THE BROWNS BOARD

Possible changes to NFL schedule

The Gipper

17 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

after the wife, pimped me out to mow the neighbor's grass :) am back.. I was listening to Timmy the 12th caller on a radio show today & I had to agree with him that, TNF needs a additional bye week given by the league, in front of all of them. Each team plays in one. So each team would receive 10 days off before playing TNF & 10 days off after playing TNF..Play them where they like..London & China starts drinking by 7am 🍺 ..Thursday football on my tv by 6-7pm..life is good 

Or...how about having the Thursday night games be the  out of country games and do the byes like you say !!.  Oh...Except that wouldn't work either, because when it is Prime Time Thursday night here...say 8:00 PM, it would be  1:00 in the morning  in England, and like 2 AM in Germany/France.

I do rather like those  9:30 AM  Sunday NFL games that come on.

Though it would probably work well the other way....Japan, China games could be held in the afternoons, and be in Prime time here.

Screen_Time_Zone.jpg

6 minutes ago, Orion said:

I hear ya (again).

I don't even know how an idea like having healthy players sit out 2 games even gets to see daylight.  

Can you imagine?  Well, I can't play my Left Tackle for a couple of games...might as well start the backup QB those two weeks.  -  Doesn't all but one or two players play every week?

I know!!!!   For 2 games a year every team will have to play with just special teamers.....

....and now, a man with two buttocks....

Wait, don't all men/women have 2 buttocks?   Is  "Buttocks"   a plural, or a single noun?  Do we not have a "pair" of buttocks?  Should you have said "and now, a man with two pair of buttocks"  meaning that he would actually have  4 butt cheeks? 

Is this getting to sound like a Monty Python bit?   ...and question....do pythons have buttocks?  I don't think so.

This tells us why we have them apparently...but does not answer the original question....is buttocks considered a single entity, or not:

https://www.sbs.com.au/topics/science/humans/article/2016/06/29/ask-evolution-why-we-have-butt-cheeks

39 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Hello, McFly...is anybody home?  Of course the owners want something.   

Hmmm....well, yeah both sides want something. The owners pretty much have it all as it is. The players, especially the stars, have it great as well. 

My point is tinkering with the most successful league in the USA might not be a good idea. Goodell is a puppet for the Jerry Jones/greed monger owner types. Don't fix what's not broken.

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'd be fine if ALL the leagues shortened their seasons, to be honest.

14 games for the NFL, 140-148 games for MLB, 60ish games for NBA and NHL. 

For the love of dog, shorten the NBA and NHL playoff season. I swear it feels longer than the regular season sometimes. 

You want things shortened?   Then cut off your dick!

At least, that is how these league would feel that you are asking them if you ask to shorten the seasons...and reduce revenues.

Ve Vant the money Lebowski!

5 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Hmmm....well, yeah both sides want something. The owners pretty much have it all as it is. The players, especially the stars, have it great as well. 

My point is tinkering with the most successful league in the USA might not be a good idea. Goodell is a puppet for the Jerry Jones/greed monger owner types. Don't fix what's not broken.

Again, going to my go to guy.   But yes, teh greed monger JJ types do control things:

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Orion said:

...but perhaps coaches ARE opposed.  They may WANT their starters to get at least a half of football playing together before the first game.   So, preseason game 3 becomes the dress rehearsal.  (just sayin')  

coaches common rule of thumb is..the dress rehearsal, is pre-season game 3,till halftime..I've seen some pissed off coaches, give some starters 1 drive to start 3rd quarter..the 4th pre-season games? ..Owners should pay us to watch.. https://www.nfl.com/scores/2018/PRE4  (click stats to see who's playing them)     

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

coaches common rule of thumb is..the dress rehearsal, is pre-season game 3,till halftime..I've seen some pissed off coaches, give some starters 1 drive to start 3rd quarter..the 4th pre-season games? ..Owners should pay us to watch.. https://www.nfl.com/scores/2018/PRE4  (click stats to see who's playing them)     

Well....that is the "common rule of thumb"  when the NFL teams have 4 preseason games that they have to deal with.  If they only had  2-3, they would adjust and they would make that "dress rehearsal" one of the other games, 2d or 3rd.

I like that our dress rehearsal game is a team we don't play in regular season,,The Colts..after 2 intersquad practises the days before game..More reasons teams don't need 4th preseason games.. use intersquad practices & rehearsal & get going to game checks         Edit--Opps..we play Tampa PS3..Colts PS2

Preseason game 1- Starters play 1 quarter...

Preseason game 2- Starters play 1/2 game...

Preseason game 3- Starters play 3 quarters...

Preseason game 4- Starters sit...

That's one and a half games they are already playing that Do NOT count for anything. Make it 2 games that count and have only 2 preseason games. Quit crying and complaining, players are gonna play. If they don't want to play, get a real job.

54 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Well, it's not entirely scientific, but 62% of fans who responded think the schedule should be left alone....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/15/the-fans-seem-to-want-to-stick-with-16-games/

But 100% of the fans opinions do not matter.  Only the opinions of 31 people....plus player association reps matter.

Nevertheless, I basically agree with those opinions (and find that 62% seems low).

I mean, I don't know what the obsession seems to be with "growing the game" in foreign markets.  They make like 9 billion dollars a year....how much more do they need?  Is  it just basketball or soccer envy which games are played worldwide?  Who cares about that?   (Well...apparently NFL owners do)

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, JPPT1974 said:

And if they would just get rid of the Thursday night games. Then it could help the players rest a bit. 

Take my liquor 🥃 Take my wife 👰 but what would football junkies do with no Thursday Night football Lights? 🏟️  :D