THE BROWNS BOARD

Great example of bias

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/small-business-owners-struggling-to-understand-trump-new-tax-law-2019-04-05/

Headline is small businesses are struggling under Trump's new tax law. Okay let's look a little bit further and see what the reason is. Smaller tax refunds assumedly mean less spending sprees when the refunds come in. Okay? Got it. What would be the reason for smaller refunds? That the little guy is getting taxed more heavily than he thought? No not at all. The fact that withholding is not nearly as much. So that little guy has more money to spend every week  or every other week. Reasons being bigger individual deductions and less capital gains for those people living on investment income.

Also that means that your money has been sitting in an investment bearing fund , if you're smart enough to have one, rather than in the government's pocket before they send it back to you as a refund. With no interest.

But that headline is exactly what we would find in The Blaze. I know what to expect from The Blaze but nobody pretends that they are the mainstream media.

3 2 1...

WSS

Both reasonable posts above. The problem is the everyday Joe Blow does not really understand that there is less withheld and continues to spend everything paycheck to paycheck. That being said though, the extra money still gets back into the economy during the full year, just not a big bounce all at one time in the spring. And I think the economy overall is reflecting that fact, so I don't get the complaints about it affecting small businesses. Doesn't add up to me.

No, the problem is the constant disingenuous, ...deliberately dishonest "takes" that appeal to the leftwing voters.

It's a strange lie they keep inferring - the dishonest takes are mainstream, they get backing to keep it up and they owe their soul to those rich way left radical backers. Like george soros, etc etc etc.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Both reasonable posts above. The problem is the everyday Joe Blow does not really understand that there is less withheld and continues to spend everything paycheck to paycheck. That being said though, the extra money still gets back into the economy during the full year, just not a big bounce all at one time in the spring. And I think the economy overall is reflecting that fact, so I don't get the complaints about it affecting small businesses. Doesn't add up to me.

Small Business, if we're talking about retail, has lots more to worry about than the tax code. 

And Millennials or not too many Americans refuse to save anyting. Die Hard is absolutely right about investing whatever would have been your withholding. You would have more than your refund plus whatever interest.

WSS

19 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Small Business, if we're talking about retail, has lots more to worry about than the tax code. 

And Millennials or not too many Americans refuse to save anyting. Die Hard is absolutely right about investing whatever would have been your withholding. You would have more than your refund plus whatever interest.

WSS

When the "new" IRA's came out my wife and I began putting money in them. And when the Fed. Government came out with the voluntary Thrift Savings Plan I switched to full participation in that. My wife found that teachers who came from other states were not paying off the years they had accumulated elsewhere into good years with the Texas Teachers Retirement System even though they could pay it off slowly over time. And every year they would complain about losing those years, but would do nothing to insure they got them. Just plain dumb, but not unusual at all. And we slowly paid off her teaching years from Wyoming and Kansas fairly early in her time here.Our strategy allowed us both to retire under age 65 without relying on some possible mythical inheritance. With me having 4 siblings and she 3, nothing was expected except household goods split multiple ways on the lottery system (names from a hat).

what's really bad about that article? It says small business's are struggling to understand the new tax laws, the guy they interviewed even said I may in the end be better off but "I don't know". It's a completely fair article. Next year we'll prob know better about the overhaul and it's effects. Prob for some people they will be better off but maybe not others. We won't know till then. Useless thread from wss. 

4 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

what's really bad about that article? It says small business's are struggling to understand the new tax laws, the guy they interviewed even said I may in the end be better off but "I don't know". It's a completely fair article. Next year we'll prob know better about the overhaul and it's effects. Prob for some people they will be better off but maybe not others. We won't know till then. Useless thread from wss. 

It underscores the fact that the CBS headline is inflammatory even though the article, as you say, is not necessarily outrageous. Many of you bitch when right-wing websites use that ploy. Most people I would guess only read the headline of an articleperiod (Actually most people probably don'tsee them at all.)

A brighter person would have understood that.

WSS

Wait, this thread turned on millennials now? How surprising...

