THE BROWNS BOARD

Bottled Water vs. Tap Water

I was reading this article on putting stricter guidelines on labeling bottled water. Saying that the FDA sees over issues pertaining to bottled water and the EPA over tap water. The article is basically saying that the FDA has little or now power to punish the bottled water industry when the EPA can regulate the quality of tap water.

Tap vs. Bottle

I drink bottled water, which I know could be worse for me then tap water. But, I can totally taste the difference. What is your guys take on this? I have actually heard Giant Eagle and Walmart bottled water has something like 5+ cancer causing agents that are not regulated, that are not in most tap waters. What do you think?

p.s. If their is any mention of Obama, Bush, Palin or F-ing Oprah, please delete this thread.

p.s. If their is any mention of Obama, Bush, Palin or F-ing Oprah, please delete this thread.

Seriously, that is funny !

I think a high grade bottled water, like Dasani, is far higher quality than many cities' water.

We have a well, and with a water softener, it tastes outstanding, and is very, very high quality per tests.

I know I have heard and seen reports of city water analysis - you would be shocked to see the trace garbage

in a lot of city water.

Many years ago, we drank water right out of the lake we camped on, in Central Ontario. The ranger's wife told us they tested it every year,

and it was nearly pure. Water like that... wow. You go back to the city and drink a bit of chlorinated clear stuff,

and it is nasty til you get used to it again....

Seriously, that is funny !

I think a high grade bottled water, like Dasani, is far higher quality than many cities' water.

We have a well, and with a water softener, it tastes outstanding, and is very, very high quality per tests.

I know I have heard and seen reports of city water analysis - you would be shocked to see the trace garbage

in a lot of city water.

Many years ago, we drank water right out of the lake we camped on, in Central Ontario. The ranger's wife told us they tested it every year,

and it was nearly pure. Water like that... wow. You go back to the city and drink a bit of chlorinated clear stuff,

and it is nasty til you get used to it again....

Well I am in Euclid and not sure about their water. I like the taste of spring water, but then again I had 3 cavities last visit to the dentist, I am thinking because no floride. I don't eat sweets very much at all. Maybe I should use the Britta filter? Does it filter out floride?

I wouldn't think any filter would filter out fluoride...

I'd just use a fluoride toothpaste, and get a nice, QUALITY filter for your drinking water.

I hear you want to replace the filter inserts on a regular basis per recommendations.

I don't think Dasani is a high-quality drinking water...it is just the purified water Coca Cola bottles. It's the water Coke uses to add their syrup to in creating their sodas.

We drink Arrowhead water out of the big ass delivered bottles/dispenser. Many bottled water brands (Crystal Geyser???) contained Chromium VI, and I remember researching Arrowhead brand as one not containing Chromium VI.

I remember living in California that the tap water tastes terrible and just about everyone drinks bottled water. I drink tap water here in Parma, why waste money. Besides, I heard that the plastic can add bad chemicals to the water.

Here's a good article:

Which plastic water bottles don't leach chemicals?

by Vreni Gurd | Thu, 03/29/2007

Choose your water bottles very carefully in order to prevent chemicals in the plastic from leaching into your water.

Plastic water bottles are very convenient for carting water around when we are on the go, as they don't break if we drop them. However, it is worth paying attention to the type of plastic your water bottle is made of, to ensure that the chemicals in the plastic do not leach into the water. If you taste plastic, you are drinking it, so get yourself another bottle.

To be certain that you are choosing a bottle that does not leach, check the recycling symbol on your bottle. If it is a #2 HDPE (high density polyethylene), or a #4 LDPE (low density polyethylene), or a #5 PP (polypropylene), your bottle is fine. The type of plastic bottle in which water is usually sold is usually a #1, and is only recommended for one time use. Do not refill it. Better to use a reusable water bottle, and fill it with your own filtered water from home and keep these single-use bottles out of the landfill.

Unfortunately, those fabulous colourful hard plastic lexan bottles made with polycarbonate plastics and identified by the #7 recycling symbol, may leach BPA. Bisphenol A is a xenoestrogen, a known endocrine disruptor, meaning it disturbs the hormonal messaging in our bodies. Synthetic xenoestrogens are linked to breast cancer and uterine cancer in women, decreased testosterone levels in men, and are particularly devastating to babies and young children. BPA has even been linked to insulin resistance and Type 2 Diabetes. For more of the science on the effects of BPA on our endocrine system etc. see these studies: Environmental Health Perspectives Journal. Nalgene, the company that manufactures the lexan water bottles also makes #2 HDPE bottles in the same sizes and shapes, so we have a viable alternative. Order one at Nalgene.

