THE BROWNS BOARD

Offensive Line Analysis

Phil03

Nice job! I don't agree that Hadnot beats out a healthy Tucker @ RG. I like Rex, but if Tucker is working out like a beast (from what I have heard) and is healthy, I see him @ RG over Hadnot.

St Clair vs Foster @ RT - I see Foster as of now. But I agree that St Clair could take the job.

Nice job! I don't agree that Hadnot beats out a healthy Tucker @ RG. I like Rex, but if Tucker is working out like a beast (from what I have heard) and is healthy, I see him @ RG over Hadnot.

St Clair vs Foster @ RT - I see Foster as of now. But I agree that St Clair could take the job.

I agree that a healthy Tucker is better than Hadnot but I also think Hadnot is superior to St. Clair and Foster. My guess is Hadnot starts at RG and Tucker at RT.

I just made a small change to the article to make that more clear.

I'm thinking Tucker starts at RG....

With Steinbach on the left and Tucker on the right, the rookie center (Mack) just might have a pro bowl season....

I'm thinking Mangini would want to give his rookie center as much veteran protection / guidance as possible.....

I'm also thinking that if healthy, Tucker is one of the best lineman on the squad....

Maybe I'm just thinking too much....

peace

T.Dawg

Guest Aloysius

To be honest, I don't think Foster's competing for a starting job. He's merely depth behind St. Clair at right tackle, which we'll need if Tucker gets hurt or plays RG.

Here's some film from Foster's second to last start. He got benched at halftime; you can see why.

(Click on the arrows pointing outwards button to watch it fullscreen)

To be honest, I don't think Foster's competing for a starting job. He's merely depth behind St. Clair at right tackle, which we'll need if Tucker gets hurt or plays RG.

Here's some film from Foster's second to last start. He got benched at halftime; you can see why.

(Click on the arrows pointing outwards button to watch it fullscreen)

check out 3:20 in that video

wow...

He looks like he needs to get stronger, he lets Kampman get into his chest and redirect him instead of using his arms and hands to keep him away from his body so he still has leverage. I don't no if he has short arms or he just isn't strong enough. His feet looked quick enough, its just at first contact he's the one getting redirected instead of the defensive player. Also it would probably help to get a chip from a TE or RB once in a while. It was just him one on one every play againt one of the better pass rushers in the league.

Ok couple things:

1 - Foster was getting owned the first half. Running out of gas, being pushed into the ground several times, not getting low/leverage, and getting beat around the edge.

2 - Detroit sucked. They were down 21-0 and kept passing the ball, allowing Kampman (a very good pass rusher) to tee off and get after the QB.

3 - Foster is not the RT to have if you need to pass a lot in those situations, at least he wasn't in this game. Is it technique or heart? I don't know.

4 - He seemed to run block very well.

5 - Give me a RT next season and move this guy to guard, and maybe that solves his problems.

But that half was silly. He should have been sat down. Did he quit or run out of gas? I don't know, but one is almost as bad as the other - I don't like quitters, and running out of gas means you're a fatass out of shape NFL player.

We'll see. I do think I have to re-evaluate him @ RT but this was one game and it is the Lions.

These are really the only two setups I'd really be comfortable with, and it hinges upon whether we think Hadnot or St. Clair is the least weak of the weak links. I think Foster and Poke Chop are destined for the bench, with Hadnot or St. Clair joining them.

This is a pretty deep line...Tucker's flexibility helps us greatly.

LT Thomas

LG Steinbach

C Mack

RG Hadnot

RT Tucker

OR

LT Thomas

LG Steinbach

C Mack

RG Tucker

RT St. Clair

There is no comparison between Hadnot and Tucker, if Tucker is healthy. At present, he is 100% so the RG job is his and it was the reason Hadnot was backing up Steinbach and center in minicamp. I never was real impressed with Foster and think the job is St Clair's to lose. The only way Hadnot starts at RG is if Tucker gets hurt or neither St Clair or Foster can man the RT job. The Browns don't want to put Tucker at RT unless they really have to. You move him to RT and you have two spots that are not positions of strength. With Tucker at RG the OL is solid with the only question being RT which can be given some help in 3rd and long situations.

I just don't understand the fascination with a very average guy like Hadnot. He certainly isn't in Tucker's class.

Regardless of where Tucker lines up, this line will be a great one. Without Tucker, it's a good one.

Translation: We really need Tuck to stay healthy in order for our line to be consistently good across the board. My money says it's Tuck at RG and St. Clair at RT which means there is no excuse for Jamal to not have over 4 yards a carry.

He looks like he needs to get stronger, he lets Kampman get into his chest and redirect him instead of using his arms and hands to keep him away from his body so he still has leverage. I don't no if he has short arms or he just isn't strong enough. His feet looked quick enough, its just at first contact he's the one getting redirected instead of the defensive player. Also it would probably help to get a chip from a TE or RB once in a while. It was just him one on one every play againt one of the better pass rushers in the league.

I agree completely.

It looks like Foster gets into position well and then instead of trying to gain control he just waits for the other guys move and usually gets beat.

I think he has good feet and if he was more aggressive against the pass rush he could be all right.

I also think though that right now he is our third option if not fourth but I think he can ne at least a serviceable backup.

I just don't understand the fascination with a very average guy like Hadnot. He certainly isn't in Tucker's class.

No he isn't, but he may be less of a weak link than St. Clair or Foster (who just stinks).

But you're right. We're probably best off with Tucker at RG, where he could really excel, than at RT where he would be average.

Archived