Millennials don't "refuse to save". It's just that a good chunk of income is going towards student loans. And yes Steve,the cost of tuition has increased over the last 40 years....

4 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Wait, this thread turned on millennials now? How surprising...

Millennials don't "refuse to save". It's just that a good chunk of income is going towards student loans. And yes Steve,the cost of tuition has increased over the last 40 years....

Hey Woodrow didn't I say at a previous post that it's not just millennials who don't save as much as they should? Even though young people traditionally don't save a lot it's a problem with much as Society.

If a Young musician asked me for career advice one of the top things I would say is to save as much money as you can.

WSS

3 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Hey Woodrow didn't I say at a previous post that it's not just millennials who don't save as much as they should? Even though young people traditionally don't save a lot it's a problem with much as Society.

If a Young musician asked me for career advice one of the top things I would say is to save as much money as you can.

WSS

For sure, and the key factor is "as much as you can".

I would 100% prioritize student loan debt if they had any. 

6 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

For sure, and the key factor is "as much as you can".

I would 100% prioritize student loan debt if they had any. 

Anecdotal story. A long time ago I used to play Key West a couple months out of the Year filling in for a friend of mine who went on vacation in the spring in the fall. I did the evening show and there is an older gentleman that did the afternoon show. He would finish his set, get paid in cash and sit at the bar and spend most of it.

WSS

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Anecdotal story. A long time ago I used to play Key West a couple months out of the Year filling in for a friend of mine who went on vacation in the spring in the fall. I did the evening show and there is an older gentleman that did the afternoon show. He would finish his set, get paid in cash and sit at the bar and spend most of it.

WSS

Yep, my wife complained about the complainers who for 30 years would not take her usual advice to set up an automatic withdrawal to pay off their teaching years from other states. She even went into detail about how she set it up for herself and paid off 7 years over time. And every year the closer they got to retirement, the higher the price got to make the payoff and the more they would bitch. She'd just shake her head and ask why they had not taken her advice. She's pretty straightforward that way.  They ended up retired minus those years and minus the extra retirement income. Just plain stupid when you don't take sound advice.

And ditto on paying off the student loans. And if you can pay them off by refinancing elsewhere for a lower rate, get it done before rates climb any higher. It's worth looking into.

10 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yep, my wife complained about the complainers who for 30 years would not take her usual advice to set up an automatic withdrawal to pay off their teaching years from other states. She even went into detail about how she set it up for herself and paid off 7 years over time. And every year the closer they got to retirement, the higher the price got to make the payoff and the more they would bitch. She'd just shake her head and ask why they had not taken her advice. She's pretty straightforward that way.  They ended up retired minus those years and minus the extra retirement income. Just plain stupid when you don't take sound advice.

And ditto on paying off the student loans. And if you can pay them off by refinancing elsewhere for a lower rate, get it done before rates climb any higher. It's worth looking into.

Yep, unfortunately it seems the prevailing attitude lately is toward amnesty.

One of my biggest gripes about student loans is a kid who's not old enough to buy a shot of whiskey can take out a loan for as much as a house would cost him hoping that someday he'll have a job in whatever field he's chosen. 

A kid goes into a music store and buys a $5,000 guitar hand signs up for lessons, but he doesn't really practice enough and even if he does never gets a good paying job in a band. Should they give him the money back?

QSS

15 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Yep, unfortunately it seems the prevailing attitude lately is toward amnesty.

One of my biggest gripes about student loans is a kid who's not old enough to buy a shot of whiskey can take out a loan for as much as a house would cost him hoping that someday he'll have a job in whatever field he's chosen. 

A kid goes into a music store and buys a $5,000 guitar hand signs up for lessons, but he doesn't really practice enough and even if he does never gets a good paying job in a band. Should they give him the money back?

QSS

It's worse than that Steve. You can no longer include student loans as part of a bankruptcy declaration without giving up your second child or some such ridiculous qualification. You're fucked.

4 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

It's worse than that Steve. You can no longer include student loans as part of a bankruptcy declaration without giving up your second child or some such ridiculous qualification. You're fucked.

