THE BROWNS BOARD

Rams' game reality check

Icecube

On 9/18/2019 at 5:04 PM, Icecube said:

They got to get Baker more open to hitting the open man instead of always trying to hit a big play. He is pushing too much so far. 

This is basically it in a nutshell.  Baker has said as much, Freddie harped on it, and now it's time to put knowledge into action.

That being said, it's going to be a tough ask for our team to win.  Our injury report is like nothing I've ever seen on week 3.  Kirksey is now out (likely for the year and probably won't play for us again), Demarious Randall is likely out, Hubbard hasn't practiced, Ward AND Greedy both came down with hamstring injuries yesterday (not sure how serious), Njoku out for month or more, and lord knows what else.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

This is basically it in a nutshell.  Baker has said as much, Freddie harped on it, and now it's time to put knowledge into action.

That being said, it's going to be a tough ask for our team to win.  Our injury report is like nothing I've ever seen on week 3.  Kirksey is now out (likely for the year and probably won't play for us again), Demarious Randall is likely out, Hubbard hasn't practiced, Ward AND Greedy both came down with hamstring injuries yesterday (not sure how serious), Njoku out for month or more, and lord knows what else.  

I knew a very avid and somewhat successful gambler that looked at the injury report first and then bet the team with the most names listed. Doesn’t really make sense to me but he did win money that way...... Go figure

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I knew a very avid and somewhat successful gambler that looked at the injury report first and then bet the team with the most names listed. Doesn’t really make sense to me but he did win money that way...... Go figure

LOL, well hopefully that holds true because I'm not sure how we're going to put 53 players in PADS Sunday night.  The only way we win in my eyes is if we have "that game" where the defense gets a pick-6, the special teams has a huge play, we cause several turnovers (an INT would be nice at SOME point, right?  lol), and we can run the ball all night.  We were relatively lucky last year with injuries, and this year has started out pretty rough.  If Hubbard can't go, I don't want to THINK about what our backup is going to look like.  Also, BOTH starting safeties have yet to practice and it's not looking good for either.  

*sigh*

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Kirksey out for the year?   I have heard nothing about that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

It's not confirmed yet, but it doesn't look good. Right now he's getting a second opinion, but it sounds like a torn pec. 

We could literally be without our entire secondary, and I'm not even being dramatic. Randall is ruled out, Burnett is questionable, as are Greedy and Ward. Kirskey is out, Hubbard might play, and we're going to be without Njoku for at least a month, but I'm guessing much longer. 

Ughhhhhhh..... 

44 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

It's not confirmed yet, but it doesn't look good. Right now he's getting a second opinion, but it sounds like a torn pec. 

We could literally be without our entire secondary, and I'm not even being dramatic. Randall is ruled out, Burnett is questionable, as are Greedy and Ward. Kirskey is out, Hubbard might play, and we're going to be without Njoku for at least a month, but I'm guessing much longer. 

Ughhhhhhh..... 

Greedy and Ward are irreplaceable we can deal without the others and probably feel no major setback from the backup.

This is the kind of team that Greedy and Ward are made for - fleet footed smallish WRs the Rams have. Carrie no thanks against these guys- he will have five penalties 

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Heard a Pec injury as well. But do like the thought of M.Wilson getting the opportunity to get plenty of game time. We know he can drop into coverage underneath and line up with TE'S,Although I don't see LA's TE's as big threats. I think once the game slows down for him, he will be a steal and make Kirksey/Schobert Expendable.

I get the feeling we're in deep trouble and I really don't see a weakness on this Rams team. And we're not likely to be any healthier next week at Baltimore, which totally sucks. Our entire freakin secondary is hurt, which I've literally never seen in my life through only two games. Hubbard is in a walking boot, and THAT scares me. 

12 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I heard even "the boot" is listed as doubtful...

Our podcast said they'd be extremely surprised to see Hubbard play Sunday night, so I guess we'll see.  To me, that means he's not going to play because they almost certainly have insider information, even if it's just watching him limp around.  To be fair, Tretter was in a boot basically the entire YEAR, but this doesn't sound like the same thing to me.  I'm extremely concerned about our tackle depth, as I don't think we even HAVE one on the roster.  

Aside from Baker, Myles, or OBJ getting injured, we're having about as bad of luck as you can have right now.  This is what makes winning in the NFL so very difficult, as injuries are impossible to predict, and they drastically impact the performance of a team.  We didn't look great offensively when we HAD everyone out there, so I can't see how we're going to somehow "put it together" when missing our RT, TE, lord knows who else.  We had about the best injury luck on earth last year, and now it appears as if the pendulum has swung.  

Now, this doesn't mean we CAN'T win, just that it would take a bizarre set of circumstances for us to pull it out.  It would go something like this:  The Rams settle for FG's virtually every drive and we whip out the "bend don't break" defense.  We have "that game" where the ball bounces our way, like the Rams fumble a punt return and we hop on it.  We deflect a pass at the line and it floats softly to Mack Wilson and he takes it to the house.  Rams have a coverage breakdown like the Jets and leave OBJ open down the field, or forget to cover Landry deep on a seam route.  We need to make our own luck, but we're also going to need some help from the football gods.  We're NOT going to be able to run the ball, as we're likely to be trailing early.  The Rams are probably going to tee off on our OL on passing downs, and I struggle to see how we can truly keep this close without some spectacular luck kicking in.  

