THE BROWNS BOARD

Rams' game reality check

Icecube

On 9/17/2019 at 6:17 PM, Mudfly said:

Definitely need to step up the running game and utilize Chubb better......the whole flow to the offense has been very disjointed... the limited running plays weve seen have not been properly set up either.....not so sure its an issue with the line, as much as the flow and predictability of the plays....Freddie and Baker both need to settle down and develop some chemistry(and patience)....

I haven't been impressed with our ability to run the ball OR our ability to call the rushing plays. Whenever we run it, it just seems like the defense KNOWS we're doing it and is waiting for Chubb. The one real exception was Chubb's 19 yard TD, which was beautiful. Other than that ONE play, we haven't had much with running it, and many people both here AND nationally expected Chubb to be going slightly bananas. 

Now, it's been two games, so nobody is sounding the "WTF Alarm" just yet. I think the PROBLEM fans are having is that we ended last year on such a high note in terms of our offensive execution, QB protection, and rhythm, that it was only natural to believe SOME of that would bleed into this year. We have 80% of the same OL, the same QB, the same play caller, and much of the same personnel, so why does it seem like every first down is such a struggle? I believe we're something like 5-26 on 3rd down this year, and we're extremely ineffective in the red zone. These are two vital areas where we succeeded last year with Kitchens, but now it's struggle bus. 

Here's one example. Against the Jets OBJ makes an incredible one-handed snag on a deep ball, and it's first and goal from the 5. First down, Chubb run for nothing. Anyone who watches football knows that first down is the best for play-action. Then we try two more pass plays that don't work (Baker actually missed an open receiver early as he rolled out in the middle of the field, but he's not comfortable throwing it across the middle this year, probably because he's throwing high). Anyway, I would have liked to see us try to run two more times instead of pass because either you score on those plays OR you might get close enough to go for it on 4th and sneak it in or whatever. 

Kitchens will place a high degree of importance on rhythm this game, and do not be surprised if we start out in no-huddle or switch to it early if we stall. This will help with getting the plays called in and also give Baker the ability to recognize coverage as well as get him into the rhythm we know he prefers. 

We still have enough talent to win, but I wouldn't bet on it. We score TDs and hold them to FG'S, we'll be in this game in the 4th quarter. 

3 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

So they choke on sweet smog free air. Yes, the weather here at game time is hot, muggy and windy. And it’s still 3 time zones away. LA sucks. Hate it and what difference does it make where I’ve been regarding the weather here?

Now I have to explain your own posts to you???

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

The weather forecasts? No I don’t understand your reply yes I’ve been to la. Didn’t like it. What’s your point. Ok, now put a hat onit. 

Hot, muggy and windy. No rain til we’ll after mid nite. Unconfused yet?

Seriously, how many head injuries have you suffered over the years? 

Can't find the stats I read yesterday, but the jist was:

• Our D is near bottom of the League vs. PAP (31st, I think it said) while...
  • Goff and the Ram's lead the league in PAP playcalls.

Not exactly a confidence builder.

Still looking for the above notes...

... came across this as I did.

Los Angeles Rams @ Cleveland Browns

Jared Goff performs much better when throwing in rhythm – he owns a 138.8 passer rating (second-best) on throws with a snap to pass of 2.5 seconds or less. The Browns coverage unit has shown cracks to quick passes, allowing a 118.5 passer rating on these throws. Brandin Cooks has caught four of four quick targets for 56 yards, three explosive plays, one touchdown, and a perfect 158.3 passer rating.

Baker Mayfield has struggled against the Cover 3 scheme this season, tossing all four of his interceptions on 23 attempts. The Rams defense rolls out a Cover 3 on 48% of passing plays, the fourth highest rate in the league.

I think I'll quit looking... :unsure:

39 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

It might get downright windy at times tonight. Outa the south and pushing 30 at times. Gonna have to run it a lot. 

This, on the other hand, might affect Goff. 

I liked Goff entering the Draft, he's been very good the last season+, but I get the impression that he doesn't handle poor weather well. 

On 9/18/2019 at 6:16 PM, Icecube said:

I know I am dating myself, but didn't that play remind you of the hit Browns put on Don Beebe in the playoffs? It was the season before the Bills got really good. He's so lucky he walked away. 

Yep, watching the game with 2 friends all in our 60's, first thing we thought of... 

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Lived in long beach while my ship was in the yards, the air pollution is terrible.  Humidity is low and temps are mild except when the Santa Ann winds kick in, then it gets hot.

what the hell does that have to do with anything ? I bet you were real popular with the boys below deck

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yes, and we were comparing the humidity levels between Cleveland and LA......as someone commented on how the Rams may feel some discomfort about how it will be out on the field out there with that humidity level.

No Gip, I commented that it will be hot humid and breezy. Perfect weather to send losers back to lalaland.  From there it went full blown looney tunes weather comparisons. 

4 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

No Gip, I commented that it will be hot humid and breezy. Perfect weather to send losers back to lalaland.  From there it went full blown looney tunes weather comparisons. 

hahahahha  and it just gave dhbf a reason to bring up his glory  days as the boats bitch

• Haha 1