THE BROWNS BOARD

Haskins Declares

The Gipper

Just now, The Gipper said:

I don’t care if you comment on an Ohio State player. But if you were going to say that you’re not going to comment on Ohio State player and then comment on him then that makes you a liar. 

You 100% care. If I say anything about OSU I get the "Gip quoted you" message shortly after. Every time

I wasn't going to anymore in this thread. Then I was met with your normal Gip self in a reply. So now I commented. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, MLD Woody said:

You 100% care. If I say anything about OSU I get the "Gip quoted you" message shortly after. Every time

I wasn't going to anymore in this thread. Then I was met with your normal Gip self in a reply. So now I commented. 

Fair enough. The more you comment the more you make a fool of yourself so be it. 

The funny thing is, the question being asked about which coach has had the most Pro QB who could actually play (compared to competition).

I have an answer. And it is the one who has been getting CRUSHED as being such a terrible hire and not worthy. How about Kliff Kingsbury. Case Keenum, Baker Mayfield, Patrick Mahomes. 2 guys in past 2 years in AFC championship games and a good chance of ROY.

4 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

The funny thing is, the question being asked about which coach has had the most Pro QB who could actually play (compared to competition).

I have an answer. And it is the one who has been getting CRUSHED as being such a terrible hire and not worthy. How about Kliff Kingsbury. Case Keenum, Baker Mayfield, Patrick Mahomes. 2 guys in past 2 years in AFC championship games and a good chance of ROY.

Good point and in the back my mind I was thinking there was actually someone else besides the ones you mentioned. 

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Good point and in the back my mind I was thinking there was actually someone else besides the ones you mentioned. 

Manziel.

The point is, nobody would say Kingsbury was the best coach in college. That would go to the Urban, Saban, Dabo crowd. Its almost as if these college coaches recruit what will help THEM and their team, not the best pro players lol

But since to some (wont mention names), its ALL about having the best PRO QB in college and developing them into such, then looks like all those people talking about how terrible Kingsbury is dont know anything. Since he has coached those guys and those guys have had success, then KK is Lombardi, Parcells, Walsh, Belichick, and McVay all rolled into 1.

13 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

Baker walked on to Kingsbury's team, won games, then got injured. 

Kingsbury then chose not to give him a scholarship, so Baker transferred to OU.

Kinda hard to give him credit for Baker

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Again, that is not really the question.  The question is:  did he coach him?  Did he help develop him? 

I doubt that Howard Schellenberger was solely responsible for the development of Jim Kelly, Bernie Kosar, and Vinny Testaverde....but he did have a hand in it with all of them.

And on this subject, I guess we cannot overlook another guy who coached 3 HOF QBs while they were in college:

Bear Bryant.    He had Starr...I believe (or did he) and he definitely had Namath and Stabler.  (Richard Todd was decent..but was he under Bryant?

And we should mention  LaVelle Edwards of BYU......Steve Young, Marc Wilson (a decent NFL QB in his day),   Jim McMahon  (plus a couple of other lesser lights...like Ty Detmer, Robbi Bosco)

What about Don James?  HC of the Washington Huskies.  Not sure if he was coach there, but you had Warren Moon and Mark Brunell...and Chris Chandler?

Also...refresh my memory.....But did Joe Montana and Joe Theisman have the same HC at ND?  Or did one play for Parseghian and the other for Devine?  The other top ND prospect is Daryl Lamonica.  Pretty sure he was Parsghian.   So Parseghian had at least two quality NFL QBs...if not 3. 

IF you are going to credit Pete Carroll at USC, it would be for  Palmer and Matt Cassell....who had a decent career as a backup....or even Sanchez...but not for Leinert.

Anyone else?

10 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Well that is true, and it could also be used to go that maybe Kingsbury didn't have anything to do with any of them, just happened to get lucky. Which almost shows that it has MORE to do with individual players.

But that was way past my point anyway. My point was that 99.9% of America has said how terrible Kingsbury hire is, he had a losing record at TT, etc. Well if it is JUST about coaching a college QB who had success, then he is the best hire in a long time. 

Hatred for certain coaches is fueling this debate. Saying Urban, Saban, etc, well they aren't in the business of recruiting what will be the best pro prospect, they are in the business of recruiting the best player for them in college. So while JT Barrett, Cardale Jones, Braxton Miller, Jalen Hurts, etc may not be pro QBs, they certainly worked in college.

But I digress, let's use an example how silly it is to say that JUST because Haskins played at Ohio State and was coached by Urban he wont make it in pros.

T.C Ostrander, Tavita Pritchard, Alex Loukas, ANDREW LUCK, Jake Rudock, Wilton Speight, John O'Korn, Shane Morris, Brandon Peters, Shea Patterson, Dylan McCaffrey, Joe Milton.

All those QBs played under Jim Harbaugh. Did he only know how to coach QB for 2 years with Andrew Luck? Or maybe, just maybe it has something to do with the player. That coming from one of these "QB whisperers", while that isnt spoken about Meyer.

That is obviously only 1 example

Archived