THE BROWNS BOARD

My candidate for President 2020

DieHardBrownsFan

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

I listened to him on Joe Rogan's podcast. It isn't as crazy as it sounds. 

If that’s what I have to go on. Then NO.  I vote no

39 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I'm not saying I completely agree, I'm just saying I get where it's coming from. Especially when you fast forward to a future with significantly more automation

That is a valid point that is too often overlooked. It also means we have even less need of hordes of uneducated undocumented workers coming to eat from the government trough.

There has to be a point where a larger percentage of Americans with nothing to do is going to be detrimental do whatever we call Society.

WSS

You'll only need the people that are the most talented in fine arts or the best at playing sports

And then you'll need those smart enough to keep the automation running and improve it. But with a much smaller overall demand, only the very best will actually get positions. And they'd have to be paid greatly

ALL HAIL OUR NERD OVERLORDS! 

4 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

You'll only need the people that are the most talented in fine arts or the best at playing sports

that's a good point but keep in mind the automation involved in the recording industry right now can make untalented singers sound oh, if not great, at least passable. And look over the years the best vocalists aren't always the most successful. Sure in many cases they are but there have been a lot of fabian's out there, good-looking guys or girls that are mediocre singers. I'd imagine the Performing Arts and sports will be safe for at least a little while.

And then you'll need those smart enough to keep the automation running and improve it. But with a much smaller overall demand, only the very best will actually get positions. And they'd have to be paid greatly

correct and we won't need all that many of them. Just wait till they perfect the machines to pick grapes.

ALL HAIL OUR NERD OVERLORDS! 

learn to speak Indian. 🤠

well, the idea that automation would replace most of our human workforce, in time for that nutjob to be around to pay everybody 12 grand is silly.

Philosophically, I know I have written a few computer programs that workers feared would replace them. But, someone has to monitor the programs. The idea that a programmed robot can be completely self-sufficient seems Star Wars move it me. Let's put it this way - once, I wrote a simulated AI program, that processed gigantic databases. A lot of workers went through hell to upgrade the gigantic databases with the newer version of the gigantic database. I was hired to write a program that replaced the exhausted fraught-with-errors workers, and would automatically upgrade the databases with no human interaction.

Well, I explained that that was  not going to be a valid conclusion, since there were always going to be anomalies in the data for humans to reason out. Simplistic example - to program a computer to accrue and verify a home address street name, you have to account for "St.", "St", "st". If someone makes the error of calling a street address with "Ave." or "Blvd" or "drive", but the obvious intent is that address with "street", since a duplicate street address is the corporate drive, not where a house would be...It gets complicated to simulate anomaly resolution without human reasoning. 

So, my program collected impossible to resolve anomalies into a separate database, where a person could go over them.

Instead of taking weeks of stress and firings of workers who couldn't process them fast enough, the same amount of workers could have most of the work accomplished in about two minutes. But the anomalies were far too many to ignore. So, workers loved the program when it was done. Update databases easily came again quickly.

As far as manufacturing robotics, seems to me, even in the future, human QC is still necessary. machinery eventually wears out.

A simple wear of a critical part - even only as much as nine thousands of an inch (roughly three times the thickness of a human hair, on a high precision part, in a engine, or mechanical heart valve, whatever, would be completely destructive.

So, in conclusion, we human beings are imperfect. The idea of robots as teachers seems cool, but humans learn in different ways, by doing, listening, or writing, and God help a special needs student who has a robot for a teacher, right?

From my limited perspective, robots can help mankind, until they become a threat to mankind. Does anyone believe that line would never be crossed?

Archived