THE BROWNS BOARD

Overreaction Monday

Nero

speaking referee calls..;.

what in the hell was that quick whistle on Baker being grabbed by the shoulder?

what...in...the...hell.....was.....THAT ?>???

Baker pulled away just fine.

But when Baker got driven into the turf, banging his head on the turf...no call?

and another tackle...Baker was on the ground and another player hit him?

THEN you hear the whistle?

Something is wrong with the NFL referees. Some teams get screwed with questionable calls, and other....favorite teams laugh when their falgrant fouls are not called. It isn't just the Browns.

6 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Bwahaha. 

Honestly, the offense looked pretty decent for a while if the penalties weren't so prevalent. WTF was that illegal blind side block crap they called on Robinson? I mean, Jesus. We also had two drops BY Njoku, and both hurt. Drive killers. 

What a mess. 

No team is going to win a game committing 180+ yards of penalties.  Take  those out and the  stats were pretty even.  We were constantly  in first or second and a mile,  tough to  convert those. I'll  have a chance to  look at the game  replay today, but I'll say at the  game, the fans were about  ready to start throwing  bottles at the refs.

Someone needs to install some discipline here, and it all starts with Kitchens. Can't be a players coach in this league. Maybe he needs to make an example of someone? Give the team a wake up call. Do it now, you set the example, do it later, your'e just reacting. Better to be proactive now, then reactive later. Should of ran the ball a whole lot more and early. Have a feeling we will probably be looking at the WW to see who is out there, or contacting other teams about some LT that is available. Think I would of rather of seen Lawrence and Ogunjobi in the center with Garrett and Avery crashing the ends. And Mack Wilson would of gave us some good minutes as well, at least he could cover DWalker. It's just 1 game, so we will see if they get it together next week.

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

But when Baker got driven into the turf, banging his head on the turf...no call?

Something is wrong with the NFL referees. Some teams get screwed with questionable calls, and other....favorite teams laugh when their falgrant fouls are not called. It isn't just the Browns.

I've seen that same call dozens of times, even almost 20 years ago (when I believe the first started trying to protect the QB with the "in the grasp" calls).

It was an early whistle, but once it is blown, you can't "re-start" the play.  You can't blow the whistle and then say, "No, wait, I shouldn't have blown it, keep playing."

7 minutes ago, Icecube said:

I've seen that same call dozens of times, even almost 20 years ago (when I believe the first started trying to protect the QB with the "in the grasp" calls).

It was an early whistle, but once it is blown, you can't "re-start" the play.  You can't blow the whistle and then say, "No, wait, I shouldn't have blown it, keep playing."

True, but "in the grasp" is so seldom called these days what with all the other protections built into the rules.

1 hour ago, blitzz2 said:

Someone needs to install some discipline here, and it all starts with Kitchens. Can't be a players coach in this league. Maybe he needs to make an example of someone? Give the team a wake up call. Do it now, you set the example, do it later, your'e just reacting. Better to be proactive now, then reactive later. Should of ran the ball a whole lot more and early. Have a feeling we will probably be looking at the WW to see who is out there, or contacting other teams about some LT that is available. 

This. It's been my concern all along. I know Freddie is likeable, and is the basic opposite of jerk coaches, like Haley.  So, everyone is comfortable with Freddie around. But sometimes being "comfortable" isn't what is needed in the NFL. Do you remember Parcells' 1st year as the Giants' head coach? (I don't "remember" it, other than from the Documentaries, etc., that's been done on him). After he realized he was probably coaching his last season if he didn't win more, he told his assistant coaches, "the players aren't going to like me, but I have to coach my way moving forward and that's just the way it has to be." He went on to win 2 rings with that team, but was not fun for the players to be around, but most of them love him now, knowing he had to crack the whip to get the results he needed. Jimmy Johnson was the same way, players say they were terrified to be around him. Hoodie, the same. 

Phil Simms always says, in order to prepare for football, you have to be pushed to do things you wouldn't do on your own (with some rare exceptions). Does FK do that enough? Is there a reason he was never considered for any head coaching jobs prior to this, on any level? A buddy of mine went to camp this year and told me FK was running tougher camps than any prior coach he had seen. I don't know. All I know is the product they put on the field yesterday screams of a lack of discipline. 18 penalties, sloppiness. That falls on the head coach, does it not?

55 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

True, but "in the grasp" is so seldom called these days what with all the other protections built into the rules.

It's called less, you are right. But it's still in the book. As long as it is, there will be some plays where the whistle is blown early, it will happen. The QB looks like he can't get away, but then does. 

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Its called 'in the grasp' another save the quarterback pussy rule.