Even more reason to think long and hard about making the investment. It's never been my opinion that merely having a college degree guarantees you a good job.

WSS

I loved the GI Bill - paid for my college. I realized as I reported for the draft in late 70, that at least I'd have a great GI bill to

go to college on. Except they sent me back home, because of my really bad knee, and wouldn't draft me. LOL

So, I worked in a Clarkins warehouse to pay for classes, until I quit school a few years later, and enlisted to help my parents pay their bills while Dad went on strike for about 2 1/2 months. Then, demoquack jimmy "peanut brain" carter and whoever change the GI to the GI putting into a fund for college when he enters. The trouble was, a lot of vets didn't know they wanted to go to college later, and didn't do it.  I don't know how it is now.

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I loved the GI Bill - paid for my college. I realized as I reported for the draft in late 70, that at least I'd have a great GI bill to

go to college on. Except they sent me back home, because of my really bad knee, and wouldn't draft me. LOL

So, I worked in a Clarkins warehouse to pay for classes, until I quit school a few years later, and enlisted to help my parents pay their bills while Dad went on strike for about 2 1/2 months. Then, demoquack jimmy "peanut brain" carter and whoever change the GI to the GI putting into a fund for college when he enters. The trouble was, a lot of vets didn't know they wanted to go to college later, and didn't do it.  I don't know how it is now.

How did you get in the Air Force with a knee that disqualified you from the draft?  I was a recruiter for 3 years and you would have been labeled PDQ (Permanently disgualified).

I personally saw the government, through the air Force, fix some fucked up shit. I went to basic with this one guy whose teeth were completely rotted out. I mean completely at somewhere between 18-21 years of age. They fixed this asshole's entire grill and then he proceeded to wash out of basic. 

8 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

that was such a good story steve

3 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

How did you get in the Air Force with a knee that disqualified you from the draft?  I was a recruiter for 3 years and you would have been labeled PDQ (Permanently disgualified).

I was 2A. Could not be drafted unless it was a national emergency. When I went to join the Navy - my first love, because my Dad had been in the Navy, and I had read his Bluejacket manual dozens of times as a kid , the Navy recruiter said there was no way I'd pass the physical, when I showed him an x-ray of my reconstructed knee. But he was a good guy, and said we'll go talk to the Air Force recruiter - AF basic was a few weeks shorter and not as physically demanding.

So, I enlisted in the Air Force. My Dad was facing a huge long strike at work, and with few jobs available for thousands of people who lost their jobs when General Tire went out of business.... I quit college and enlisted. At the physical, I passed everything again, until they got to the nearly footlong frankenstein scar on my knee. So, they took an xray, and asked me why I would try to enlist with that bad a knee, so I told em, he shook his head, and said it if was his knee, he would never try to play golf or bowl. But, I told him I wasn't quitting, he had to let me try. So, he goes over, lol, and talks with three other dr.s as they look at my xray - and finally said - "son, we don't think that knee will make it through basic, but we admire your courage, so we'll let you pass. Good luck to you, son."

Keep in mind, I was never allowed to play sports. Surgeon's orders.

So, after about 4 or 5 weeks, I was doing great - 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 mile - except my knee started to swell up and give me a good bit of pain, and setting our heels in when we marched for hours had started to send pain to my eyeballs. Then we ran the mile - combat boots on hot pavement - and I had trouble that night - pain kept me from getting any sleep.  And between stressed with pain, not sleeping, air conditioning etc, I got bronchial asthma. TI's would have us marching all over the base (Lackland), and we had two of the meanest TI's, surely,

on earth.... so, I went to the infirmary, got meds for near pneumonia and anti-inflammatants for my knee...the dr there wanted to put me in the hospital, and I told him, "Sir, if you put me into the hospital, I will never complete basic. It's now or never." so, he agreed and I started doing healthier lungwise, and had a little bit less knee pain - but then my life in basic went to serious hell - with only two weeks to go. And as you know, we still had to run the mile and a half, and the obstacle course.   

