THE BROWNS BOARD

Team USA makes it to Confederations cup finals

BrownIndian

It is a good game and way more exciting than what u presume it to be .... it depends a lot on the quality of the league you are watching

Nah, I'm fairly certain soccer sucks balls.

God, I loath soccer. Colbert said it's a sport for American fourth graders that foreigners seem to take seriously.

Some of my worst Saturday mornings were taken over by this monotonous sport and shrill, over-caffeinated soccer moms.

I think Hell looks like soccer.

That about sums up my feelings as well.

I like soccer.... than again i was born somewhere else where soccer is very popular. I think Americans are used to watching human freaks of nature that are extraordinary in more dynamic/immediate action orientated sports. It is very hard to take a populace like that and well show them how exciting say

Chess is....

I am not comparing soccer to chess but to the average american audience used to watching very large people moving at extreme speeds doing insane things with their bodies..... it is well chess like in comparison to the action.

I like soccer.... than again i was born somewhere else where soccer is very popular. I think Americans are used to watching human freaks of nature that are extraordinary in more dynamic/immediate action orientated sports. It is very hard to take a populace like that and well show them how exciting say

Chess is....

I am not comparing soccer to chess but to the average american audience used to watching very large people moving at extreme speeds doing insane things with their bodies..... it is well chess like in comparison to the action.

Soccer is ABSOLUTELY similar to chess, sev. A totally fair comparison.

It's also very much like hockey (albeit bigger playing area and much less frenetic) and a lot like what basketball used to be (when they knew how to shoot, play defense and the ratio between the average player's size and the rim was much greater).

Anyway, thanks for posting this, BrownIndian. This is a HUGE win by the US and it deserves to be celebrated.

Like it or not, soccer is the world's sport and as an American, I don't like being second-rate in anything. I don't see why we shouldn't have a world class team and compete with the big boys.

And I HATE the anti-soccer arguments from most Americans because they either follow shep's line of argument that "it's a kids' game" or something like "it's boring so we don't care."

Either argument smacks of the American self-centered-ness and arrogance that much of the world dislikes about us. Including me.

Either argument smacks of the American self-centered-ness and arrogance

My argument against soccer has no tinge of "American self-centered-ness and arrogance" whatsoever. It has everything to do with the sport both being a kids game and sucking. How can I say this for certain? Because, first off, I'm probably one of the least nationalistic people around. On my most radical of days, I hate the fact that countries even have borders/exist, so telling me I hate soccer because we're not the BEST in the WORLD at it is laughable. I couldn't care less about how we perform in the Olympics or any other country-vs.-country sporting event (Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, and of course World Cup). In fact, I want us to suck so badly at soccer on the national stage that we disband our soccer programs. And it is, at its "basic" form, is a kids game. It requires no organization, but just a bunch of 5 year olds, a field, two goals and one medium-sized ball. Go get 'em! I played soccer as a kid, like everyone else. Heck, my dad coached our rec league team for a couple of years and I STILL hated it, and it wasn't like I hated sports at the time because I played Little League Baseball and tennis. It's because soccer sucks.

I love ya, sev, but the "to the average american audience used to watching very large people moving at extreme speeds doing insane things with their bodies" argument you make as to why we find soccer mundane holds no water. Why you may ask? For a few reasons. First, because I'm constantly told how guys like David Beckham and Ronaldo/Ronaldhino/Ronaldwhatever are some of the Greatest Athletes in the World. The "doing insane things with their bodies" argument dies right there, unless of course I'm being lied to about these folks' athletic prowess. Either way, I'm right about soccer here. Second, are basketball and American football not popular in Europe/around the world? I'd wager basketball is more popular in China than soccer is. So any argument that says the enjoyment of soccer requires a European/African/Asian/South American mentality is bogus. It's just that they hadn't been exposed to the NFL and NBA as long as we have. They're obviously coming around, wouldn't you say?

And the chess comparison doesn't work for me, either. Soccer is far less cerebral (unless I just "don't get it," which I've been told and subsequently wanted to punch said person in the face) and has less action than chess. Or checkers. Or poker. Or Strongman Competitions. Or lumberjack sports. Good thing they don't put chess on TV......................

It was an awesome win. I scared the hell out of my baby when we scored the second one. I couldn't believe it. I was just hoping to not get embarrassed.

As for the game itself, I've never understood why it gets such a reaction out of people, especially when often these are the same people who would sit in front of a TV and watch golf for three hours. Personally, I'd rather watch an EPL game than a NBA, NHL, or most MLB games. Which isn't to say I don't like basketball, or hockey, or baseball. I love them all. I just don't find any of them as exciting or interesting as top-level soccer.

I also don't care to argue for it with people who don't like watching it. If you don't like watchng it, fine with me. Though I can't imagine any real sports fan attending a Chelsea-Liverpool game, or a World Cup match, and not walking away with one of their favorite sports experiences under their belt. In terms of passion, the only thing that comes close in this country is SEC football.

