THE BROWNS BOARD

Hong Kong Protesters love America

Our ship pulled into Hong Kong in 1976 and it was a cool place to visit. All kinds of shops with great prices. It was under British control then. I got a few of my tattoos there. Matter of fact I think most of the sailors on my ship got them there. They had a great sales pitch. They had people on the street advertising this place with free beer...and yep they did give you free beer and then tattoo you with all the bad decisions too much free beer can produce LOL...Actually a sad story for one guy on the ship. He was drunk and got a huge tattoo (and it was huge). It was a dear head that covered his stomach and chest and shoulders and the antlers went around into his back. The next day when he sobered up and saw what he had done he freaked out and they took him off the ship and I never saw him again. I don't if they can remove a fresh tattoo like he had or not, this was back in the 70's before laser removal of tattoos?

11 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Hong Kong and Taiwan are both getting a raw deal but I don't think there will be much that can be done about it. 

I think Hong Kong is in a worse position. In 1997 when the British turned back control of Hong Kong to China I'm not sure there is anything but protests by the people of Hong Kong from keeping China just going in and strong arming them into submission like they did with the students at Tianaman Square.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Hong Kong was the first port I pulled into on the USS MIDWAY (CV-41) got my first tattoo their.  Next port was Subc Bay.😁

I was on the USS Decatur DDG 31. The "dicky do's" LOL. Actually that was our mascot name the "USS Decatur Dicky Do's" named after Dick Decatur.

When I enlisted in 75 I was expecting we would have the old cracker jack uniforms which I always liked and the denim bell bottom work jeans but as fate would have it they changed the uniforms to a double breasted suit and did away with the denim jeans just at the time I joined and after I left they went back to the old uniforms. Also I liked the idea of having a beard but mother nature at the time wouldn't allow me to grow a decent one and I was only in the Navy for a short time when they did away with allowing beards  at all.

You had to be in Subic Bay in the 70's.......crazy place. The best port we pulled into for me was Sydney Australia. I had a lot of fun there and met some great people.