THE BROWNS BOARD

Eric Kush to get “first shot” at grabbing starting RG spot

Vambo

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/8/25/20832282/cleveland-browns-eric-kush-to-get-first-shot-at-grabbing-rg-spot

Cleveland Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens made it official - at least for the moment - on Saturday.

Eric Kush is going to open the season as the team’s starting right guard.

Kush has spent time with the first-team offensive line through each of the Browns first three preseason games, topping out on Friday by playing all 44 offensive snaps with the starters against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Forums

Kush finished the season with a grade of 56.5 from Pro Football Focus, which ranked him as the 52nd best guard in the league.

And now he will be one of the five men charged with protecting quarterback Baker Mayfield.

It's a shame Corbett hasn't been able to find a starting role in 2 camps after being drafted so high. Kush is a stop gap, hopefully he makes the most of his shot. He's a grinder and hopefully we can run on our right side, and Baker can make up for any pass rush deficiency Kush may cause by by being prepared and quick.

Joe Thuney and Shaq Moss ... the guards the Patriot have been winning Super Bowls with were 3rd and 4th round picks, Dorsey and co. can find us another guard next year, just give all you've got in 2019 Kushie!

Zombo

15 minutes ago, TypicalBrowns50 said:

O line may be an issue this year, as we all have feared

True, but I have faith in our receivers and RBs providing Baker with quick "outs" from longer designed plays if PP breaks down fast. He's smarter than the average 2nd year QB about that. Always seems to know where to go or how to safely rid himself of the ball OOB legally.

Corbett has looked better at Center than RG (not saying much)...

I wonder why Tretter is not being evaluated at RG with Corbett back-filling for him???

Tretter could still make line calls from RG if need be.

that move by kush agsinst suh is understandable....thats an OL last resort when faced with this irresistible force tgat suh can bring. Ur realize u cant bench this guy so maybe u put ur helmet in his chest.....im not gonna be too hard on kush cause thats ndamakung suh, still one of strongest dudes in the NFL. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

that move by kush agsinst suh is understandable....thats an OL last resort when faced with this irresistible force tgat suh can bring. Ur realize u cant bench this guy so maybe u put ur helmet in his chest.....im not gonna be too hard on kush cause thats ndamakung suh, still one of strongest dudes in the NFL. 

Suh has always been an absolute beast, and I don't want to judge Kush TOO much on one game, but what has me worried is how bad Kush looked against a basic swim move.  Suh didn't really use power or really any force, he just did a swim move and Kush completely whiffed.  Baker somehow got away and delivered a strike for a rare first down, but Suh really should've eaten Baker alive.  I can find the gif if you want to see it, but it was pretty bad.  It's the kind of mistake that can literally get your QB killed and end a season.  

RG position  -  Roster cuts are coming soon.  

Corbett's a bum.  Dorsey deserves a break because of all of the great draft picks and deeper draft finds of his, right?  Fuck no!  He and his posse had all night and all day to pick what amounts to a late 1st round pick.  And the guy they picked sent us all searching through our draft sheets trying find his name.  :unsure:

Dorsey is great!  The team we have now, that everyone is buzzing about , is his team, his vision and his doing.  But that Corbett pick is a blown opportunity that he has to own. 

11 hours ago, Orion said:

RG position  -  Roster cuts are coming soon.  

Corbett's a bum.  Dorsey deserves a break because of all of the great draft picks and deeper draft finds of his, right?  Fuck no!  He and his posse had all night and all day to pick what amounts to a late 1st round pick.  And the guy they picked sent us all searching through our draft sheets trying find his name.  :unsure:

Dorsey is great!  The team we have now, that everyone is buzzing about , is his team, his vision and his doing.  But that Corbett pick is a blown opportunity that he has to own. 

So you're saying there's a chance?😂

44 minutes ago, Orion said:

ok, perhaps he's a slow developer.  

advance scouting from the steelqueers d front from the other night..Corbett having to see Tuitt or Hayward would make him cry 😥..it'd be embarrassing for our coaches to have to prove this to Dorsey..Kush ain't ready either 

16 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Suh has always been an absolute beast, and I don't want to judge Kush TOO much on one game, but what has me worried is how bad Kush looked against a basic swim move.  Suh didn't really use power or really any force, he just did a swim move and Kush completely whiffed.  Baker somehow got away and delivered a strike for a rare first down, but Suh really should've eaten Baker alive.  I can find the gif if you want to see it, but it was pretty bad.  It's the kind of mistake that can literally get your QB killed and end a season.  

yeah but that move was set up by the previous plays. Suh went bench press, bench press....sssswwiiimmmmm. Thats why im always so high on defensive lineman with an above avg bullrush....it sets up their finesse moves.

Id have to see Kush's full body of work the whole game, if he was getting utterly obliterated and needed help on every down....then ok. But if he was left on suh island for a bunch of plays then got wore down before thst swim move, then not too terribly concerned. Thats how DL lije Suh make their money, they put u in a powerlifting meet for a bunch of plays and  just wait for thst facemask to look down so they can slap n swim around u. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

yeah but that move was set up by the previous plays. Suh went bench press, bench press....sssswwiiimmmmm. Thats why im always so high on defensive lineman with an above avg bullrush....it sets up their finesse moves.

Id have to see Kush's full body of work the whole game, if he was getting utterly obliterated and needed help on every down....then ok. But if he was left on suh island for a bunch of plays then got wore down before thst swim move, then not too terribly concerned. Thats how DL lije Suh make their money, they put u in a powerlifting meet for a bunch of plays and  just wait for thst facemask to look down so they can slap n swim around u. 

That's a good point, too.  He definitely set him up, which is why Kush completely whiffed and damn near hit only air.  I guess it's kind of like a WR setting up the stop and go.  They run the button-hook a few times, and then they fake it and go deep.  The Browns podcast people said Kush was having a difficult time with Suh, but then we rotated our protection so Kush had additional help.  Once that move was made, they said the difference was night and day.  I didn't go back to review it, but that's what our Podcast peeps said, and that makes sense.  Apparently our OL wasn't expecting the amount of stunts and twists either, which I don't really buy as an excuse, but whatever.  🙂

I think we'll be "ok", and if Kush isn't the guy, I don't think we'll hesitate to try Drew Forbes.  It's so hard to evaluate the offense without ALL of the starters in, ya know?  I mean, Baker essentially threw two TD passes, and Higgins and Harris dropped them both.  They would have been tough plays to make, but still plays we expect them to make.  Had we caught those two passes, the end of the game narrative is much different.  Also, how much different does our team look with Nick Chubb?  

9 hours ago, gumby73 said:

advance scouting from the steelqueers d front from the other night..Corbett having to see Tuitt or Hayward would make him cry 😥..it'd be embarrassing for our coaches to have to prove this to Dorsey..Kush ain't ready either 

Adam The Bull said that Dorsey will be trading for an OLineman in the next few days.  -  Wonder if he could get us Zeitler.  lol

56 minutes ago, Orion said:

Adam The Bull said that Dorsey will be trading for an OLineman in the next few days.  -  Wonder if he could get us Zeitler.  lol

Meet Bullwinkle my Bull ;) 1tD.gif     says Dorsey thinks Baker has this Superman Cape that can make lineman play above their true Talents.. that kind of Hokus Pokus won't work, imo.. Dorsey needs to stick to loving their talents over past friendships..We have seen enough of past coaches & Gm's letting players stick around for the love of player.. Let's see what JD pulls out of the hat? He's left top 5 in cap money for a reason i believe 🤞   

• Haha 2