THE BROWNS BOARD

Anyone Seen "Yesterday" yet?

I grew up with the Beatles. I liked that whole British invasion of the mid 60's but the Beatles were the ones who started it. About 10 years ago my son talked me into going to a Beatles concert with orchestra music playing Beatles songs. That did not sound good at all but he was persistent so I went. It was better than anything I could have expected. They had a Beatles look alike group playing and the orchestra accompanied the songs. Not only did these guys look like the Beatles they nailed every song almost to perfection and the orchestra provided the background. I listened to every Beatle album growing up and they had orchestra music in much of their music and when I closed my eyes at this concert it sounded like I was listening to the records.

• Upvote 2

Steve - I live closer to Dayton but I have cousins who live in Cleveland and I remember when I visited them in the 60's they were always talking about Terry Knight and the Pack. They were popular in Cleveland at the time. Curious if you had heard of them. I googled them and saw where Mark Farner of Grand Funk Railroad was their guitar player at the time. On a side note Grand Funk Railroad is my choice for a group who should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and aren't. 

50's rock and roll was before my time but from what I know about it, it was an American invention that was exciting at the time with Elvis, Chuck Berry and others. When I first started listening to AM radio as a little shaver in the early 60's my recollection was rock and roll had really died out and the music was uninspired and bland IMO. What was happening in England though was a different story and they were taking American rock and roll and adding a British twist to it and later brought it back to America (Beatles on Ed Sullivan) in a new and exciting way. Because it was a different time and a less information age only a few people knew what was happening  in England with groups like the Beatles. When the Beatles exploded on the scene with the other British invasion bands for me listening to AM radio changed dramatically. Now we had something new but it wasn't really new just American rock and roll with a British flavor.

• Upvote 1

Well I'm 66. I didn't live in the Cleveland area when I was a kid I was in Carrollton if you still high oh until I was about nine on and off at which point my father remarried oh, mom died when I was five, and he went to Texas to work for Pfizer and some other places. Back and forth to Carrollton and then Akron area in the 9th grade. Then we moved to Norton and I've been there  or Akron or the vicinity  all along. But whlo was Ram rock and roll station and I was a huge fan of Terry Knight and the pack. Not so much Grand Funk but they do have their place.

I've been a musician almost all of my life so my musical tastes dig a little bit deeper than just the top 40. It annoys me that classic rock stations seem to have the same 50 songs they play over and over. There was so much cool stuff out there.

WSS

19 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I've been a musician almost all of my life so my musical tastes dig a little bit deeper than just the top 40. It annoys me that classic rock stations seem to have the same 50 songs they play over and over. There was so much cool stuff out there.

WSS

Like "Does your chewing gum lose it's flavor on the bedpost overnight? "(especially if your sleeping with the Girl From Ipanema).🤗😁

12 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I have a good buddy from New Zealand, I'm older than I am who is a huge Lonnie Donegan fan

WSS

And I took a picture of a woman who had walked by me on the beach in Akumal and from that angle she looks everything like you would expect from the Ipanema song (and when she passes each one she passes goes "Ahhhhhh".)😜😍 The view is so curvy it makes me dizzy.😵😁