THE BROWNS BOARD

Thoughts?

Well before it was needed why did the officer get the pepper spray out and shake it? It looked like a premeditated decision to pepper spray a strapped down person. All should have been fired for participation in this.

It is a jail and not a hotel. Also that restraining chair is for inmates who refuse to obey commands. Obey commands and you won't get put in the restraining chair. That said the officer who struck her overreacted when she jerked her leg up and he was wrong. It twas after being struck she started kicking at the officers. At that point the other officer had every right to mace her and spraying mace directly into ones face is how it is done. It seems to me though that he would have had an obligation to later rinse out her eyes with water? I'm guessing but I think that would be the protocol so both officers should be disciplined  IMO.

27 minutes ago, Vambo said:

There is no audio so just from the video it look bad for the officers, as OldBrownsFan mentioned there was a reason she was being restrained in the first place.

I will reserve judgement until and if more evidence is given.

We don't have all the facts but the first issue I see is did she warrant being placed in the restraining chair in the first place? What was her behavior that caused them to put her into the chair? If they had a valid reason to put her in a restraining chair than that is what it is there for. Also if she was spitting (we don't know that) at the officers they usually have spit masks that go with the chairs and why would they have not put that on her? I agree the video does look bad but like you say we don't have all the evidence although apparently there was enough evidence for two of the officers to have charges brought against them by the grand jury. One of the charges was unlawful restraint so it could be they did not have a valid reason to even put her in the restraining chair.

5 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

We don't have all the facts but the first issue I see is did she warrant being placed in the restraining chair in the first place? What was her behavior that caused them to put her into the chair? If they had a valid reason to put her in a restraining chair than that is what it is there for. Also if she was spitting (we don't know that) at the officers they usually have spit masks that go with the chairs and why would they have not put that on her? I agree the video does look bad but like you say we don't have all the evidence although apparently there was enough evidence for two of the officers to have charges brought against them by the grand jury. One of the charges was unlawful restraint so it could be they did not have a valid reason to even put her in the restraining chair.

I don't think the punch in the face was necessary nor the pepper spray.

Just now, Vambo said:

I don't think the punch in the face was necessary nor the pepper spray.

I think the pepper spray could be justified since she was kicking at the corrections officers but not the punch in the face. I had a woman on probation who was originally charged with a felony and got pled down to an M-1 for kicking a corrections officer when she was being patted down at the jail.

1 minute ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I think the pepper spray could be justified since she was kicking at the corrections officers but not the punch in the face. I had a woman on probation who was originally charged with a felony and got pled down to an M-1 for kicking a corrections officer when she was being patted down at the jail.

That makes sense.

7 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I did notice she kept screaming over and over and over I can't breathe. Apparently she was able to get a good lung full of air each time.

WSS

Had to be pepper sprayed. You can absolutely breath but it is most definitely short choppy breaths of awful. That was with me knowing it was coming. I don’t think dunce cap was aware of her predicament.