THE BROWNS BOARD

Zeitler

darren15

gotta a weird question on Corbett.. JD announced Corbett as a Tackle when drafted..if JD announces Corbett as a Guard, even though slotted, the contract dollars are less? imho,Corbett never had the hand punch nor arm length to ever play Tackle..  

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

gotta a weird question on Corbett.. JD announced Corbett as a Tackle when drafted..if JD announces Corbett as a Guard, even though slotted, the contract dollars are less? imho,Corbett never had the hand punch nor arm length to ever play Tackle..  

Are the positions predetermined by the NFL? If not, why not draft everyone as a punter?

Z

15 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Are the positions predetermined by the NFL? If not, why not draft everyone as a punter?

Z

i would think they were negotiated between players union? agents? vs. Nfl ? am remembering before contract slotting the draft picks, that tackles got paid more than guards/centers..could also be another reason they went to slotting not by position? but i still think the Tackle overall pot is higher than Guard/Center pot? am off to spottrac & i may need some medical pot 🌿 to figure this out 🐸

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Z

competition committee..all is forgiven.JD's still a genius.Corbett was the 3rd Guard announced off the board..14 Tackles went totaling 53M..13 Guards went (slotted higher) totaling 82M..9 Centers totaling 39M.. 

4 hours ago, gumby73 said:

i would think they were negotiated between players union? agents? vs. Nfl ? am remembering before contract slotting the draft picks, that tackles got paid more than guards/centers..could also be another reason they went to slotting not by position? but i still think the Tackle overall pot is higher than Guard/Center pot? am off to spottrac & i may need some medical pot 🌿 to figure this out 🐸

I thought as far as OL is concerned- that only matters in FA.  IIRC, all OL is considered as one when you tag a player. 

5 hours ago, Zombo said:

Z

Nope, Quentin Nelson was definitely drafted as a guard- and at #6 overall, gets more money on his rookie deal than any tackle drafted below him. If someone pulled an Al Davis and drafted a kicker like Janikowski in the first round- hed get paid like a first round pick.  

On 3/11/2019 at 11:19 AM, jrb12711 said:

Honestly and put more simply, pass rush is the 2nd most important thing in the NFL outside of a franchise QB. Zeitler was elite, but Vernon provides as you've noted a much needed upgrade at a more vital position.

I think maybe we're focused too much on Corbett as well. T.J. Lang for example would fit in nicely here who just got released, and we interviewed several OL candidates at the combine. Dorsey has been strong in making moves so he has a card to play, that's for sure.

I'm absolutely ecstatic about having another pass rusher. Some analysts have called Vernon "good, not great", and that may be true, but the addition of Vernon makes HIM better AND Garrett better. Not to mention the talent we have at DT now. I mean, Jesus. That's probably a top 5 defensive line in the league. 

Archived