THE BROWNS BOARD

Dee and Jimmy Haslam and Pete Edwards new owners of the Columbus Crew

dawg2fan

I am not a Soccer fan at all, but I did notice this today.  I know most of you don't like the guy, but he needs a chance to show what he can do.  I do believe the Browns will be a contender in the division sooner than later, thanks to John Dorsey and Jimmy Haslem. 

This is somewhat old news....a couple of months. 

If you recall....Warren Buffet bought out Pilot/Flying J.......so Jimmah had piles of cash that he didn't know what to do with....so this was one of his solutions. 

The Columbus Crew WAS scheduled to move to Austin....but apparently he has saved it.....MAYBE.    We don't know if he may decide to move them elsewhere.     I was thinking originally that maybe he would want to move them to like Nashville...since he is  a Tennessee guy....but....the MLS is already scheduled to put an expansion team in Nashville starting in 2020.  So he will probably just try to make a go of it in Columbus....although...the MLS also just expanded to Cincinnati.  (which to me did not make sense since they already had a team 100 miles away in Columbus).   Maybe, in fact, Jimmy will get the notion to move them to Cleveland?    He did put a lot of money into improvements to Browns stadium .   But, I know that the MLS really wants soccer specific stadiums for their teams (even though they do play in Gillette Stad. and Yankee stadium...and in Century Link (home of Seahawks...and in BC stadium, Vancouver...a football stadium).

Cincinati's MLS team is going to play in Nippert stadium...and old college football field.  It would have to be renovated...or they would have to likely move into Paul Brown stadium or something.  

Brings up a question that I actually asked myself just last night while I was TV channel surfing:    I kind of think that I would like to be an NHL hockey fan.....

But....I have no real team to root for.  I just can't get myself excited about rooting for a team from Columbus,  like the Blue Jackets (or the MLS crew).

If there were a team in Cleveland, I would be all for them.  And certainly I am big on the Buckeyes who are in Columbus....so why is it if I can be excited about the Columbus Buckeyes can I not be excited about the Columbus pro teams...in leagues where there are no Cleveland teams?  Is it just the 120 miles? Is it that I think that Columbus is a big overgrown cowtown....which got bigger only because it is the site of State government?  Is it because they are THE Ohio State Buckeyes..and not the Columbus State Buckeyes? 

44 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

This is somewhat old news....a couple of months. 

If you recall....Warren Buffet bought out Pilot/Flying J.......so Jimmah had piles of cash that he didn't know what to do with....so this was one of his solutions. 

The Columbus Crew WAS scheduled to move to Austin....but apparently he has saved it.....MAYBE.    We don't know if he may decide to move them elsewhere.     I was thinking originally that maybe he would want to move them to like Nashville...since he is  a Tennessee guy....but....the MLS is already scheduled to put an expansion team in Nashville starting in 2020.  So he will probably just try to make a go of it in Columbus....although...the MLS also just expanded to Cincinnati.  (which to me did not make sense since they already had a team 100 miles away in Columbus).   Maybe, in fact, Jimmy will get the notion to move them to Cleveland?    He did put a lot of money into improvements to Browns stadium .   But, I know that the MLS really wants soccer specific stadiums for their teams (even though they do play in Gillette Stad. and Yankee stadium...and in Century Link (home of Seahawks...and in BC stadium, Vancouver...a football stadium).

Cincinati's MLS team is going to play in Nippert stadium...and old college football field.  It would have to be renovated...or they would have to likely move into Paul Brown stadium or something.  

The word is the Crew needs bigger digs than Mapfre Stadium, supposedly Columbus is working on it....  Downtown near the Blue Jackets arena?  

PS I'll move this over to the Barber Shop.  

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

The word is the Crew needs bigger digs than Mapfre Stadium, supposedly Columbus is working on it....  Downtown near the Blue Jackets arena?  

PS I'll move this over to the Barber Shop.  

Why? They were not drawing all that well...were they?  Isn't that why the previous owner wanted to move to Austin?

First Energy Stad. would do nicely.

Oh sort  of backhanded when I heard the reason they haven't announced Kitchens as HC was (maybe) because Haslam was down in Columbus playing with his new toy... and indeed, the Crew are getting new digs... https://myfox28columbus.com/news/local/ohio-house-approves-15-million-for-new-crew-stadium

10 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Oh sort  of backhanded when I heard the reason they haven't announced Kitchens as HC was (maybe) because Haslam was down in Columbus playing with his new toy... and indeed, the Crew are getting new digs... https://myfox28columbus.com/news/local/ohio-house-approves-15-million-for-new-crew-stadium

So, now that Cincinnati is getting an MLS team....which one would you root for?   (or...to put it this way....who would the general Dayton population root for?)

17 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

So, now that Cincinnati is getting an MLS team....which one would you root for?   (or...to put it this way....who would the general Dayton population root for?)

I can't speak for the general population, but for me it will always be The Crew. Same reasoning a lot of Dayton Browns fans never converted to the Johnny Come Lately Bengals... :)  

• 3 weeks later...

My son told me last night that the Haslems were getting the team to Austin and showed me the new stadium plans. He loves soccer and will likely attend a lot of games.  So who is Anthony Precourt and how do the Haslems fit in with all this? This is from last August.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/live-austin-city-council-decides-future-of-mls-stadium/1372523233

15 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My son told me last night that the Haslems were getting the team to Austin and showed me the new stadium plans. He loves soccer and will likely attend a lot of games.  So who is Anthony Precourt and how do the Haslems fit in with all this? This is from last August.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/live-austin-city-council-decides-future-of-mls-stadium/1372523233

Not true.  The previous owners were threatening to take the team to Austin.  Haslam bought it instead with the intention of keeping the team in Columbus.    In fact, I believe, the MLS has approved an expansion team for Austin:

https://mlsmultiplex.com/2019/01/03/mls-austin-fc-expansion-columbus-crew-protection/

21 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Not true.  The previous owners were threatening to take the team to Austin.  Haslam bought it instead with the intention of keeping the team in Columbus.    In fact, I believe, the MLS has approved an expansion team for Austin:

https://mlsmultiplex.com/2019/01/03/mls-austin-fc-expansion-columbus-crew-protection/

So Precourt was the crew owner, sold it and is now approved for an Austin expansion team. Is that how it worked? Stadium plan looks nice. I'm sure all our emergency immigrants will attend in mass.😜

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

So Precourt was the crew owner, sold it and is now approved for an Austin expansion team. Is that how it worked? Stadium plan looks nice. I'm sure all our emergency immigrants will attend in mass.😜

I don’t know about are the owners of the new awesome team will be maybe they are the current owners of the Columbus teen whatever Columbus team stays. But Cincinnati also gets a team

Archived