THE BROWNS BOARD

How can you stay lost for 17 days on an Island?

Chemist

Assuming you all have heard about the biker who was lost for 17 days on Maui. Sorry, but it needs to be asked: How can you stay lost for 17 days on Maui? Find and follow a rut, stream, river downhill until you reach the ocean. From there follow the shoreline until you see someone or any semblance of civilization. 17 days? Seriously. Good thing she’s ok but still...

9 minutes ago, Chemist said:

Assuming you all have heard about the biker who was lost for 17 days on Maui. Sorry, but it needs to be asked: How can you stay lost for 17 days on Maui? Find and follow a rut, stream, river downhill until you reach the ocean. From there follow the shoreline until you see someone or any semblance of civilization. 17 days? Seriously. Good thing she’s ok but still...

she broke or severely twisted her knee dude....i cant stress enough the importance of proper reading comp skills. Learn it now jr vefore, u know, u get old or somethin. Would suck being old and incapable of processing written facts and figures 

She says she twisted her ankle, and it doesn’t matter. If nothing’s broke and you can move, you have to suck it up after the first few days  of being lost and save yourself. Crawl, swim or whatever to save yourself. She’s extremely lucky it was Maui and not somewhere far more dangerous.

She got lost at the Makawao Forest Reserve, 2093 acres. Folks, even on a day hike, something can happen. Can you find water? purify it? keep warm? find something to eat? Build a small safe signal fire? Have a whistle? Make a temporary shelter properly? Have a way of knowing directions? First aid kit? Flashlight ? extra batteries? Even a smallish waistpack could help you save your life. You just never know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makawao_Forest_Reserve

Amanda Eller

On May 8, 2019, 35-year-old Haiku, Hawaii resident and yoga teacher Amanda Eller did not return from a hike. The next day a search ensued that eventually included Maui police, hundreds of volunteers, Maui Fire Department, local and Oahu search and rescue dogs and helicopters.

On May 24, 2019, Eller was found by a helicopter that her father funded[1]. She had fallen from a 20-foot cliff into a ravine 4 miles (6 km) from her vehicle. Eller had sustained leg injuries including a fracture, and was 20 pounds (9 kg) underweight when found. She survived by drinking water from a nearby waterfall and foraging for food.[2]

She walked out of the hospital after a two day stay. Her injuries were not severely debilitating.

Actually I will admit I was wrong. She did the right things she needed to do to survive. Every survival situation is different. I probably would have found my own way out. 

Now about how she got herself into the situation, that’s a different subject. If you always rely on your cell phone to find your way around, don’t try to change things up. Know the area you’re hiking. Know about waterways and where they lead. Know the topography.

• Upvote 2

On 5/28/2019 at 7:17 PM, Chemist said:

She walked out of the hospital after a two day stay. Her injuries were not severely debilitating.

Actually I will admit I was wrong. She did the right things she needed to do to survive. Every survival situation is different. I probably would have found my own way out. 

Now about how she got herself into the situation, that’s a different subject. If you always rely on your cell phone to find your way around, don’t try to change things up. Know the area you’re hiking. Know about waterways and where they lead. Know the topography.

A hint to the wise. When hiking Rocky Mountain National Park there is no cell phone service when you get well into the back country. Always have a map and a compass and know how to use them. If you lose them then follow the water downhill. LOL!🐳😂