THE BROWNS BOARD

Woman sentenced to 10 days in jail for feeding stray cats

Chemist

3 minutes ago, Chemist said:

I saw this on Fox 8 news.

The sentence was handed down by a magistrate, I heard today there’s going to be another sentencing.

2 hours ago, Chemist said:

In Garfield Heights, Ohio, it's considered a minor misdemeanor to offer food to stray cats and dogs, according to Cleveland.com. Nancy Segula, a resident of the city who has received multiple citations for feeding stray felines, was ordered by a judge last week to spend 10 days in jail, Fox 8 reports.

If it was a first offense I'd agree but multiple citations and she still does it so it appears maybe a harder penalty will get the message across.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jbluhm86 said:

According to Fox8, she was jailed for contempt of court. Apparently this lady was cited by the court several times for feeding strays, yet ignored the citations and kept doing it anyway.

miss the point Robin Hood NOT. The mayor is a lefty DEMOCRAT. That is all you needed to have known.

1 hour ago, Vambo said:

In Garfield Heights, Ohio, it's considered a minor misdemeanor to offer food to stray cats and dogs, according to Cleveland.com. Nancy Segula, a resident of the city who has received multiple citations for feeding stray felines, was ordered by a judge last week to spend 10 days in jail, Fox 8 reports.

If it was a first offense I'd agree but multiple citations and she still does it so it appears maybe a harder penalty will get the message across.

Do you think they should give her life in jail? “...maybe a harder penalty will get the message across.”

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

miss the point Robin Hood NOT. The mayor is a lefty DEMOCRAT. That is all you needed to have known.

http://www.garfieldhts.org/News

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Re: Nancy Segula

The Mayor, the Garfield Heights Police Department and the City of Garfield Heights as a whole have received quite a bit of criticism after hearing that a 79-year-old female was sentenced to jail for feeding stray cats.  Many have contacted the Police Department and City Hall to express their concerns.    

It is important to note that the Animal Warden has received numerous complaints regarding this issue from other residents in the area of Mrs. Segula’s home, dating back to early 2015.  Once aware of the issue, the Animal Warden attempted to work with Mrs. Segula to humanely clear  the area of the cats and advised her of the city ordinance prohibiting feeding strays.  Mrs. Segula was also made aware of her neighbors’ concerns, however, she continued to feed the cats.  

In June of 2015, she was cited for feeding cats and convicted of that charge in July of 2015.

In May of 2017, she was cited for various charges related to feeding cats at her residence. In July of 2017, she was convicted of having too many cats at her residence and she was placed on probation.

In August of 2017, Mrs. Segula was cited for failing to properly dispose of animal waste related to the numerous cats at her house and for continuing to feed stray cats.  Waste was often being found on her neighbors’ property.  In November of 2017, she was convicted of the “failure to dispose” charge and placed on 2 years probation.  One of the terms of her probation was that she was not permitted to feed stray cats, which she ignored.  

It is important to note that at her May, 2019 probation violation hearing, she was again advised not to feed stray cats and her 10-day sentence was “stayed,” meaning it was suspended with the understanding that she would comply with the court order.  At the review hearing last week, the Magistrate found that she was still feeding stray cats, which she freely admitted, and sentenced her to 10 days for “contempt of court.”

Mrs. Segula has never been arrested by the Police Department or the Animal Warden, she has been cited and summoned into court to respond to the numerous city ordinance violations and probation violations. The Animal Warden simply presented the facts of the case in court and the Magistrate issued his decision(s)/sentence.  

Our department and the City as a whole recognize that many are passionate about pets and animals in general.  We are also aware that many do not feel the same way.  

Feeding strays is a violation of City Ordinance 505.23 and violation of this ordinance often results in a large number of cats moving into one area and thereby creating a nuisance for neighbors, which happened in this matter.  Over a period of time, the Animal Warden has removed 22 cats from Mrs. Segula’s house.  The Warden turns the stray cats over to Forever Friends, a local rescue organization, where the cats are spayed or neutered, receive appropriate medical attention and placed for adoption.  

Our only intention in this case was to enforce the city ordinance and to alleviate a nuisance situation created by Mrs. Segula.

