THE BROWNS BOARD

Well, by golly, OHIO STATE FAIR - went there today !

calfoxwc

We left home early this morning, drove the 2 whatever hrs to the Ohio State Fair. I researched the fair CCW policy. It said you can conceal carry fine, except you can't go into any government buildings at the fair. So, I left it at home. dammit.

When we got there - they have a metal detector and I talked to the Ohio HIghway Patrolman there. I asked about concealed carry, and he took me aside (it was noisy with tractor shuttles and people talking) and checked my ccw license, and I explained I didn't have it with me, left it at home, and we both laughed about that.

Turns out, he was a GREAT guy, and he explained:

Yes, you can conceal carry at the Ohio State fair. Let the officer know at the metal detector first, then he will check your license and your gun, and you're good.

Except, going into any gov building with a concealed carry...is a felony !

But wait, the good part is:

He grinned and said the honest truth is, you can conceal carry outside of government buildings all you want to - but if you need/want to go into any of the buildings... you should just pull up your shirt and OPEN CARRY into the building ! and THAT is FINE ! I said "Sir, you aren't pulling my leg..." and he grinned and said, "no, not at all, It's true".

He also told me about some kids last year? that carried, openly, and AR15 into the fair. Some security guy detained them for a while, etc.

And...wait for it...the young people sued the security agency. I told the officer I felt they should have been detained.

We both agreed it's very bad to leave our guns in our vehicles- he never does, like me, but rarely, not for long...he just leaves it at home when he's off duty.

I mentioned that I would have thought it would be be the opposite - can't open carry into buildings etc.

So, that is nice to know. but strange, as you enter the building, you open carry, and you can go back to concealed carry as you leave the building.

But, on a very sad note: today is July 30. I didn't know that Hank Williams JR. did a show on the 27th. I would have seriously wanted to go see him in concert in Ohio anywhere.

dammit.

P.S. the Ohio State fair is really great. The activities are many - kids kayaking, fishing, a LOT of rides, natural resource exhibits - owls hawks, camel rides, a lot of percheron horses. Some of them are HUGE. Real bald eagles, the usual lambs/pigs/cows/rabbits/goats....lumberjack shows....so many different types of food - very cool skylift from one side to the other, only 3 bucks a person....arts/crafts...jetski simulator....and apparently, helicopter rides. and excellent time. as always, check on their ccw policy from an expert.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

The last time I went to the Ohio state fair has been a few years ago. Red Skelton was the entertainment in the grandstands. OK ..it has been more than just a few years ago LOL.

Most of these guys have no idea who Red Skelton is.

5 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Most of these guys have no idea who Red Skelton is.

Recently I saw an infomercial selling dvd's of Red Skelton's old television shows. On live television like they had in the 50's you had to be sharp and ready to react for the unexpected and Red was great at ad libbing sketches that didn't go as planned. 

58 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Was he the “king of the one liners”? Vaguely remember that from my grandpa.

No Red Skelton was a character comedian. When he had  a regular variety show  he would do sketches in various characters . Henny Youngman the classic borscht belt comic was the king of the one-liners.

WSS

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OldBrownsFan said:

It was a different era. He was a talented comedian in a different time.  

He was a talented artist also went to his gallery in O'ahu, Hawaii right off of Waikiki Beach when I was first there in 1979.

Definitely a 1940s 1950s, 1960s era comic and entertainer.

• Upvote 1

I have not been to the Ohio State Fair since 1994 was the last time I ever went and the time before that was 1989. Nothing there really gets my attention, I only been to the County fair where I live 3 times in the last 30 plus years. Used to go every year and every day when I was a kid but I don't do rides any more, don't play games and the kids don't want me with them lol now that they are a little older so I am fine with that. Hope you had fun Cal. Oh and not that anybody asked but I live in Jefferson county 

6 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

The last time I went to the Ohio state fair has been a few years ago. Red Skelton was the entertainment in the grandstands. OK ..it has been more than just a few years ago LOL.

I gave a co-worker that dyes his beard and he looks like the spitting image of red Skelton playing a hobo

4 minutes ago, The Cysko Kid said:

I gave a co-worker that dyes his beard and he looks like the spitting image of red Skelton playing a hobo

Red Skelton lived in a different time and era but he was a very talented comedian. Especially when it was improvisation. He didn't need a lot of props he could go off in a dozen different directions with one (and that is gifted talent). This is from wikileaks:

In Groucho and Me, Groucho Marx called Skelton "the most unacclaimed clown in show business", and "the logical successor to [Charlie] Chaplin", largely because of his ability to play a multitude of characters with minimal use of dialogue and props. "With one prop, a soft battered hat", Groucho wrote, describing a performance he had witnessed, "he successfully converted himself into an idiot boy, a peevish old lady, a teetering-tottering drunk, an overstuffed clubwoman, a tramp, and any other character that seemed to suit his fancy. No grotesque make-up, no funny clothes, just Red.

3 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

I hate your hokey faux Andy Griffith gee whiz, by golly, you betcha that's some mighty fine root beer persona more than I could ever describe. 

You talkin to ME? ask Canton Mike if I'm really like...me.😎