So, as to the rest of the amazing story,,,, maybe I'll that privately to ya one of these days. lol

in the meantime, I lived happily ever after, and send most all my checks to back home to pay their bills, and I fished and hunted squirrels, and frogs, for food. And honestly had cattail roots for potatoes. Rainbow trout, crappie, bluegill, channel cat... I did great in survival mode. Froglegs rock for survival food. I did that for the entire time they were on strike. Lots of guys lost homes, got divorced, went bankrupt, etc etc. My family did fine.

2 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

I personally saw the government, through the air Force, fix some fucked up shit. I went to basic with this one guy whose teeth were completely rotted out. I mean completely at somewhere between 18-21 years of age. They fixed this asshole's entire grill and then he proceeded to wash out of basic. 

we had guys who could NOT swing across the giant mud hole on the ropes - they ended up in a remedial troop to lose weight, etc.

and about the end of the second week, a kid in our flight went around asking for cold medicine - from several guys. I didn't give him anything - thought it sounded fishy = but he eventually tried to commit suicide one night - while we were all asleep.

Except one of the guys was talking to another guy - and they realized it almost too late. They made an emergency call about midnight, because he was unresponsive when they checked on him. All I heard was a bunch of frantic footsteps, a gurney rolled in fast.

I sat up in bed in the dark, and somebody grabbed me by the shirt and told me to get the hell back under the covers and stay there til sun rise... so I certainly did. ok, for an hour. They carted him out, we never saw him again. General discharge I suppose.

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I was 2A. Could not be drafted unless it was a national emergency. When I went to join the Navy - my first love, because my Dad had been in the Navy, and I had read his Bluejacket manual dozens of times as a kid , the Navy recruiter said there was no way I'd pass the physical, when I showed him an x-ray of my reconstructed knee. But he was a good guy, and said we'll go talk to the Air Force recruiter - AF basic was a few weeks shorter and not as physically demanding.

So, I enlisted in the Air Force. My Dad was facing a huge long strike at work, and with few jobs available for thousands of people who lost their jobs when General Tire went out of business.... I quit college and enlisted. At the physical, I passed everything again, until they got to the nearly footlong frankenstein scar on my knee. So, they took an xray, and asked me why I would try to enlist with that bad a knee, so I told em, he shook his head, and said it if was his knee, he would never try to play golf or bowl. But, I told him I wasn't quitting, he had to let me try. So, he goes over, lol, and talks with three other dr.s as they look at my xray - and finally said - "son, we don't think that knee will make it through basic, but we admire your courage, so we'll let you pass. Good luck to you, son."

Keep in mind, I was never allowed to play sports. Surgeon's orders.

So, after about 4 or 5 weeks, I was doing great - 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 mile - except my knee started to swell up and give me a good bit of pain, and setting our heels in when we marched for hours had started to send pain to my eyeballs. Then we ran the mile - combat boots on hot pavement - and I had trouble that night - pain kept me from getting any sleep.  And between stressed with pain, not sleeping, air conditioning etc, I got bronchial asthma. TI's would have us marching all over the base (Lackland), and we had two of the meanest TI's, surely,

on earth.... so, I went to the infirmary, got meds for near pneumonia and anti-inflammatants for my knee...the dr there wanted to put me in the hospital, and I told him, "Sir, if you put me into the hospital, I will never complete basic. It's now or never." so, he agreed and I started doing healthier lungwise, and had a little bit less knee pain - but then my life in basic went to serious hell - with only two weeks to go. And as you know, we still had to run the mile and a half, and the obstacle course.   

So, as to the rest of the amazing story,,,, maybe I'll that privately to ya one of these days. lol

in the meantime, I lived happily ever after, and send most all my checks to back home to pay their bills, and I fished and hunted squirrels, and frogs, for food. And honestly had cattail roots for potatoes. Rainbow trout, crappie, bluegill, channel cat... I did great in survival mode. Froglegs rock for survival food. I did that for the entire time they were on strike. Lots of guys lost homes, got divorced, went bankrupt, etc etc. My family did fine.

cal furiously poured over his Russian troll manual for hours to come up with this one. It hits all the sappy yet courageous notes. Well done Vladimir well done!!!

Archived