I don't want to sound negative, I HATE being negative after only two games when our team is 1-1, but this game feels very much like our last game against the Jets.  The Jets were completely banged up, just like we're going to be, and the only difference is that the Rams will hang a 50 burger on you if you come out stale.  The one point I want to continue to make, and the ONE thing that gives me SOME hope is that the Rams struggled during their first game of the season at Carolina, and the stats say that Goff doesn't play quite as well on the road.  That's as close of a weakness as the Rams have, and it's just how it is.  If we can hold them to FG's in the first half, manage to scrape together a few points and keep the game close as the second half goes on, we can MAYBE scratch out a win.  Keep it close and have one of your playmakers win the game for you.  Myles with the strip-sack and we return it for a TD, our secondary with the pick-6, or just a "routine" 60 yard TD bomb to OBJ.  Special players make special plays when you need them the most, and that's something we've been missing for a LONG time.

C'mon Brownies, win a home game you're not supposed to win.  LET'S FREAKING GO. 

39 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

So far the Rams offense has been very flat. That combined with the fact Goff I pretty bad I’m away games might help us. Guys are going to have to step up. 

One of the many things that has me nervous isn't really losing the game.  I honestly think we can lose and STILL feel pretty good about ourselves.  That being said, what really scares me is our team getting down early and then our offense trying to pass their way back into it.  If Baker has another repeat of game 1 and throws one of his 3 pick games again, things could get a little ugly.  His confidence could be shaken, regardless of his personality, the media pundits will light him up, and the pressure cooker gets turned up a notch heading into freaking Baltimore.  If Baker has another rough game, it could REALLY spiral out of control, and that's something that scares me more than anything.  Getting pass happy further makes me nervous because I don't want Baker to get injured.  We already know he's holding onto the ball too long, and losing Baker would essentially ruin our season before it started. 

You know what?  Let's just blow them out and completely change the narrative, LOL.  

Oh, one more thing.  Remember how last year Freddie would call some crazy trick plays and it seemed like almost all of them worked?  We haven't seen too much of that, and I'm worried he's going to force something early that's going to completely blow up in our faces.  It's funny, when things aren't exactly going your way, the little things like that just don't seem to work.  On the other hand, perhaps some creativity and a correctly timed fake or trick play could be the spark we need to get rolling!

• Upvote 1

Watched some Rams tape on both their games.. 1) They ran the ball over 30 times in both W1=166, W2=115.. 2.) Stubborn against it, Saints tried 20 gaining only 57 yards. That's with Kamara  3) Goff wears a protective brace on front throwing leg..Has limited mobility in or out pocket. Goff has been sacked 3 times in both games.He threw a pick in week 1. Fumbled once in week 2. 4) With all the flag throwing, McVay coaches discipline 5/8.. 5) Running right at Donald, or wide has shown not much success. off guard & tackle has a chance. 5)Fowler & Brockers are very fast at closing the outside edge's turning RB's inside..Clay Matthews & Cory Littleton are not the fastest of LB'ers..But they don't miss many either taking direct good tackling angles. 6) Our Tackles must show up..Fowler has 2 sacks/Matthews 2 & Brockers 1... The sky ain't fallen Browns fans..the lambs have also given up a blocked punt... shut this run game down between the chains & lets play with your as$es on fire from both sides of the ball..Injuries only reflect your teams sorry depth..and Am certainly not conceding on something only our coaches have seen.. strap'em up & Go Brown$ !!   

2 hours ago, jcam222 said:

So far the Rams offense has been very flat. That combined with the fact Goff I pretty bad I’m away games might help us. Guys are going to have to step up. 

Even if LA hasn't been great, they are still a bigger challenge with the Jets and their backup QB. Got to play better than that. 

18 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I get the feeling we're in deep trouble and I really don't see a weakness on this Rams team. And we're not likely to be any healthier next week at Baltimore, which totally sucks. Our entire freakin secondary is hurt, which I've literally never seen in my life through only two games. Hubbard is in a walking boot, and THAT scares me. 

They have a weakness at QB.. I really don't think Jared Goff is all that great , honestly...

7 hours ago, nickers said:

They have a weakness at QB.. I really don't think Jared Goff is all that great , honestly...

Rating each of last two seasons >100...

So he doesn't exactly suck.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Rating each of last two seasons >100...

So he doesn't exactly suck.

He's a tad above marginal but not elite by any means...

15 hours ago, nickers said:

He’s not great. At least not yet. If we can make a play or two, get the crowd a lil rowdy, he can rattle.  Not to mention 3 time zones from home. Warm, humid and pretty breezy equals at least one int. I really think we win this one. Big stage, big crowd and with the Tribe game getting flexed, it’s going to be a real playoff/pennant race kind of atmosphere. 

• Upvote 1