THE BROWNS BOARD

So the POTUS accused Google of Aiding Chinese Military

MLD Woody

no, it's not crazy, it's true, blind woodpecker.

https://breakingdefense.com/2018/06/google-helps-chinese-military-why-not-us-bob-work/

WASHINGTON: Google’s withdrawal from Project Maven, which applied artificial intelligence to military intelligence, was dangerous and naïve, the former deputy secretary of defense said. While using AI to analyze surveillance video might help the US find terrorists and kill them, Bob Work acknowledged, it could also save lives by preventing terrorist attacks or errant strikes by US forces.

What’s more, Work told the DefenseOne technology conference at the Newseum here, despite its ethical objections to helping the Pentagon, Google indirectly and inadvertently assists the Chinese military, which has tentacles into the tech giant’s ventures in China.

Bob-Work-trimmed-300x150.jpg

Former Deputy Defense Secretary Bob Work

Google has had a conflicted history in China, where it stopped doing business for years over government censorship. But today the company is standing up its new Google AI China Center in Beijing with “several hundred China-based engineers.”

Outpacing the US in artificial intelligence by 2025 is a national priority for the Chinese government. To reach this and other technology goals, Beijing has explicitly adopted a strategy of “civil-military fusion”: The People’s Liberation Army has relationships with every major company and university, and it’s a patriotic duty to provide information to the PLA. (There’s also China’s massive covert effort to steal trade secrets from foreign companies). So, Work said of Google’s new venture in Beijing, “anything that’s going on in that center is going to be used by the military.”

Yet over 3,000 of Google’s 70,000 employees signed a letter saying “Google should not be in the business of war” and should promise that “neither Google nor its contractors will ever build warfare technology.” The petitioners successfully urged the company to withdraw from its Project Maven contract with the US military. (Ironically, other Google employees are still pitching products to Special Operations).

Hey cal, at least in the article u cut and pasted....there's not a "single" factual crumb of explanationfor how Google is aiding tge Chinese military. Per ur article, Google withdrew from a project that aided the Pentagon..in large part because their 70k employees petitioned Google to not be involved in military projects.

Closest thing I could find in ur article.....Google indirectly and inadvertently assists the Chinese military

then go back and read it again. The Chinese have their military and civilian applications in transparent lockstep.

America doesn't have that. The Chinese can have their "civilian" companies work with google, etc, and google doesn't know it goes directly behind their backs? to the military for military applications?

So, google doesn't want to involved with American military. Only with companies that apparently, don't have working contracts with our military.

Therefore, google is helping the Chinese military, and refusing to continue to help the American military.

That does not sound like "inadvertent" to anybody with any sense.

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

The Joint Chief of Staff also did.  And no, I don't think it's crazy at all.

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

then go back and read it again. The Chinese have their military and civilian applications in transparent lockstep.

America doesn't have that. The Chinese can have their "civilian" companies work with google, etc, and google doesn't know it goes directly behind their backs? to the military for military applications?

So, google doesn't want to involved with American military. Only with companies that apparently, don't have working contracts with our military.

Therefore, google is helping the Chinese military, and refusing to continue to help the American military.

That does not sound like "inadvertent" to anybody with any sense.

but do we know for a fact that google does things with these civilian Chinese companies akin to what they were going to do for the Pentagon? The answer is likely not. Because that's EXACTLY what google's employees told them they would not accept. One week google is bad deep state badly bigly bad, next week they're good until they decide 'NOW" not to play along with Trumps burgeoning new deep state. NOW they're bad again. 

I for one LOATHE google. So much so that I've started using Bing. Google and Facebook are essentially interchangeable in my eyes. So I have "no" love for google. I just don't as of now see the evidence behind them helping the Chinese military. That sounds like classic Trump exaggeration that nobody critically examines and says well now hang on a minute. None of you seem to be capable of that. 

19 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

but do we know for a fact that google does things with these civilian Chinese companies akin to what they were going to do for the Pentagon?

proof by what? go look up the definition of "communist state". Then read:

A Chinese search and AI giant says it could help Google make a ...

Sep 28, 2018 - The CEO of Sogou says his company could help Google navigate China's regulations and censorship.
Jun 19, 2018 - In December, Google announced it would be opening a new AI research center in China, expanding its existing presence in the country. China .

So, China already has an outstanding ai program, in a communist nation, the gov OWNS and CONTROLS all private industry,
and the subject is ai in both countries. what part of knowing aren't you getting?

8 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

proof by what? go look up the definition of "communist state". Then read:

A Chinese search and AI giant says it could help Google make a ...

Sep 28, 2018 - The CEO of Sogou says his company could help Google navigate China's regulations and censorship.
Jun 19, 2018 - In December, Google announced it would be opening a new AI research center in China, expanding its existing presence in the country. China .

So, China already has an outstanding ai program, in a communist nation, the gov OWNS and CONTROLS all private industry,
and the subject is ai in both countries. what part of knowing aren't you getting?

but none of that states that google was going to help China with the tech they were fixing to help the pentagon with...which is highly sophisticated drone AI imaging. Like deep state shit. My issue is google offering their stupid search engine in china is not greatly helping the military. The joint chiefs of staff is accusing google of helping the Chinese military but he wouldn't specifiy how. So nobody knows what this is about. 

stop for a minute and think. China is leading the way in AI over google. Therefore, whatever google can contribute, it will

be very, very high tech to add to the chinese tech. as in, what they CAN'T do right now, and google can, is the only stuff google will be doing.

and any tech that state of the art that china doesn't know, but will learn from google, can be applied to military applications.

Why would you ...feel...that google was only going to give them low budget non-militarily application tech?

makes no sense, Cleve, like most of your posts.

China set to leapfrog US in the AI race - TNW

Jul 30, 2018 - In that time China has advanced its agenda to a startling degree, at least ... Google and Amazon, working on different problems in the field of AI.

6 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

stop for a minute and think. China is leading the way in AI over google. Therefore, whatever google can contribute, it will

be very, very high tech to add to the chinese tech. as in, what they CAN'T do right now, and google can, is the only stuff google will be doing.

and any tech that state of the art that china doesn't know, but will learn from google, can be applied to military applications.

Why would you ...feel...that google was only going to give them low budget non-militarily application tech?

makes no sense, Cleve, like most of your posts.

China set to leapfrog US in the AI race - TNW

Jul 30, 2018 - In that time China has advanced its agenda to a startling degree, at least ... Google and Amazon, working on different problems in the field of AI.

until I hear "how" google is helping the Chinese military...it's a story we can't really comment on. China is already experimenting with using facial recognition tech as means of payment. You pay for shit by having your face scanned, they're already doing it..they don't need google. I hate google, but the Trump admin needs to either explain how they think google is helping the Chinese military...or stfu. Cause apparently you were fine with google when they were about to make your drones fucking terminators. 

10 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

sure, Cleve. I don't have the details on exactly what tech and a manuscript decribing it and...

you are impossible.

if you're going to accuse an American company of aiding a foreign military....you'd better furnish substantial evidence. They did say "indirectly" so that's maybe their hedge. I dunno

1 minute ago, Clevfan4life said:

if you're going to accuse an American company of aiding a foreign military....you'd better furnish substantial evidence. They did say "indirectly" so that's maybe their hedge. I dunno

Evidence?

Trump's Twitter is all the proof I need!

MAGA!

Archived