I think football is my favorite spectator sport, and soccer would be a close second. For different reasons. (One is the greatest mix of brute toughness, skill, and athleticism on the planet; the other requires the most on-field and real-time creativity, and requires an immense amount of skill and endurance, and inspires more passion than any other sport on the planet.) And I don't think there's any sporting event that can compare to the World Cup.

All that said, I have a tough time believing that we'll be able to stay with the Brazilians, especially without Michael Bradley. (What a bullshit call.) But I'll be headed down to the local Irish pub to watch for sure.

Loved the British broadcaster's reactions to the goals here and here.

BTW, Shep - when Colbert says that he's playing a right-wing blowhard. As I'm sure you know.

And the chess comparison doesn't work for me, either. Soccer is far less cerebral (unless I just "don't get it," which I've been told and subsequently wanted to punch said person in the face) and has less action than chess.

Yeah, mz the pussy, you're pretty wrong there. You're going to have to punch me too.

Think of a game with no "plays" (other than set pieces) and nothing being radioed in from the sidelines, and one that doesn't stop. It's unlike football and basketball in that sense. Baseball is probably the most cerebral game we have here, but much of those choices lie with the manager - who pitches against who? when do you bring in the lefty? should we pinch hit here if it means not having that guy's defense in the event the game goes into extra innings?

Soccer doesn't have any of that. It's 11 guys on a field trying to break down the other 11 guys. No one gets to go over and sit on the bench and look at photos of the defense taken from the endzone cameras. No one turns to the coach so he can tell you what to do with hand signals. You have to create your opportunities in real time, both individually, and in concert with your teammates, always gauging what the defense is doing, what their formation is, etc.

Hence, "The beautiful game."

Oddly enough, soccer seems to comport more with how Americans are and they work (individual and team effort, creative, less top-down, more entrepreneurial) than the rest of the world, while the sports we enjoy are very coach-heavy and structured - you run this route, you pull and block this guy, on this play you set a pick at the top of the key, etc.

Doesn't necessarily make them better or worse, or more or less exciting, but the differences are often aspects to enjoy - what makes soccer great is different from what makes baseball great, which is different from what makes football great.

God, I loath soccer. Colbert said it's a sport for American fourth graders that foreigners seem to take seriously.

Some of my worst Saturday mornings were taken over by this monotonous sport and shrill, over-caffeinated soccer moms.

I think Hell looks like soccer.

I used to feel the same way, Shep.

Then I went to see a few UCONN games - UCONN generally ranks in the Top 5 nationally - and came away impressed with the athleticism (sp) and the physical nature of the sport.

I will not pretend to claim that soccer is a game suited to TV but, not unlike hockey, it is much better to watch in person.

Yeah, mz the pussy, you're pretty wrong there. You're going to have to punch me too.

I can understand how you can feel the way you do about soccer, and you certainly explained it nicely in your post, but all the "beauty" in the world doesn't making it not boring as shit in my, and many other folks', opinion.

Here's my comparison:

It is a good game and way more exciting than what u presume it to be .... it depends a lot on the quality of the league you are watching

It depends entirely on how you're exposed to it.

Its kinda fun to play for 5 minutes, past that its just a marathon.

Played soccer worldwide and one year of college basketball. If I didn't play soccer for the first 13 years of my life (along with football, baseball and basketball) I don't think I would of played college ball. Dude, what I wouldn't give to be in that shape now.

On another note watching soccer in England was equally as fun as watching a Browns game. I'll tell you this, it was twice as loud with a quarter of people at the game. Both fans are yelling and singing all at the same time, it's quite a site.

Soccer is a silly, boring sport.

It's so boring, in India, they play Jai lai a lot. And cricket, too, out of desperation

to avoid being bored by soccer.

THAT is how boring soccer is.

Unless we go watch the kids around us play on their teams,

then it's kinda interesting, but the kids love us to be there.

It's so boring, in India, they play Jai lai a lot. And cricket, too, out of desperation

In India? They don't play because they suck and it's 130 degrees out. If you have ever been to a Premier League game, it's something. Very exciting. Way more exciting then an Indians vs. Pirates slug fest. Wow, watching those 2 teams is like watching paint dry.

My argument against soccer has no tinge of "American self-centered-ness and arrogance" whatsoever. It has everything to do with the sport both being a kids game and sucking. How can I say this for certain? Because, first off, I'm probably one of the least nationalistic people around. On my most radical of days, I hate the fact that countries even have borders/exist, so telling me I hate soccer because we're not the BEST in the WORLD at it is laughable. I couldn't care less about how we perform in the Olympics or any other country-vs.-country sporting event (Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, and of course World Cup). In fact, I want us to suck so badly at soccer on the national stage that we disband our soccer programs. And it is, at its "basic" form, is a kids game. It requires no organization, but just a bunch of 5 year olds, a field, two goals and one medium-sized ball. Go get 'em! I played soccer as a kid, like everyone else. Heck, my dad coached our rec league team for a couple of years and I STILL hated it, and it wasn't like I hated sports at the time because I played Little League Baseball and tennis. It's because soccer sucks.

