THE BROWNS BOARD

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood review

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Sony
R                        165 min

I’m going to issue a spoiler alert here oh, if you’re a fan of QT, I’m hoping you will see this film before you read anybody’s reviews. I did and the surprises make it all the better.

Friends Quentin Tarantino is a weird son of a bitch. He came out of the gate like a runaway train almost 30 years ago with RESERVOIR DOGS and it seems like every film has gotten a little bit stranger a little bit more outrageous but just about every time completely riveting. He frequently steps way over the two hour line but almost never gives you a chance to look at your watch. Frankly it’s no longer sacrilegious to mention his name in the same sentence with the great directors of all time. As a matter of fact he’s probably the premier (besides the Coen brothers) living director that gets me in line for a ticket no matter what the subject matter or the cast might be. On my way in to the earliest show I had a quick chat with one of my friends at the Regal Montrose who gave me his basic take,  no actual details but a general thought. After I watched ONCE UPON A TIME KN HOLLYWOOD I believe he was right. What you may ask? Well, we both agreed this is probably Quentin Tarantino’s most mature film. Rather than rely on complete craziness plot tricks, jumping around the timeline, and Ultraviolence, this is more of an in-depth study of two friends, Rick Dalton (Leonardo DiCaprio) a fading Hollywood star holding on to his last bit of fame and his best friend Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt) sidekick and stunt double. Each of these fellows has a built-in self destruct mechanism, Dalton his drinking and irresponsibility and Booth his anger issues, which keep them from the success they long for. In fact Dalton had once been the star of a very successful TV series but unwisely chose to jump the fence in hopes of a film career which never really took off. He will reluctantly take some rolls in spaghetti westerns, from a somewhat Shifty agent played by Al Pacino, unfortunately more along the lines of the Terence Hill series (MY NAMED IS NOBODY) than Clint Eastwood’s.  This story is set against a backdrop 60s music and TV commercials and pop culture with a much more sinister substory. During his downtime Booth makes the acquaintance of an attractive hippie girl who leads him to a commune on the outskirts of Hollywood. Even though the cult leader is mostly referred to by others rather than on screen it’s apparent that this is the Manson  family, and Rick and Cliff inadvertently wind up on their bad side. 
No don’t forget I issued a spoiler alert so I hope you aren’t reading this until you have left the theater. This is where ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD shows a similarity to INGLORIOUS BASTARDS. I’ve heard people complaining about continuity and historic accuracy. And while Tarantino loves to show old commercials and play old music we know he doesn’t really care that much about spot-on historical fact. Here members of the Manson family actually wind up at Rick’s house and the plan to murder the movie producers and starlets sort of takes a wrong turn finding no one at home except the very formidable Booth who will…. Well I’m not going to tell you everything but you won’t find it in any textbooks. 
Like so much of Tarantino’s work this is compelling and extremely entertaining. Unlike some of his other work it’s not nearly as gratuitously violet and it leans a lot less toward shock and awe. It’s a left-of-center buddy film and again I issue Quentin Tarantino an….
A
WSS

Just in case there is too much given away I will read this when we get back from seeing it tomorrow on lower priced senior day at the theater. We haven't been to a movie in quite a while and now two in two days. I did see the bottom line score of "A" so looking forward to it Steve.

• Upvote 1

Funny how I commented earlier today about riding around with a friend in his dad's MG TF with the top down and low and behold right there in this movie is a 1962 MG TD, very similar in appearance. Anyway we both loved the character development/acting of the two "stars" as has been cowboy and his double/best friend. Another spoiler-I figured out as soon as he did his first scene with Brad Pitt that the watchdog was going to end up with a key part in another alternative reality ending by Tarantino. Their scene together at the beginning was just so natural between a guy and the dog who loves him that also has the ability to be a fierce defender of his owner.

I have a friend who lives not too far from me that spent 40+ years as a cameraman in Hollywood films (almost drowned when filming the scene with the black rubber boats coming off the Russian sub in "Hunt For Red October") and see what his take is on the actual scenes in this film behind the movie making business. He also worked on "The American President" and many others.

• 6 months later...

Should have won IMO.  

I am sure Parasite is a good movie.  But...we had our view on this:  Steve and I agree that it should have been limited to the International Film category....or that all movies should be included in Best Picture, and the International Film category should be eliminated.

• Upvote 1