THE BROWNS BOARD

Sorry Woody and Clevis

Los Angeles Times
AUG 29, 2019
 BREAKING NEWS 

There is no single ‘gay gene,’ study finds

A study that analyzed the DNA of nearly half a million people has found that though genetic differences play a significant role in sexual orientation, there is no single gene responsible.

The findings, described in the journal Science, debunk the idea of a so-called singular gay gene.

Read the latest
  • Haha 2

Now look who's trying to have a "gotcha moment". Hate to burst your bubble.

Here's the actual study the LA Times references, and the conclusions of the scientists involved:

"...Twin studies and other analyses of inheritance of sexual orientation in humans has indicated that same-sex sexual behavior has a genetic component. Previous searches for the specific genes involved have been underpowered and thus unable to detect genetic signals. Ganna et al. perform a genome-wide association study on 493,001 participants from the United States, the United Kingdom, and Sweden to study genes associated with sexual orientation (see the Perspective by Mills). They find multiple loci implicated in same-sex sexual behavior indicating that, like other behavioral traits, nonheterosexual behavior is polygenic...

...Same-sex sexual behavior is influenced by not one or a few genes but many. Overlap with genetic influences on other traits provides insights into the underlying biology of same-sex sexual behavior, and analysis of different aspects of sexual preference underscore its complexity and call into question the validity of bipolar continuum measures such as the Kinsey scale. Nevertheless, many uncertainties remain to be explored, including how sociocultural influences on sexual preference might interact with genetic influences. To help communicate our study to the broader public, we organized workshops in which representatives of the public, activists, and researchers discussed the rationale, results, and implications of our study."

In layman's terms; there is indeed no singular "gay gene". Same-sex orientation arises, in part, due to multiple genes/genetic effects, along with sociological influences. Meaning that homosexuality does indeed have a biological basis, and is a part of the "natural law" of biology.

oops.gif.f2313d771ea3ccc2cb30cf0edbcd1342.gif

CBS News: Is there a "gay gene"? Major new study says no

There's no such thing as a single "gay gene" that drives a person's sexual behavior, concludes the largest genetic study ever conducted on the issue. Instead, a person's attraction to those of the same sex is shaped by a complex mix of genetic and environmental influences, similar to what's seen in most other human traits, researchers report.

"This is a natural and normal part of variation in our species," said researcher Ben Neale, director of genetics with the Stanley Center for Psychiatric Research at the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard. "That should also support the position that we shouldn't try and develop gay cures. That's not in anyone's interest."

"...The research team discovered five specific genetic variants that were significantly associated with same-sex behavior, but when combined these variants explained less than 1% of any person's attraction to their own gender, Ganna said.

Overall, genetics account for between 8% and 25% of a person's same-sex attraction, taking into account the thousands of genetic traits ultimately involved in shaping a person's sexual desires, Neale said.

"It's effectively impossible to predict an individual's sexual behavior from their genome," Neale said. "Genetics is less than half of this story for sexual behavior, but it's still a very important contributing factor. These findings reinforce the importance of diversity as a key aspect of sexual behavior."

35 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

don't get your dick sucking gene riled Jblowme.

Yeah, don't feel too bad about being a raging alcoholic. Alcoholism has a genetic component too, so you're probably just the latest in a long line of Diehards to be afflicted. It's not your fault.

54 minutes ago, Gorka said:

Maybe God made a segment of the population fgts as a form of natural birth control in order to suppress world overpopulation.

I would have to hear OBF's take on that though.

So God would intentionally make a group of humans homosexual, only to create a commandment against homosexuality and eternally damn those whom he created "sick" and commanded to be well in the first place?

Seems legit. Only religion would attempt to square that circle of logic.

12 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

So God would intentionally make a group of humans homosexual, only to create a commandment against homosexuality and eternally damn those whom he created "sick" and commanded to be well in the first place?

Seems legit. Only religion would attempt to square that circle of logic.

Don't preach to me. How the fuck do I know?  No expert on religion or Bible so I consulted OBF on my theory.

Which commandment is against homosex anyway? No. 11?

Sensitive much? I wasn't "preaching" or calling you out; I was just pointing out the paradox of a God who'd simultaneously make a certain proportion of his creations homosexual while ordering them to not be homosexual upon pain of death and damnation.

As for the commandment(s):

Lev 18:22: "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."

Lev 20:13: "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

2 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Sensitive much? I wasn't "preaching" or calling you out; I was just pointing out the paradox of a God who'd simultaneously make a certain proportion of his creations homosexual while ordering them to not be homosexual upon pain of death and damnation.

As for the commandment(s):

Lev 18:22: "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."

Lev 20:13: "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

What does lying have to do with homosex? I think I'll just wait for OBF to clarify and go with what he says. He has tremendous knowledge of the Bible. I can tell you're more of a novice. 

33 minutes ago, Gorka said:

What does lying have to do with homosex? I think I'll just wait for OBF to clarify and go with what he says. He has tremendous knowledge of the Bible. I can tell you're more of a novice. 

I can't tell if this was a poor attempt at trolling, or if you're just simply mentally Retarded.

14 hours ago, Gorka said:

Maybe God made a segment of the population fgts as a form of natural birth control in order to suppress world overpopulation.

I would have to hear OBF's take on that though.

The "gay" gene is part of the debate (that some make) that God is so mean He makes people to be gay then condemns them to hell for it.  The bible portrays homosexuality as a sinful lifestyle similar to adultery. People were not born adulterers they choose to be. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

The "gay" gene is part of the debate (that some make) that God is so mean He makes people to be gay then condemns them to hell for it.  The bible portrays homosexuality as a sinful lifestyle similar to adultery. People were not born adulterers they choose to be. 

On the contrary my friend yes they are. They choose to be monogamous, or some people try to at any rate.. rule number one in nature is propagate. Food territory shelter self preservation and mating it's what animals fight over and so do we.

WSS

59 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

On the contrary my friend yes they are. They choose to be monogamous, or some people try to at any rate.. rule number one in nature is propagate. Food territory shelter self preservation and mating it's what animals fight over and so do we.

WSS

"Food territory shelter self preservation and mating it's what animals fight over and so do we."

This is true and what concerns me the most about the brave new world coming where that "old book" (that teaches us a higher way of living) is discarded and everyone does what is right in their own eyes. We have history as an example of periods of time in Israel's history where that happened and it always ended up badly.

Here is a good example of what I am talking about. God made us male and female. Simple. Yet when man gets better ideas all of a sudden we now have dozens and dozens of different confusing genders. God had it right all along. There are only two.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

"Food territory shelter self preservation and mating it's what animals fight over and so do we."

This is true and what concerns me the most about the brave new world coming where that "old book" (that teaches us a higher way of living) is discarded and everyone does what is right in their own eyes. We have history as an example of periods of time in Israel's history where that happened and it always ended up badly.

Yep. And one of the basic ideas is that self sacrifice for the benefit of others is good and Noble. I think that probably goes against human nature and maybe I'm cynical but I think those who espouse that especially in the political Realm are hypocritical and that they are just demanding that others sacrifice so they can get the votes of the perceived victims rather than actually having to sacrifice anything themselves.

Not to be facetious it sounds like not only the struggle between Satan and the Lord but the Federations versus the Klingons.

Especially in politics I have a hard time believing that compassion is honest.

WSS

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Yep. And one of the basic ideas is that self sacrifice for the benefit of others is good and Noble. I think that probably goes against human nature and maybe I'm cynical but I think those who espouse that especially in the political Realm are hypocritical and that they are just demanding that others sacrifice so they can get the votes of the perceived victims rather than actually having to sacrifice anything themselves.

Not to be facetious it sounds like not only the struggle between Satan and the Lord but the Federations versus the Klingons.

Especially in politics I have a hard time believing that compassion is honest.

WSS

On the other hand supposedly human beings are the only creatures that can think an abstract or spirituality.

WSS