Unfortunately, most plastic baby bottles and drinking cups are made with plastics containing Bisphenol A. In 2006 Europe banned all products made for children under age 3 containing BPA, and as of Dec. 2006 the city of San Franscisco followed suit. In March 2007 a billion-dollar class action suit was commenced against Gerber, Playtex, Evenflo, Avent, and Dr. Brown's in Los Angeles superior court for harm done to babies caused by drinking out of baby bottles and sippy cups containing BPA. So, to be certain that your baby is not exposed, use glass bottles.

Check the recycling numbers on all your plastic food containers as well, and gradually move to storing all food in glass or ceramic.

Store water in glass or brass if possible, and out of direct sunlight.

We use Nalgene bottles to take to the gym and such, so don't necessarily be scared by the "7":

UPDATE:Nalgene no longer sells water bottles made with Bisphenol A. Number 7 as a plastic type means any plastic that is not in the first six, so having number 7 on the bottom does not necessarily mean that it contains BPA.

I have well and City water in my house. My children prefer the well (like Cal we have a softner and reverse osmosis filtration system). I had the city water installed because of the flouride content.. But since I have 2 different reverse osmosis filtration systems the water from either source virtually tastes the same.

I know that the plastic used in bottled water is porous so it will depending on how long it is stored and where will take on other flavors. The chemicals in the plastic is a major problem because it breaks down.

I prefer my well water that is filtered and drink out of a reusable metal water bottle. I think filtering your city water will give you equal if not greater quality than bottled as long as it is in a metal bottle.

The other HUGE problem the AP recently exposed about city water filtration and sources are the prescription drugs that are in almost every city water system. from growth hormones to birth control/rittalin etc... pretty scary.

If you don't like the tap water in your area....some taste fine, others not so fine...a good charcoal filter is all you need....be it a unit on the fridge, tap, or one of the pitcher models.

People complain about paying $3 a gallon for gasoline yet have no problem paying $8 a gallon for bottled spring water.

WTF????

About 3 years ago the city came through and put in new water lines so we could be on the grid. But who wants all that flouride in their water plus not to mention all the damn prozac thats being flushed into the rivers and streams from human waste. who needs it?

I have a well and use a filter plus I go through about 2 cases of bottled water a week, but nothing will beat out the fresh filtered berkey water.

http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/

Big_Berkey__48ffac49e042e.jpg

About 3 years ago the city came through and put in new water lines so we could be on the grid. But who wants all that flouride in their water plus not to mention all the damn prozac thats being flushed into the rivers and streams from human waste. who needs it?

I have a well and use a filter plus I go through about 2 cases of bottled water a week, but nothing will beat out the fresh filtered berkey water.

http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/

Big_Berkey__48ffac49e042e.jpg

LOL. A guy at my old job had one of these and he literally wanted to marry it. There was running joke about it. But a good idea none the less. I think this is the best and cheapest option. I myself drink about 2 cases of bottled water a week, no shit. I think I am diabetic sometimes. So you figure at $4 a case $32/mo and $384 bucks a year! Never realized it. Thanks for the input.

Hey T, I was looking to get the biggest one, but it "maxes out" at 8 filters? Do you have to use 8 filters or do you just need 2 to start?

We do 5gal bottle delivery of Distilled. Wife read that it was the best for kids/formula. Having boiled tap water to make beer/moonshine once or twice *ahem*, I agreed & that's what we go with now.

I clean the hot/cold dispenser tower once a month.

We do 5gal bottle delivery of Distilled. Wife read that it was the best for kids/formula. Having boiled tap water to make beer/moonshine once or twice *ahem*, I agreed & that's what we go with now.

I clean the hot/cold dispenser tower once a month.

"Distilled water is empty water and it will help to draw out the toxins from the body. However prolonged usage will leach vital minerals and vitamins from the body."

LOL. A guy at my old job had one of these and he literally wanted to marry it. There was running joke about it. But a good idea none the less. I think this is the best and cheapest option. I myself drink about 2 cases of bottled water a week, no shit. I think I am diabetic sometimes. So you figure at $4 a case $32/mo and $384 bucks a year! Never realized it. Thanks for the input.

Hey T, I was looking to get the biggest one, but it "maxes out" at 8 filters? Do you have to use 8 filters or do you just need 2 to start?

You can go with just 2 filters. the rate of flow depends on how much water you have in the upper container.

2 - flouride filters. You dont have to use the 8 it comes with caps for the others.

Archived