----------------

Once again, you rush into a subject blindly, and - once again -  you prove yourself to be a dumbass.

10 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Do you think they should give her life in jail? “...maybe a harder penalty will get the message across.”

Once you delve deeper into the details of her case, the woman becomes much less sympathetic. While I agree that throwing the woman into ADX Florence for life would be extreme overkill, a few days in county jail for repeatedly violating the same law seems reasonable. Being obstinate about one's terms of probation never bodes well for staying out of jail.

4 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

Once you delve deeper into the details of her case, the woman becomes much less sympathetic. While I agree that throwing the woman into ADX Florence for life would be extreme overkill, a few days in county jail for repeatedly violating the same law seems reasonable. Being obstinate about one's terms of probation never bodes well for staying out of jail.

She keeps pushing the envelope where it is at the point where she either has to be incarcerated or they will need to  change the prohibition law  against feeding cats. When one is on probation the most harsh penalties are reserved for the worst violations and minor violations such as this just get ratcheted up until you reach the harsher punishment and that seems to be the case here. Give her 10 days jail and release her after a day or two to send a message but if she continues violating probation rules then have her serve out the rest of the 10 days jail.

1 hour ago, jbluhm86 said:

Here's a novel idea, how about Garfield Heights Animal Control do their job?

I mean it's only been a problem with stray cats for 5 years and counting.

It shouldn't be up to the citizens to feed stray animals.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Canton Dawg said:

Here's a novel idea, how about Garfield Heights Animal Control do their job?

I mean it's only been a problem with stray cats for 5 years and counting.

It shouldn't be up to the citizens to feed stray animals.

The cats end up in shelters ran by the county and everyone gets stuck with the tab of caring for them or having them euthanized. This lady is paying out of pocket for the cats. If anything she is saving everyone a buck and the city is spazzing over it. 

While she is in jail, those cats will be wrecking trash and killing anything they can get ahold of (birds, squirrels, etc) that people generally like to have around.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

The cats end up in shelters ran by the county and everyone gets stuck with the tab of caring for them or having them euthanized. This lady is paying out of pocket for the cats. If anything she is saving everyone a buck and the city is spazzing over it. 

While she is in jail, those cats will be wrecking trash and killing anything they can get ahold of (birds, squirrels, etc) that people generally like to have around.

Trap, neuter, release is the way to go.  

• Upvote 2

It might sound harsh or heartless -BUT- among other things why are there so many stray cats? Because people feed stray cats......and then they go out and multiply exponentially!

Ask anyone who runs a shelter it is out of control. The old lady should donate or volunteer at a shelter.

There, I'm a heartless bastard.  :mad:

17 minutes ago, hammertime said:

If I lived next to her I’d want her to serve 10 years.

cats piss everywhere, feral cats are a nuisance and not safe.(fleas, parasites etc)

its no no fun living next to people like that, ever hear cats in heat or fighting....

Cats suck.

I've had cats since I was a little kid so I disagree with you.  I've stepped in a lot more dog shit than cat shit.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I've had cats since I was a little kid so I disagree with you.  I've stepped in a lot more dog shit than cat shit.

A couple cats is lot different than what this lady had and was creating.

ive seen first hand how out of

control it gets feeding feral cats.  Nothing worse than aholes who don’t pick up after their pets 

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

i would have never pegged ur crusty old ass as a cat person. Take note everyone, on this day the 31st of july in the year of our skywizard 2000 +19.....+1 to Diehard for being a cat lady.

40 minutes ago, hammertime said:

A couple cats is lot different than what this lady had and was creating.

ive seen first hand how out of

control it gets feeding feral cats.  Nothing worse than aholes who don’t pick up after their pets 

id prob have to agree even tho i love both cats and dogs. Too many of either becomes a zoo. And 50 cats hanging around a neighborhood brawling into the wee hours of tge morning would make me have to russian tie snap an old lady.

3 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

i would have never pegged ur crusty old ass as a cat person. Take note everyone, on this day the 31st of july in the year of our skywizard 2000 +19.....+1 to Diehard for being a cat lady.

I was never a cat person, always been a huge dog lover but I had a new appreciation for cats after seeing this video: