Dt Ekuale 

Lb Avery Taylor 

CB  Thomas Burris

Suspended - Calloway Gathers

Not sleeping well this week

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bjh2130 said:

I'll be interested in Rico Gathers takes away Brown's spot as the third TE

we have not 1 TE that can block..Gathers had no interest in learning to block at dallas either..i don't think were done at TE position yet..kinda shocked cause we have a quality control coach on staff that could block at TE...Jim Dray

16 minutes ago, runyon27 said:

The only curious thing to me is how Ratley is still on this team. I think I would have taken, Willies, or Miller, or Strong over him.

Agreed ..... don't know how Ratley got in over Willies .... and the WR from the Titans did he work out with us and did we trade or get him from waivers ?

I trust the coaches and GM... But I have to say I'm not elated with the cuts. 

Some things that come to my mind:

1. We should have tried getting at least a late round pick for Colquitt. Maybe it was a gentlemen's agreement between FO and the player due to his good services. Only in that case I'd be OK. I wish him the best. 

2. I count Callaway as 6th receiver and Ag will defend Ratley, but I have heard way more about the other WRs that have been cut than him. Maybe they have decided to cut some WRs that probably will go to PS somewhere else and could be claimed easily if injuries come during season. Anyway, I think that Baker can do a lot with any receiver (see Perriman last year). 

3. Until I see someone doing it better than him, I still don't see why did we get rid of Fells. I'm not enthusiast about or TE group and I hope Njoku has improved his blocking this offseason, because OL is gonna need some help. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Nero said:

We should have tried getting at least a late round pick for Colquitt. Maybe it was a gentlemen's agreement between FO and the player due to his good services. Only in that case I'd be OK. I wish him the best. 

They definitely called around for a trade.  You have to find a willing partner. You can't make a trade if no one offers a trade which once it broke the browns were going with the hammer teams knew they were going to release him regardless. 

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Willies is the biggest surprise to me.

And me.  He's got good size.

.....and so now Dorsey is combing the cuts for guys to bring in.    

am a nc state fan & Burris making roster is a head scratcher.. believe it happened due to P.Gaines getting concussion vs lions in last game.(I saw Gaines play, but I never saw Gaines go down. It's a odd stash).time will tell 

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Bottom line:  he was a Browns draft pick.   The others were FA pickups.  That could be the difference.

You theorize that but you don't know that. My theory is they watch them all play daily and make the best decisions for the team, not who was drafted or not. Dorsey does not make these decisions in a vacuum. He talks to his entire staff and attends practices to verify their input.

14 hours ago, Nero said:

I trust the coaches and GM... But I have to say I'm not elated with the cuts. 

Some things that come to my mind:

1. We should have tried getting at least a late round pick for Colquitt. Maybe it was a gentlemen's agreement between FO and the player due to his good services. Only in that case I'd be OK. I wish him the best. 

2. I count Callaway as 6th receiver and Ag will defend Ratley, but I have heard way more about the other WRs that have been cut than him. Maybe they have decided to cut some WRs that probably will go to PS somewhere else and could be claimed easily if injuries come during season. Anyway, I think that Baker can do a lot with any receiver (see Perriman last year). 

3. Until I see someone doing it better than him, I still don't see why did we get rid of Fells. I'm not enthusiast about or TE group and I hope Njoku has improved his blocking this offseason, because OL is gonna need some help. 

Great post.

I posted the exact same thing about Fells.  Despite his age, he has very little football wear and tear on his body.  He is a very reliable blocker, which REALLY helped out both of our OTs last year. 

I wasn't a huge Ratley fan either. Then again, I'm not there to see what he does in practice.  The reason you haven't heard much about him throughout Training Camp is because he was injured up until the last week (after impressive showings at the mini's). 

If I'm not mistaking here, Colquitt was one of the highest paid Punters in the league so it wasn't going to be a gotta have trade for anyone. Not for nothing, Dorsey seems like he loves to trade so I'm guessing he at least tried to do so with Colquitt.  Someone will probably land him; but the supply and demand might mean a big pay cut.  This cut actually makes our cap healthier while we upgraded the position.   

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You theorize that but you don't know that. My theory is they watch them all play daily and make the best decisions for the team, not who was drafted or not. Dorsey does not make these decisions in a vacuum. He talks to his entire staff and attends practices to verify their input.

Yes...it is a theory....but not that wild of one.  And you are right...Dorsey does NOT make decisions in a vacuum.  He drafted  Ratley.  He believed in him enough to do so.  He has loyalty to his draftees...and maybe he is showing that here....even if Ratley has not outwardly shown what he has.  Dorsey still believes in him....and has decided to retain him over other players that may seem ...to us, to have outperformed Ratley. And just like Flugel said, he and the coaches see things in practice that we don't see on pre-season gameday.

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

If I'm not mistaking here, Colquitt was one of the highest paid Punters in the league so it wasn't going to be a gotta have trade for anyone. Not for nothing, Dorsey seems like he loves to trade so I'm guessing he at least tried to do so with Colquitt.  Someone will probably land him; but the supply and demand might mean a big pay cut.  This cut actually makes our cap healthier while we upgraded the position.   

It helps the cap we went cheaper at punter obviously by 2.2 million.  Gillan set to make just under 500k vs 2.7 m for colquitt. We have spent 1.99 million on Teller McCray and Taylor. So right now we have saved 300k

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

It helps the cap we went cheaper at punter obviously by 2.2 million.  Gillan set to make just under 500k vs 2.7 m for colquitt. We have spent 1.99 million on Teller McCray and Taylor. So right now we have saved 300k

I am not of the real opinion that money was at the heart of this decision.  Browns still well under the cap..no?   So, I don't know that the extra 2 mill for Colquitt was deciding.

On 9/1/2019 at 1:34 PM, The Gipper said:

I am not of the real opinion that money was at the heart of this decision.  Browns still well under the cap..no?   So, I don't know that the extra 2 mill for Colquitt was deciding.

Yes the browns have about 34 million left to spend but that is all carryover cap money from previous years. Which means once its used its gone and it's typically used for help resigning stars coming off their rookie contracts (Myles, Njoku Baker and Ward the 1st rounders next up).  The nfl salary cap for this season 188,200,000 and the browns have 210,563,000 tied up in contracts this year.  So they are actually 22 million over the nfl cap but had 56 million of "leftover cap".

So let's say they went crazy and spent that 34 million bringing in a couple good players in trade bringing their total cap this year to 244.5 million.  If they only have 56 million coming off the books this year in expiring contracts they would not be able to resign any of those players because they would already be at the NFL salary cap limit of 188.2 million (though it will likely increase to mid 190's next year)  and would have no leftover cap to spend.

Since they are already over the NFL salary cap I can practically assure you that they are looking to save pennies anywhere they can and keeping Gillan over Colquitt did have something to do with saving 2.2 million. Obviously they wouldn't go with a significantly worse player because they are in contending mode. Colquitt, right now, is one of the better punter in the league and a significantly better holder so age money and potential definitely played a role. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1