I love ya, sev, but the "to the average american audience used to watching very large people moving at extreme speeds doing insane things with their bodies" argument you make as to why we find soccer mundane holds no water. Why you may ask? For a few reasons. First, because I'm constantly told how guys like David Beckham and Ronaldo/Ronaldhino/Ronaldwhatever are some of the Greatest Athletes in the World. The "doing insane things with their bodies" argument dies right there, unless of course I'm being lied to about these folks' athletic prowess. Either way, I'm right about soccer here. Second, are basketball and American football not popular in Europe/around the world? I'd wager basketball is more popular in China than soccer is. So any argument that says the enjoyment of soccer requires a European/African/Asian/South American mentality is bogus. It's just that they hadn't been exposed to the NFL and NBA as long as we have. They're obviously coming around, wouldn't you say?

And the chess comparison doesn't work for me, either. Soccer is far less cerebral (unless I just "don't get it," which I've been told and subsequently wanted to punch said person in the face) and has less action than chess. Or checkers. Or poker. Or Strongman Competitions. Or lumberjack sports. Good thing they don't put chess on TV......................

Soccer requires no organization ? that is as silly as saying that NFL requires no organization .. some dude throws the ball and some dude catches it. Soccer does not suck .. you simply do not like it. And to set the Chinese record straight, Chinese love soccer more than basketball .. Yao Ming might have given china a huge love for NBA, but soccer still rules the roost over there.

If we are going to take India as the bench mark to decide what is the best sport then i guess we can pretty much discount NFL and NBA and base ball and worship cricket ... ooh great cricket, save me from the grasshoppers

If your exposure to soccer is ur kids local team then i think you need to broaden your horizons ... Beckham, Ronaldinho, Christiano Ronaldo didnt get rich being lucky.

Did any of you "soccer sucks" guys watch that game yesterday? It was an INCREDIBLE display of heart, skill and tenacity on both sides and if you watched it all the way through, I'm not sure what you could dislike.

It was phenomenal drama, with the U.S. going up 2-0 early and Brazil just putting on a freaking clinic in the 2nd half. We showed great heart in not getting embarrassed totally that 2nd half, by the way. Tim Howard is an AWESOME keeper, it seems to me.

But even if you don't like the sport itself, I'm not sure how you guys can't get into the pure SPECTACLE of big-time soccer. Think about this, and I mean really try to tap into this thought:

HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE were watching that ONE game yesterday, all over the world.

Civilized, less civilized, rich, poor, democratic, communist, Christian, Muslim, atheist, didn't matter. Everyone was watching the SAME THING, and cheering for one of those two teams. The craziest part, for me, is that some people that "hate" the U.S. were likely cheering for us yesterday because we were the underdog and their passion for soccer far outweighs their political passions. That's the really cool -- and important -- thing about international soccer. It really does cross all borders in the world.

Matches like yesterday's and things like the World Cup simply can't be matched by any other event for global reach and impact. Can you guys tell me that you really just don't care about something THIS BIG?

Did any of you "soccer sucks" guys watch that game yesterday? It was an INCREDIBLE display of heart, skill and tenacity on both sides and if you watched it all the way through, I'm not sure what you could dislike. Juki

Some people feel the same way about cricket, ping pong and croquet. Not everybody has to have the same opinion

about a sport.

Watching groundhogs eat our soybeans is more interesting than soccer, and I hate groundhogs eating our soybeans.

Can you guys tell me that you really just don't care about something THIS BIG?

Honestly, yes.

I actually laughed while watching the SportsCenter highlights showing the US blow the 2-0 lead. Isn't that akin to an NFL team blowing a 56-0 halftime lead or something?

Watching groundhogs eat our soybeans is more interesting than soccer, and I hate groundhogs eating our soybeans.

Now thats when you can get the varmit rifle out and have some target practice, it will keep you sharp.

I had to shoot the easter bunny friday, he was busy eating in the garden.

Hey At least we agree on that.

I don't know which sucks worse, World Cup Soccer ot Wimbledon....

(or televised fishing or poker...)WSS

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I like Wimbledon - at least the Woman's bracket, watch Charlie Moore - the Mad Fisherman - on TV and often stop and watch a little WSP when the feeling comes upon me.

Personally, I cannot stomach golf.

Stupid sport, IMHO.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I like Wimbledon - at least the Woman's bracket, watch Charlie Moore - the Mad Fisherman - on TV and often stop and watch a little WSP when the feeling comes upon me.

Personally, I cannot stomach golf.

Stupid sport, IMHO.

I can watch a little golf but liked it better when Arnie and Jack were playing.

Soccer and tennis just bore me but I don't suppose they're any stupider than any sport.

I hate basketball too.

Oh well.

Some guys love NASCAR.

WSS

Archived