keep kitchens in my mind

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as Freddie goes.....he likes it here. Seriously, if you listen to and read his words, he’s a happy camper and likes the situation he’s in. He does have thoughts of becoming a HC too but that’s the future. He’s not going anywhere for at least another year and nothing says keeping him here will be hard. 

10 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

One way to keep Freddy past 2019 if our offense flourishes again while giving him the associate head coach tag would be to hire Bruce Arians as the head coach.

Been mentioned here before... and less than fully embraced.

One twist might be to make Freddy the HC and hire Bruce as a "Bench Coach" as most MLB clubs now have.

Arians could mentor a season or two with minimal pressure on his health and later move to the FO in an advisory role.

Possible? Maybe, but other teams are going to be looking at Bruce for their HC slot.

2 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

As far as Freddie goes.....he likes it here. Seriously, if you listen to and read his words, he’s a happy camper and likes the situation he’s in. He does have thoughts of becoming a HC too but that’s the future. He’s not going anywhere for at least another year and nothing says keeping him here will be hard. 

Links?

5 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

One twist might be to make Freddy the HC and hire Bruce as a "Bench Coach" as most MLB clubs now have.

Arians could mentor a season or two with minimal pressure on his health and later move to the FO in an advisory role.

Possible? Maybe, but other teams are going to be looking at Bruce for their HC slot.

Other teams might be looking at Arians but if you believed him when he was doing broadcast and such he stated he would only come back for the Cleveland Browns. But he said he would only come back to be the head coach of the Cleveland Browns I don't know if you would be willing to do the equivalent of a bench coach to the MLB. But that is a great idea if he would be willing.

From NFL.com

In an interview with NFL.com, Arians was asked about his coaching future and if a return to the sidelines was possible.

"I would listen to the Browns," Arians said. "And only them.

He cited the atmosphere in Cleveland when you have playoff-caliber football as one of the main reasons.

6 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I base that on half a seasons worth of listening local. I’ve seen interviews on tv where’s he’s having fun playing football with Baker. All the grumbling in Berea went south in Oct. 

OK.... for clarity I wasn't questioning your word, just wanted to listen to Kitch a bit.... thanks.

9 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Other teams might be looking at Arians but if you believed him when he was doing broadcast and such he stated he would only come back for the Cleveland Browns. But he said he would only come back to be the head coach of the Cleveland Browns I don't know if you would be willing to do the equivalent of a bench coach to the MLB. But that is a great idea if he would be willing.

From NFL.com

In an interview with NFL.com, Arians was asked about his coaching future and if a return to the sidelines was possible.

"I would listen to the Browns," Arians said. "And only them.

He cited the atmosphere in Cleveland when you have playoff-caliber football as one of the main reasons.

I did not know he was that "locked in".

Seems he could still experience what he wants in a bench coach style role.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

OK.... for clarity I wasn't questioning your word, just wanted to listen to Kitch a bit.... thanks.

I did not know he was that "locked in".

Seems he could still experience what he wants in a bench coach style role.

It’s really been a variety of different reports, interviews etc.  The guy is always happy. I know some was on STOs Redzone show. Cleveland.com is good too. Obr too. Him and Baker have hit it off well and seem to have some good chemistry going. I doubt it will be hard at all to keep him

17 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

It’s really been a variety of different reports, interviews etc.  The guy is always happy. I know some was on STOs Redzone show. Cleveland.com is good too. Obr too. Him and Baker have hit it off well and seem to have some good chemistry going. I doubt it will be hard at all to keep him

"Happy" is my general takeaway from the little I've heard/read. And that's fine as long as it doesn't extend to a need to be "liked". The last "happy HC" we had was Romeo and we know he had decision issues and a soft center.

What's your take on Kitch's "spine"? Does he have the stuff to be the disciplinarian that HCs sometimes have to be? Is he capable of making tough decisions?

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

"Happy" is my general takeaway from the little I've heard/read. And that's fine as long as it doesn't extend to a need to be "liked". The last "happy HC" we had was Romeo and we know he had decision issues and a soft center.

What's your take on Kitch's "spine"? Does he have the stuff to be the disciplinarian that HCs sometimes have to be? Is he capable of making tough decisions?

To me he’s a football kind of guy. Old school. He’s good because he lets himself have fun with the game. Plus he’s clicked with Mayfield. Great communication between those two. And to the point of annoying some with a fine. He’s going to be here next season for sure. 

21 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I haven't seen Bruce Arians on too many lists recently oh, there must be a reason for that. Either Dorsey doesn't want him or it's a Smokescreen.

Keep in mind that if the Browns run roughshod over the AFC North next season Freddy might start thinking like McDaniels. Not wanting to jump off a ship that's not sinking. 

WSS

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Keep in mind that if the Browns run roughshod over the AFC North next season Freddy might start thinking like McDaniels. Not wanting to jump off a ship that's not sinking. 

Point taken... but depending upon who the new HC is... and more specifically how old he is... it could be hard to remain an HC in waiting.

Truely hope he realizes that this situation does not come along often...second year phenom QB with a young talented roster. There's a legitimate shot at a superb owl in this 4 year window, where the browns can load up on talent and make a run. 

I get the money and ego things...and yes, those are factors. But hardware speaks loudest in the league, and he could command an offense set to break records on the way to the most elusive prize for the browns ... A Lombardi trophy. 

If Freddie does like it here, he's not going to just jump ship at the first opportunity to make more money in a job he necessarily won't enjoy as much.  The rookie fqb senario is rare, and I hope he's smart enough to this opportunity before him.

41 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Point taken... but depending upon who the new HC is... and more specifically how old he is... it could be hard to remain an HC in waiting.

No Doubt. And there's always going to be that choice of being a servant in heaven or a prince in hell. 

That's why I think Bruce Arians would be a good choice if they have to make a change.

AFC Championship 2019 Super Bowl 2020 he can retire then.

😀

WSS

Archived