THE BROWNS BOARD

Cape Cod League

Chicopee John

I will be on The Cape this week and expect to attend, at least one, Cape Cod League game. Arguably, the CC is the top summer collegiate league in the country.

Anybody follow this league and/or have any input into which players to keep my eye on?

Today's CC League players could very well be tomorrow's MLB stars.

I will be on The Cape this week and expect to attend, at least one, Cape Cod League game. Arguably, the CC is the top summer collegiate league in the country.

Anybody follow this league and/or have any input into which players to keep my eye on?

Today's CC League players could very well be tomorrow's MLB stars.

I don't think it's arguable, given their requirement to use wood bats.

Hell if I know who to watch but here are a couple of links:

http://www.capecodbaseball.org/Stats/Leaders.asp

http://www.churchofbaseball.com/2009/06/su...s-cape-cod.html

Have fun John!

Beanpot

• 4 weeks later...

Hope you had a good time, bud.

Here's Keith Law's take on the Cape AS game:

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Scouting reports off Cape all-star game

The Cape Cod League all-star game was rained out after 4½ innings at Fenway Park, leaving nine of the 18 pitchers on the rosters in the bullpen. The pitchers who threw probably deserve some slack as well, as it was hard to grip the ball and the grounds crew was powerless to keep the mound in decent shape through all the rain. Here are some notes on what I did get to see, plus a few bonus points at the end.

• UCLA lefty Rob Rasmussen threw 91-94 mph and showed all four of his pitches, including a plus curveball at 79-81 with sharp downward break and a cutter at 83-84. He's listed at a generous 5-foot-11 and is probably closer to 5-9, and hasn't had success in the spring, but has been dominant through four starts on the Cape, punching out 32 in 24 innings while allowing just six walks and six runs (four earned). Despite his diminutive stature, he works down in the zone and has good sink on his fastball.

• Sam Houston State right-hander Dallas Gallant threw his name in the parade of top college arms in the 2011 draft with a strong inning, showcasing a 91-93 mph fastball with good downhill plane and a plus curveball at 78-80 with serious depth and a sharp two-plane break. He lands on a very stiff front leg and cuts himself off slightly when he lands, so his command isn't great and he had trouble getting the fastball over to his glove side, but those two pitches as well as a low-80s slider at least give him the repertoire to be a starter.

• The offensive star of the game was Arkansas' Zack Cox, who smoked two hits, one out toward the triangle in center field, the other a sharp line-drive single to the opposite field. Cox, who'll be draft-eligible as a sophomore next June, is extremely short to the ball and makes very hard contact with good power, and just needs to show more patience at the plate next year to round out his offensive game.

• I've been asked a bit about West Virginia's Jedd Gyorko several times this summer after he got off to a hot start, and he does have good bat speed and is strongly built. He whips the bat through the zone and drifts a little onto his front foot, neither of which is a great sign for future power production. He also has no position and is probably either a DH or just a below-average left fielder in pro ball.

• Virginia Tech outfielder Austin Wates, on the other hand, pairs great bat speed with good athleticism and looks like a first-rounder for 2010. He's played left field for Yarmouth-Dennis but looks like he could handle center; he's played all over for Virginia Tech, including time at first base and second base in his first two years there.

• The more I see Georgia Tech shortstop Derek Dietrich, the less I like him as a pro prospect. Whoever decided he should play short this summer on the Cape made a bad call, as he can't handle the position at all and has put doubt into a lot of scouts' minds (as well as my own) as to where he might end up on the field; he's not obviously a good enough athlete to play second and his bat may not profile at third. At the plate, he has quick wrists and shows bat speed, and he'll run deep counts, but his swing mechanics are inconsistent and he doesn't see the ball at all against left-handed pitchers.

• Ohio State righty Alex Wimmers didn't make the all-star game but pitched on Wednesday night, showing perhaps the best curveball on the Cape this summer. His fastball at 88-91 mph has good arm-side run, enough that he has some trouble commanding the pitch, and the 73-75 mph curve is a potential out pitch, with a sharp, short, late downward break. He squared off against Indiana lefty Blake Monar, who kept hitters off balance despite below-average velocity (85-88) by changing his arm slot frequently and relying on good tailing life on the fastball. He's not a great pro prospect because of the fringy stuff, but if he improves his control (which is mediocre at best) he could be a draft somewhere after the fifth round.

• One note on this past June's draft: Multiple sources have told me Kansas City is close to an agreement with fourth-rounder Wil Myers for around $2 million, although the deal is not yet done.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index...;name=mlb_draft

Beanpot

Archived